Forgotten Angling Books

T

The Monk

Is that all you have Cakey, you should see my house

I`m presently reading Pelhams Manual of Coarse Fishing by Peter Wheat (1969), Interestingly Peter he writes in one chapter As I see it it is plain foolishness to sit out, and overnight too, trying to catch carp in the depths of a big freeze up This big fish trend is causing anglers to lose all sense of propotion,

This was in 1969 of course I wonder what he thinks of the scene today?

C

Cakey

yep just a few.........when I gave up the drag racing and showing cars I got rid of 1000's and 1000's of books and mags and her indoors put her foot down with the fishing mags and books

T

The Monk

drag racing ????? No, you wouldnt get me putting womens clothes on and running about,

I dont mind taking them off though!

C

Cakey

got nicked for nude drag racing in Reading town centre many moons ago !

Fred Blake

Reaction score
The Pelham Manual of River Coarse Fishing - now that is a good, honest book. Just one of I don't know how many fishing books I now own. Never mind 300+ books. I need 300+ bookcases!

Nice to see how many people rate The Carp Strikes Back as a classic; I loved it when I first read it back in the 1980's - though some of the bait chapters went right over my head - but each time I read it, it makes more sense and, as a result, becomes even more enjoyable. It's a bit like the film Airplane; every time you read/see it, you spot something new you'd not noticed before.

'Casting at the Sun' is still my favourite fishing book, but there are a few others that run it close. Leaving aside the classics, I recommend Brian Clarke's 'In Pursuit of Stillwater Trout' - a book I first read when at school, having never fished for stillwater trout - yet it was one of those books you just can't put down. The chapter describing a day's fishing at Sutton Bingham is a masterpiece; Clarke conjures up images of the perfect day in a way few other writers can achieve.

Another one I really enjoyed - and re-read every spring - is 'Chalkstream Chronicle' by Neil Patterson. A superbly readable book about fly-fishing that I'm sure will appeal to any angler. Anyone else read it?

E

Evan

'Fishing for Salmon and Sea Trout' by J. P. R. Balfour-Kinnear.

A very different world back then. And certainly a very different and much hardier existence !

My favourite 'wince' is reading his advice about winter wading in Scotland. In tweeds in the 1920's, no waterproofs, just you, woolen clothing and some cleated heavily dubbin'ed wading boots.

Apparently the thing to do in such conditions is to watch out for when you start to lose all feeling in the legs and then check whether the skin has started to turn blue.

At which point the author advises getting out of the water and rubbing the cold limbs with snow to revive circulation.

Before then returning to the water !!!!!

Very definitely a different and much hardier breed back then.

Would love to read his other famous book, 'Torridge Fishery' but have never seen a copy in real life. Anyone ?

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Anything illustrated by David Carl Forbes -he died young, sadly - check him out; Mr. Swords, I recommended him a while back. His work seemed to be widely syndicated in the late 60's early 70's, very distinctive style, he also writes on river fishing, freelining etc. fine stuff!!

T

The Monk

I still have a letter I recieve from David Carl Forbes I think it was circa 1975? what year did he die and how old was David?

Chevin

Reaction score
If your letter is dated 1975 I would think that it wasn't long before he was killed. AlthoughI knew him well, I can't remember how old he was at the time of the accident. Did your letter have drawings in the margins? He was a fabulous artist and I have one of his originals hanging in my dining room

T

The Monk

No drawing Chevin, but it was written quite complexly and with some excellent English terminology, I`ll try to dig it out and reproduce it here. At the time I was advertising Dave Stewarts Carp book and I had spelt Daves name wrong, David Carl Forbes wrote to me and pulled me up about the spelling because I think he knew Dave Stewart quite well, I brought a copy of the book from David Carl Forbes and still have it now.

Chevin

Reaction score
Yes, DCF's command of the English language was good and at times I found that surprising given part of his background in life. Obviously everyone here will know of his angling, artistic and writing abilities but I wonder how many will be aware that he was a fair ground prize fighter for some time. He also spent some time in the Royal Navy where he became the Navy's Welter Weight Champion.

Dave and I were good mates and I was fortunate to spend quite a lot of time fishing and chatting with him. In fact not long before he died in the accident we had spent a weekend at **** Walker's hut when fishing the Upper Ouse. While any outing with Dave was memorable that one was especially so for a couple of reasons, one that it was the very last opportunity I had to spend any time with him, and the other was when I was taking the piss out of him about something. During our laugh he hit me - probably playfully as far as he was concerned but I learned in that split second what it is like to be on the receiving end of a punch thrown by a professional fighter. It is frightening - it really is.

I am going to send the address of this thread to Dave's widow Maureen. I don't know if she will care to respond to anything here, but I know that she will be pleased to see that Dave is still held in high regard.

T

The Monk

I didnt realise you knew Dave and I find it fasinating reading his history, yes he was certainly an exceptional anglers, could you ask Maureen to give me permission to reproduce Daves letter here, it is complementary, David was certainly held in high esteem and made a significant contribution to the sport.

T

The Monk

Hers a few of his earlier works

Successful Roach Fishing, David Carl Forbes
David & Charles (January 1973)

Rough River and Small Stream Fishing
David Carl Forbes, Cassell (January 1977)

The Sporting Gun, David Carl Forbes, Newnes (January 1969)

Successful Sea Angling, David Carl Forbes,David & Charles (January 1971)

Big-Game Fishing in British Waters, David Carl Forbes, David and Charles (January 1972)

Chevin

Reaction score
I wrote to Maureen before I saw your latest note but when she replies I will certainly ask about you posting David's note to you. I know that there will be no problem because she sees things like that as a tribute to him. But she will appreciate being asked.

T

The Monk

I`ve always been interested in autobiographel typeworks from anglers who may only write one off books, one of interest is John Etherington`s Big Chub and Roach,Thoughts and Encounters (1985), Waterlife Publishers, an excellent little book