Forgotten Angling Books

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Catch a big fish - Carl Forbes, my dads got a copy and It's great, I've read it at least twice now.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Don't bother with the Walker blokes books -- They are all 'old hat' now --unless you want to be an old fashioned bugger like Ron

J

Jeff Spiller

Cheers Christian have you read any Chris yates yet ?
Ed I've not got a cain rod <u></u>yet, but I have looked for them.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"Forgotten" - in the sense I can't remember the title or the authors! I had a copy but lost it during a couple of house moves. Anyone help?

Think it was published in the early/mid 80's (possibly late 70's) by two Game (Fly) fishermen. Big glossy hardback that I think claimed to show for the first time "what the trout saw". Great photography and detail about fly fishing from the trout's perspective. Lots of underwater shots which "proved" what the artificial looked like from under the surface (lots of "mirrored" effects).

I've been keeping a look out for it for quite some time but without the title/author, it's a bit difficult.

M

mark norris (ACA)

Rod & line Arthur Ransome
Where the bright waters meet Harry Plunkett-green
Going fishing Negley FarsonAlthough not strictly fishing The stolen years by Hugh Falkus

T

The Monk

Ron is that the same John Hillaby that done "Journey Through Britain" ??

no I dont think it is Cakey, I have a few of the John Hillaby walking books, I dont thing he fished

C

Cakey

ok Monk ..........I have two "Journey Through Britain" and "John Hillaby's London" and they are superb books

B

Badger 184

Rod & Line by Arthur Ransome of swallows and amazons fame. Brilliant book couldnt put it down once started, keep rereading it.Channel 4 did a tv series on it late 70s or early 80s

Lark

Reaction score
I was re-reading 'The Complete Book of Float Fishing' by Allan Haines a couple weeks ago.
Allan adorns the front cover looking just like Syd Little in a splendid scarlet pullover whilst holding a float box made by Samsonite by the looks of it!
Inside, the very serious and regimented Ray Mumford is shown extolling the advantages of tench fishing with camouflaged floats - whilst wearing a formal white shirt and black tie of course.
Dave Thomas still looking like comedian Norman Collier, Bob Nudd looking young and thin and Keith Elliot looking like something out of Dexy's Midnight Runners.
Great stuff and still worth a read even 18 years after publication.

Chevin

Reaction score
Hook Line and Spinner by Clive Gammon is a very entertaining book. One I have read but, alas, do not own. The most read fishing book I have though is the 1926 edition of "Battles with giant fish" by F.A. Mitchell-Hedges. It is very much battered and beaten, but the stories remain the same. The fishing might not be purist stuff, but it is a great read!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Travels with a two piece ,not sure who wrote it as I borrowed it from the library years ago ,anyone know who wrote it as I really enjoyed ,it must have been good as I wasn't even into fly fishing.

E

Travels with a Two Piece was written by John Bailey

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Gravel Pit Fishing by Trevor Housby was my first book on specimen hunting which I was given for Christmas in 1974. At the time I was 10 and had been fishing for seven years without managing to catch anything at all on rod and line. Armed with Mr Housby's tips I caught plenty the following season.

A few of my old favourites are:

Stillwater Angling - **** Walker
Ivan Marks on Match Fishing
Modern Specimen Hunting - Jim Gibbinson
Carp Fever - Kevin Maddocks
Silver Season Golden Memories - Tony Miles

T

The Monk

I don`t think any angling book collection is complete without the three prized additions from the Colins New Naturalist stable, although rare now and out of print

Number 15, Macan T.T. & E.B. Worthington, (1951) Life in Lakes

Number 23, Harris J.R. (1952) An Angler`s Entomology

Number 75, Maitland P.S. & Campbell R.N. (1992)Freshwater Fishes

T

The Monk

I think on float books, Billy Lanes Encyclopedia has to be one of the landmarks

For historic angling methodology it has to be my 3 book set the Art of Angling, a real classic work with some excellent line drawings.

Another lesser known book is Gordon Wood`s (of Barbel Catchers fame, "Night Fishing"

and of course the Classics BB`s Confessions of a Carp Fisher and Wood Pool, I have both original copies and the newer White Lion (1997)versions of Confessions, I must say I prefer the newer version to the original

E

" Forgotten Angling Books "?????

I've forgotten lots ........

C

Cakey

Ive just counted 305 angling books,is that a lot ?
my wife thinks so..........