Fishingmagic writers

Frothey

Reaction score
The BBC's very accurate - they just tell you what it is doing and be very vague about what's going to happen, that way they have all the bases covered....

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I tested the results from 'lure fishing'. Google turned up the goods, loads of articles about lure fishing; the other two SEs were pants in comparison, just listing the most recent uploads. Any of the search engines should pick up on the author names but only Google seemed to be any good at discovering relevant content - and that is the prime requirement surely.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

And for weather I use Metcheck :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Help!

Sorry to be a bit thick chaps but I'm still a little lost around this 'access to articles'and how to find these old(or new)offerings(stuff like Wintle et al).....so can some bright spark just explain(in very simple terms!)just how to go about it please!

I make no excuse for this request........I'm not shy about showing my ignorance!!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Scroll down this page and you will find a Search box powered by Google. That will do all you need it to do

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

It is also on the front page - 1/2 way down on the right, and there you can specify if you want info from articles or forums

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Tee Cee,

Until a week or two ago there was a fantastic, excellent, brilliant (are you reading this Jeff and Geoff?) Advanced Search as well as the Google driven search. This Advanced Search would find all of the articles by a particular author (in my case about 180) but somehow the Techie has been persuaded to remove the fantastic, brilliant, excellent Advanced Search so that you can no longer use it! Please can we have the old search back as well as the Google search?

The Google search will find some articles by a particular author (about 80 in my case) and its success rate is somewhat random. At present you can try the Google search which is on the Home page and try putting in an author's name but the results are patchy. If you try anything too generic like roach you may well get hundreds of articles.

preston96

Reaction score
No, I threw in the towel l-o-n-g ago.

Cant do right for doing wrong and whatever we do is wrong. Last time your weren't happy with 180 articles. Count me out of this one now. Just send your complaints to the CONTACT - General Enquiry. Let them sort it out.
:mad::wh

Stop being vindictyive Woody or i will have the heavies come round and lock you in a bar alone with Marsbar!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Stop being vindictyive Woody
Vindictive = malicious, spiteful, bitter, cruel, hurtful.....

Not being vindictive. I am just resigned to it. I never use the facility anyway so makes no odds to me at all. I have access to a perfectly good search facility on the editing suite, but that can't be made available unfortunately.

I/we did as asked and now that's not right. If we go back as Mark suggests, 20 others will complain and want this one back. One or t'other. Can't have toffee and ha'penny as well, as me mam used to say.

preston96

Reaction score
i, and i suspect others, are still totally lost on new FM...........now thats not meant as a dig at anyone so please don't take it as such.

The "flow" and ease of refrence has all gone, it was so easy to flit from one thing to the other in the early days.

We all whinged when changes were made and we were told we would get used to it and find it better.......and we usually did.

But not this time...........the "flow" has gone.

I know how much effort you and Geoff must be putting in so like i said it's not a personal attack more like me feeling like someone has stolen my favourite rod that aint made anymore,

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We are always open to suggestions as to how to make it better alhough we're never going to have the old site back again, and some would say thank heavens for that. Not everyone liked it and the other day I looked in on Thinkcamera, a sister site of Magicalia's, and it looked - - - - - - - - - - - - - Dreadful!

So squashed up, and the writing so small, that's why I had to turn up the print view in Firefox all the time. On this site I don't have to.

However, there are some things on this site that drive me up the wall, the editing suite for one. You can block some text, a passage title for example and click on Centre to, well, centre it. It only goes and grabs about three paragraphs before it and two after as well and centres them, but if you put them back it puts back the stuff you wanted centred anyway. AggggghhhhhhH!

And that's the tip of the iceberg, as they say. But we can't do anything about it. There's three bits of 3rd party software driving this site, one is for articles, one for the forums and one for the editing and all we can do is tinker with parameters. If the feature ain't in there or it's broken, that's it, we're stuck with it.

BUT (no - BIG BUT), we have got us a site, we are Fishingmagic, we have history (even if we can't always find it), and we are a community as well. Or at least I'd like to think we are. As JK put it on Saturday, it ain't what it was, but it's still here.

I know that our Tecky (CB, who's also a director) worked hard on that search yesterday, took him 2½ hours I believe. He thinks is the mutt's nuts, we go asking him to swap back and he's not going to like me and Geoff for a day or two. So let's see if it is any better first.. give it time.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'm not saying swap back but instead provide the other search as well because it allows author targeted searches.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Anyone would think you had a hard life Woody.......but look how lucky you are having 2lb+ roach coming out of Spade Oak and 3lb+crucian carp from the cut,or backwater at Medmenham according to Marlow AC newsletter...times have never been better!!

Forget all this FM stuff,relax and go after some decent fish for a change!!

ps........do you know anything about swims 10 to 15 at Spade Oak....walked around several times this last week or so looking for rising fish etc and these swims looked very good even if the pit itself looks a bit featureless and devoid of fish....

Never see anyone fishing this side of the pit to chat to so I thought I would ask a local expert!!