Got It!!! The Nikon D300

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Oh Jeff, here's another good tip for you, don't forget to move further away with a telephoto lens.

And that fish-eye lens you've got, you can take other pictures with it you know, besides fish's eyes.</blockquote>

Good tips there Graham, thanks. For thirty years and more I've been thinking of buying a fish-eye lens for my fish pictures and wondered what I would gain from it. They're very expensive and always beyond my reach, but if you say I can take other pictures with it I might now get one. Which make and what subjects would you suggest guys?

I don't have a telephoto lens. I just have a 14-42 (28-84) zoom and a 40-150 (80-300) zoom, but I will get one as soon as I've saved enough. Thanks Graham.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>The Monk, wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>haha scene modes, mickey mouse stuff, we have have that stuff on the proper cameras Woody, just auto (P), shutter priority (S), apearture priority (A) and full manuel (M) for the real men./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

I'm not biting Monk. I know you're only taking the P out of me.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Don't you have a mode for photographing in fog on the D300 then, Monk?

The Monk

Reaction score
heck no Woody, i do love the fog though, you`ll get some decent shots just in auto and with snow just put it up a stop. The only proble with the D300 is that i now need bigger cards, it takes the same size cards as my D100, the D200 has the smaller card of course, the D300 though burns a lot more memory up because of the greater MPs of course, so my old 512card only do 68 jpegs as apposed to 151 on the D100 at 6.2 mgps, so I`ll have to get say some 4 gig cards, i dont really want to go any larger than that, whats the best price for lexar 4 gigs??, I only use lexar pro of course

The Monk

Reaction score
I really am desperate for a power pack, it looks like its been cut off at the bottom without one/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif, especially with the big screen

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You don't need a power pack mate, trust me. All you need when on assignment is another battery which will give you up to 1500 shots at one go.

Just imagine, the camera will be a lot lighter and more manoeuverable.

As regards memory cards, I use 8 gb Sandisk Extreme which I paid £54 for.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The figures I've given are for very fine conditions shooting in RAW. In jpeg you can get up to 3000 shots from one battery charge.

These figures are on page 414 of the User's Manual.

Forget the extra power pack, you don't need it.

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Memory King

Komplett

Picstop

Check them all for postage, some charge as much as £8 whereas others only charge £3 or so.

Do a Google for lexar professional SD 4gb</blockquote>
bludi ell Wioody, I`m not going to cut my wrists on them am I and 133 speed too, my things have moved on, the last one I bought was a lexar super 80X 512 for £80

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

You don't need a power pack mate, trust me. All you need when on assignment is another battery which will give you up to 1500 shots at one go.

Just imagine, the camera will be a lot lighter and more manoeuverable.

As regards memory cards, I use 8 gb Sandisk Extreme which I paid £54 for.</blockquote>

Oh no I cant do without a battery pack mate, the camera looks like its incomplete with something missing.

I wouldnt mind an 8 gig extreme do lexar do one? though, I may get one mate

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sandisk Extreme IV cards. They are fully recommended by Nikon and are probably the most advanced memory cards available.

The camera has nothing missing. I say it again, you don't need a battery pack.

The Monk

Reaction score
Tell you what mate, you come to my next wedding with your very basic D300 and I`ll turn up with by D300 and extended battery pack giving me an extra 3 inch, and we`ll see who traps off first/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif
NI1218_nikon_25359.jpg

W

Wolfman Woody

Look here, Monk. Seems to me you are getting ideas well above your station.

That battery pack is exclusive only to be used by people who are millionaires or absolutely loaded with fishing gear. As it happens, Marsdens blessed with both so he can have one. I'm afraid mere mortals liek yoruself will have to do with an extra battery.

The Extreme III and Lexar 133 are a sound investment what with the amount of bits you have to copy now, especially if you're rapid shooting otherwise you may find the camera slows to take breath after a while. But 8gb? What do you want that much for?

Crumbs, a 4gb will take the equivalent of about 20 rolls of film surely? In JPEG, mine takes 1627 on a 4gb. How many pictures of ruffe slappers do you want to look at?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"Who traps off first"!!

Please elaborate, or translate. I'm not up on some of the Manc lingo.

The Monk

Reaction score
4 meg would do really, but a last word on battery packs, I have them on my D100 and d200, so for the D300 its a must, I do however miss the sound of a motorwinder

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What you have to understand mate is that the CMOS sensor in the D300 uses less power than the CCD sensor in previous Nikon cameras such as the D200 and D80. Therefore you have increased picture taking capability.

As a comparison using the standard ENEL3e battery in the D300 compared to similar batteries in other cameras.

Camera No of Shots

Nikon D300 1000

Canon 40D 800

Nikon D80 600

Olympus E3610

Pentax 480

Sony 650

As regards the noise of the motor drive, I would have thought you would have wanted to eliminate that entirely.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
nikond300batpack.jpg

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Just imagine, the camera will be a lot lighter and more manoeuverable.</blockquote>

I don't think you fully understand what the powerpack offers Ron. It isn't just a means of adding more power, it also gives you an alternative and more natural grip and anextra shutter button for when taking portrait format shots, an additional scroll wheel, and an additionalmenu toggle. All of which make the camera more manouverable, not less.

It will do all that without any additional power, for fitting an extra battery is optional and without the battery there is hardly any extra weight.

Of course if you do fit an extra battery you get the added power, and if you fit the EN-EL4 battery it boosts the camera's frame rate to 8 frames per second rather than the 6 frames you get with the standard battery.

In addition you also get an extra battery holder with it that holds 8 AA batteries, giving you another option and the security of knowing that, should you be faced with a camera power emergency, you can buy AA batteries from almost anywhere.

So, the 'powerpack', or the MB-D10, to give it its proper name, is a lot more than a mere power boost and a proper photographer like The Monk wouldn't be seen dead without one.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Are you now doing a reps job for Nikon Graham?

What The Monk needs is a powerpack without all the internal gubbins just so he can look the part. They are now available for £17.00 each. Screw one on and improve your street cred.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
haha, well saidGraham yes the grip is a big thing with me, it just doesnt feel right with the extension and all the bridesmaids say wow, thats a big un!!, they wont even look at your twice Ron/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif