Fishingmagic writers

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I can't see it on the home page, which is where most visitors who happen across FM will surely start from.

Just for the sake of an example that feel is a fair representation of reality:

Angler finds FM on Google whilst looking for fishing related websites.

Angler finds him/herself on the FM homepage.

Angler thinks, 'I'll look for information on roach fishing'.

Angler types 'roach fishing' into the box marked 'search'.

The results that come back on the first page are as follows:

Search results

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 total: 4206 | displaying: 1 - 10

Paradise Lost

Geoff Maynard remembers a day in Paradise with Barbeldave.... Full story

Dean Macey's Best of British video

Dean Macey is the star of a new series of beautifully shot fishing shows on Internet TV channel OnlineFishing.tv ... Full story

Sharp End

In this rigs feature, Dave Rothery highlights the problems of straight lines with leadcore and suggests a way to avoid them.... Full story

The ATr asks "Do You Want to Fish for England?"

Angling Trust is seeking nominations for the England team for Anglers with Disabilities and for the Veterans England team.... Full story

Fish Legal and Angling Trust appalled by water companies

Fish Legal and Angling Trust appalled by successful appeal by water companies to avoid proper regulation of sewage discharges ... Full story

Tribute to Barrie Rickards - RSPB & Cormorants

As a tribute to the late Professor Barrie Rickards we are publishing once again a selection of his very best articles. In this Barrie comments on the RSPB and Cormorants.... Full story

Bloodworm In For Evesham Finals

This year’s Evesham Festival on the Warwickshire Avon in August will see the use of bloodworm and joker trialled for all three final days and two of the qualifier weekends.... Full story

Fish&Fly to bring river webcams to UK anglers

Fish&Fly team up with Farson Digital to bring live river pictures to the computers and mobile phones of anglers everywhere. The following news release was recently issued to the press.... Full story

SKY Stars Northern Fly Girls

The Fishing For Everyone Ladies Fishing Club based in Northumberland held their first Trout fishing event of the year on Sunday 27th March and were filmed for Sky television.... Full story

Snowdrops and sausages

Gary Cullum stops and smells the flowers on the way...... Full story

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I'm sure I read somewhere, or was told during a course I did, that most visitors to a website (that is new to them) will only look at the bit on the home page that they can see without scrolling down.

If that doesn't interest them then most of them leave and don't come back.

I should imagine that the same sort of logic would apply to search results, i.e. if the first page of results looks like it has nothing to do with what they searched for then they'll just give up and leave.

Could this Google search option be placed in the top half of the Homepage somewhere to make sure relevent results are returned to these first time visitors?

Shine

Reaction score
Pink, blue or realtree..... as long as it shows everyone where it is.

neon_sign.jpg

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
To use the advanced search just go to the features tab, hit it, then you will see a search function on the right hand side including Advanced Search. Select that and you can then enter search words as suggested.

I'm over 35 but did do 30 odd years of IT!

Well I tried that Mark, and I now have a sore knuckle and a cracked monitor !

I got the same results for 'roach fishing' ... no help at all, but when I tried ' tench fishing' I also clicked the 'title' tab...and got one hit on an article by Graham Marsden. I guess the title tab weeds a lot out, but perhaps too much...there must be other articles about fishing for tench?

I'm only just learning what a lot of stuff is hidden away on this site. Wouldn't an alphabetical index be as good a way as any to find it all? Or am I just to old?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Wouldn't an alphabetical index be as good a way as any to find it all?
Again, wouldn't you need to know the title of what you're looking for first? Also, some articles with perhaps the BEST advice might be titled under something entirely different.

EG: for the best advice on catching gudgeon from a Yorkshire river try - Deanos, Gudgeon, Tunnocks Tea cakes, Sean, Fell, River - for a few clues. :D

Cakey

Reaction score
just for mr Woody ..................could we have a girl that has appeared on page three on the homepage of FM ?
better luv ?