Got It!!! The Nikon D300

Maggie

Reaction score
Can someone explain to a simple girl(in plain english) why one of these large digitals are muchbetter than a compact? my Canon compact has 7 megapixels a good zoom and has most of the extras like a manual overrideand multi targeting face recognition thingies. although it doesn't have a remote thingy, which I can see has it's uses, especially when you are fishing on your own; however I expect you can buy a compact that has this as well?.

Or is it a man thing where bigger is always better? Or should I get myother halfone of these big cameras next christmas? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

mmm Im not answering on the grounds of diminished watsits......................

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Good question Maggie.

Here is my tuppniworth.

1: Irrespective of the amount of pixels, a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) has a much bigger sensor than a compact and is able to give better resolution.

2: Becauseof the way they are designed, compact cameras have a large time lag between prssing the shutter botton and the shutter going off. With a DSLR it is virtually instantaneous.

3: Compacts are limited by the fact that they only have 1 lens. DSLRs have interchangable lens facilities.

4: With odd exceptions, most compacts are not designed for professional use and as a result are not very robust.

5: It does seem apparent that compacts are capable of giving the same sort of picture quality as a DSLR, especially with website pictures and small prints up to say 6 x 4.

However enlarge your picture to A3 and you will see the difference between a top quality DSLR and any compact.

6: Due to the wide range of features on DSLR cameras, the photographer has a much wider potential for creativity.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I sure do..................
mamiya_rb67.jpg

Maggie

Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I had thought that it was just the number of pixels that defined the clarity/resolution together with the quality of the lens. which althougha compactmay be good enough for snapswould not be quite as good as a DSLR. Plus on my compact I have to wait for the auto-focus time lag when pressing the shutter button. So I can now see why someonewould need a largerDSLR camera especially for those special shots. I may buy one for my hubby now I know (If he plays his cards right).

Thanks again for your help Ron /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Maggie

Reaction score
Wow thats a biggie, what film does it take?

My hubble told me about a camera that was used for map-makingwhich was a room with a hugelens in the wall, he saw it when he went for an interview at a map making firm in Borehamwood a long timeago; taking pictures of aerial photographs that were put onto a wall in the next room.

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi Maggie,

yep thats about the size of it what Ron says in his post, its not just about mega pixels although it does help, but a good lens is also essential, the main thing really when you think about it, but basically I`ve always had a big un, especially for the weddings, some guys do weddings with small ones, but I`ve found a big un always goes down better with the bride and bridesmaids and even the brides mother, because if you have a big un they get the impression that you know how to use it, which in my case, obviously I do!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>CAKEY ........ wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

funny you should say that Graham...just finished building this
log.jpg

if you look carefully there is an light sensor in the top of the log which triggers the camera through the D200 remote you can see

so that new gadget will make it wireless making it a bit safer

not tried it on the birds yet but tested it on Buddy
buddy_log.jpg

</blockquote>
thats dam clever Cakey, shame you didnt live up here you could wire up all the points on me train set/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

yeah but then you would sue me when there was a crash one sunny afternoon..........

The Monk

Reaction score
I`m sure I`d trust you more that railtrack/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif
icon_pray.gif