Fishing Magic - your thoughts

Bluenose

Reaction score
When GM was editor, he would get a bit frustrated because he felt there was far more to the site, he felt members weren't seeing past the forums. Obviously he worked on the site daily and was aware of all the various functions and areas of the site that received little in the way of interest. However seeing as how active and vocal he was as a member and editor, it's worth noting that even then, the forums held sway.

Regarding member articles, just look at Ray R's post today with regards new rods and a reel. A great little write up, some excellent photos, culminating in decent thread and some excellent information. There's potential for tackle review thereafter also, which I'm sure Ray would oblige with, were the function available.

Refreshing the home page with items similar to this a few times a week would, I think, increase interest. It doesn't necessarily have to be about fishing in far off shores or catching monsters. Sometimes we want something relatively simple to give us a bit of a push, just to get out on the bank and take a few snaps ourself.

A bit of a link share from the author on Facebook or wherever and am sure that could draw in more traffic. A look on most Facebook species groups will reveal similar posts and similar quality photos, it would be nice if people posted things like that here. That could be one way to encourage them?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
A quick glance at the 'Home' page will show that members are going through the article archive as shown
by the 'Trending' banner.

The fact is that they have to go through the archive are there has been a dearth of new articles over the past 18 months the most recent being six months old.

Whether articles have been submitted or not is another matter.....

The 'old' way of FM was to encourage everyone to get involved, submissions were encouraged, welcomed, sometimes even begged or threatened, and regardless of content would generally see the light.

On really bad weeks when there was really nothing useful left, GM would even put up some of my ramblings, just to fill a space.

The point being that this kept the site fresh and also usually generated forum discussion, good or bad. That feeling of belonging is what seems to be missing at present, in my opinion

The old adage stills applies - 'Ask not what FM can do for you, ask what YOU can do for FM'.......

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. I get the general impression that people aren't so interested in a magazine-type site, but would prefer articles in the forum, and the opportunity to discuss them with the author? I like the idea of member articles too. If we could find a way to have a decent review section would people want to contribute to this?

I agree I could chip in more - I certainly find a lot of the discussions interesting but don't have as much time to spend here as I'd like - I will try and rectify that!

Those asking what we at F&F want from the site - really we just want a popular site that people want to visit and contribute to. We are a business, so we do need to cover running costs and ideally make a bit of a profit, but we are not a big faceless company trying to make big bucks from the site. I agree many of the main news sites like the Daily Mail are pretty much unusable due to their attempts to monetise everything, and would hate that to happen here. We are well aware that there is a long history on FM and we want to preserve that and build something genuinely enjoyable to use. It's just working out how we do that that's the challenge! Keep the comments and ideas coming, they really are so useful, so thanks to everyone who has commented so far!
The trouble is members articles dried up before, the previous editor always tried to get them going again but they dried up, I did a couple myself but they did not get much reaction. The people on here said they rarely read them and some of them were very good even after they went into decline. If you can re awaken that side then all to the good but you need to attract a bigger usership as you have said you want. To which getting rid or changing the deadwood sections, target the commercial fishery clientele which is the most popular angling market now. Most don't want it but it doesn't mean getting rid of the current FM culture, just something alongside it, a couple of dedicated threads or sections wouldn't hurt. However, you have already turned down any suggestions along those lines. This forum has gone very stale in my time on here, it has become all the same, same posters, same topics for a number of years. If it was a business, it wouldn't survive, it is probably only kept going because it might as well, not because it is a big vibrant modern, ever evolving angling forum.

Frothey

Reaction score
You have to remember there’s an awful lot of people that read the articles, but didn’t comment on the forum. Maybe a “page views” counter would help motivate those who felt deflated when there were no comments.

You only have to look at how many articles were nicked by other websites/blog ?

mikench

Reaction score
I will be very honest now. Until recently I simply clicked on the FM icon on my iPad, saw the Same magestic peacock bass on the opening page and headed straight to the members forums. To my shame I have subconsciously ignored the articles as though they did not exist. Am I alone in doing so ; I suspect not.

The articles are well written, documented with photos or cartoons and have clearly taken a great deal of thought. As such they deserve far more than a quick glance. Frothy makes a very good point and these articles should have the facility attached to them for comment by the reader and the ability to give thanks or likes. I would go further and amalgamate the articles within the forums or vice versa thus serving to remind and reinforce evidence of their existence. We have a number of topics within which to post a thread, like or give thanks for it, and to respond. Could the articles be put( in addition to their current location) in a heading of Articles of the month or put within general fishing just as a new thread.

They deserve to be more widely read and enjoyed. In addition the front page, current Martin Salter and his Peacock Bass should be alternated with other articles more frequently, both current and old. It's the new image that is effective .

I feel sure that those who produce good articles, well written blogs and other pieces of creative writing must feel frustrated at the lack of views and comments perceived or otherwise. If you can't click an emoji how is the author to know one way or the other. The excellent blogs by the Artist at least have this function enabled but they should have greater prominence imo .

I'm sure you are looking at the suggestions made and will not want to try them wholesale all at once . I'm sure that a fresh look at what is looked at the most, what isn't and what has no activity will produce sound improvements. An example is the forum/sub forum headed Match results. It has produced a number of posts from the same guy, no emojis and very very few replies. We see and very much enjoy seeing and reading about the exploits of Peter Crabtree, Silvers and the Runner in the HDYGO thread. Those match reports are looked at, are far from dry and boring and are a popular feature.

In short the Articles need more and greater exposure imo.

Last edited:

Frothey

Reaction score
You always used to reply directly to the article at the bottom of it - but I think there would be more interaction with articles about “real” fishing than the exotic stuff, things people can relate to and utilise in their actual fishing. Especially as the option to go abroad is a bit limited at the moment! Chilt’s articles about fly fishing for bonefish/tarpon were about the only ones I can remember from back in the day. But I have had a drink since then.

Wakou

Reaction score
Hi all,

Following on from yesterday's announcement about John Bailey joining the team to write for Fishing Magic, we would be really interested to hear your views........ (snipped)

Kirsty
Hi @Kirsty Hewitt. I joined the site this very morning, because of @John Bailey. (Before the estimable and admirable Mr Bailey gets too big for his waders, I followed a googled link to a John Bailey article!) I shall introduce myself over on the appropriate page, possibly after the rugby!

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @Kirsty Hewitt. I joined the site this very morning, because of @John Bailey. (Before the estimable and admirable Mr Bailey gets too big for his waders, I followed a googled link to a John Bailey article!) I shall introduce myself over on the appropriate page, possibly after the rugby!

Hello! That’s lovely to hear, John will be very pleased I’m sure. Welcome to the forum!

Aknib

Reaction score
I have to say that it's pleasantly refreshing that the FM management are seeking the views of the readership with regards the future direction and content within the site instead of just ploughing ahead with ideas gleaned from a handful of people sitting around a table.

I think Fishing Magic is a very successful and long lived forum and I hope it goes from strength to strength, actions like this which involve the input of the wider readership will only improve that so thanks for inviting and considering our views Kirsty.

I had a flounce once and cancelled my membership after several very enjoyable years and ten thousand plus posts due to what were very annoying pop up ads, I simply couldn't abide them not only for the irritation but also for the fact that they were completely untargeted in what they offered and the whole thing was a disruption without gain for all concerned and conversations like this will hopefully open up the kind of interaction that will prevent such things from reoccurring.

The very best of luck with it and I hope you find many great suggestions for strengthening the site and widening the readership and forum participation.

Kirsty Hewitt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say that it's pleasantly refreshing that the FM management are seeking the views of the readership with regards the future direction and content within the site instead of just ploughing ahead with ideas gleaned from a handful of people sitting around a table.

I think Fishing Magic is a very successful and long lived forum and I hope it goes from strength to strength, actions like this which involve the input of the wider readership will only improve that so thanks for inviting and considering our views Kirsty.

I had a flounce once and cancelled my membership after several very enjoyable years and ten thousand plus posts due to what were very annoying pop up ads, I simply couldn't abide them not only for the irritation but also for the fact that they were completely untargeted in what they offered and the whole thing was a disruption without gain for all concerned and conversations like this will hopefully open up the kind of interaction that will prevent such things from reoccurring.

The very best of luck with it and I hope you find many great suggestions for strengthening the site and widening the readership and forum participation.

Thankyou! We definitely want to involve the readership in what we do, no point otherwise. You’ve probably noticed the lack of ads - we have a problem with the ad setup so they aren’t working. We’ll have to reintroduce them at some point just to keep the sites going but will try and avoid the annoying pop up ones, they wind me up too!

Krang

Reaction score
I'd like to see lure reviews. It's often difficult to find independent ones. Take a look at what comes up when you type "jointed scatter rap review" into google. It's either stuff directly from Rapala, or sites trying to sell them. In some cases there are some independent reviews, but in more cases than not all that you'll be able to find is reviews on amazon, which are hardly in depth.

Krang

Reaction score
Was John Baily the fishing consultant for that episode where they went trying to catch a pike and failed to do so?
Surprised he wasn't sacked. Five year olds with spinners could have done better.

Philip

Reaction score
I have been posting on FM since back in 1999 or thereabouts. I had to change i.d a few times in various site upgrades and shakeups and took a break around the Barbel wars time when it went through lets say, a dark period. However like allot of people I think the best moment for the site was early on under Graham Marsden. The forum was vibrant and fresh and there was a sense of community to things.

Graham put allot of emphasis on people contributing articles and –importantly- he nearly always put those articles as the front headline piece when people visited the site, at least for a day or two. I think that made a huge difference. People saw their name “up in lights” on the front page so to speak rather than buried somewhere in a sub link down a page...I think it made people feel special, even just for a few hours. There was also always a link at the bottom of any article for people to discuss on the forum as well. That takes zero effort and I think should be automatically done for anything published on the site.

Graham also used to give a small incentive for anyone writing…a spool of line, a baseball cap etc. I still have -and covert- one of the very early FM caps, the Emerald green (not olive green) one, I wonder how many people remember it ! I think even a small reward as a thank you can drum up interest and costs very little. Alternatively, what about something like a bit of tackle for “article of the month?” …it could be voted for on the forum…just another way to perhaps encouragh people to contribute. I recall an amazing post by Rob the Artist about catching from 100 different rivers …that was an article to be published if I ever saw one. You could offer the man an incentive to update and resubmit it…

Another possibility could be a thread of the month prize or extending some of the good ideas already out there for example Peter Crabtrees Big Perch challenge to cover more species and so on.

Tackle reviews are always popular and I agree with allot of what has already been said and I put allot of faith into the opinions of the people on the forum when I am looking for a new item of tackle to the extent that I literally don’t even look at reviews by sponsored anglers nowadays. Perhaps we could have more in-depth reviews by forum members submitted as articles…hands up who would like to see a an in-depth comparative review of some popular rods by Sam Vimes for example? I am sure the same could be repeated by forum members for center pins, fixed spool reels, tackle bits and bobs, scales, cameras, and so on…there are some really really good anglers on the site with no commercial ties and who could perhaps be encouraged to contribute unbiased reviews for a small incentive.

Maybe the same could be done for some venue reviews ….could be tricky as no ones going to give their best fishing spot with a GPS reference but perhaps some general information on some popular rivers for example by member who know them well.

Another thing Graham put allot of emphasis on was fish ins and I think that really had a huge amount of interest from people with talk and banter for weeks before and weeks after any get together on the forum. I think that helped the community spirit too.

As for the forum itself that will always be the heartbeat of the site for me. However, it is a little unfair to try to imagine it can recapture how it was in the early days. The reason is because back then fishing forums were a new thing and when a subject was raised, it was the first time and so all these “new” ideas were coming in from different people. The trouble today is that we are 20 years on & literally, everything has been discussed. Pick a subject and there is doubtless already dozens of threads about it on forums everywhere so it becomes a little stale. That said a few things however that might help..

First I think you need to DRASTICALLY reduce the number of sub forums…there are far too many and I imagine there are some interesting discussions being missed simply because it is in a forum hardly anyone clicks on.

Second, Graham was obviously well known and was very active on the forum. I think that made a big difference to people contributing. He also used to encourage his fishing mates to contribute from time to time and we had some amazing “names” visit the site ….Gibbinson, Ball, Knowles, Miles to name just a few off the top of my head…that can’t do any harm for the sites popularity.

Anyway, that’s a few thoughts and ideas. I’ll finish by saying that I think you have made the a very good first step to all this by signing up John Bailey. I really do think his profile is absolutely spot on for a site like Fishing magic and on paper it sounds an ideal match to me. He will need a thick skin from time to time to deal with the more direct interaction that a public forum brings but hopefully both he, the site and all its members will all benefit as a result.

Krang

Reaction score
Why not get John Baily to get Paul Whitehouse to give FM an exclusive interview on the topic of the show? It's such a popular show it would be bound to bring interest to FM. It would only take an hour and they're such great mates they talk every day. Hardly a big ask.

Badgerale

Reaction score
To echo what mikench said-

As someone getting back into fishing, and trying to upgrade my gear, I have found it really hard to find decent reviews of tackle.

At this point I'm not sure I trust tackle reviews at all, I just assume theyre paid for. One post by a complete unknown on a forum like this is more trustworthy than an expert review.

If I'm interested in a new laptop, for example, I can find a reputable site which gives me the positives and negatives and a rating out of ten. Why not for a new reel?

So what I'm saying is there is a gap in the market. Make it clear that the product is not being promoted. I honestly don't care if it's a 'name' or not giving the review. Most names mean nothing to me anyway, but even if I do recognise them it wouldn't help me trust the review as I suspect they want to keep on companies good sides.