How did you get on?

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Afternoon on the Derwent today. Started with a small chub then half a dozen trout. Water had subsided but was still a little high and a gooey chocolate brown. I seem to be having problems with trout completely swallowing my hooks - I've tried different types, sizes and different baits but it seems to happen regularly. I've tried various disgorgers and forceps etc. but I don't want to ram them deep inside the fishes throat. Anyone got any tips that might help me avoid this? Cheers[/QUOTE

Have you thought about trying a circle hook?

No I hadn't thought of that never come across them - I'll get hold of some and try, cheers.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Life is slowly coming good. My tackle shed / man cave mini fridge has been a Godsend, cold beer, milk for tea and bait.

So I woke this morning with a bit of a spring in the step and arrived at the Yeo full of the joys. The weather was such that I could see it was going to break today, that rain would arrive. Could I time it to stay dry or did I really mind getting wet? I decided on the latter, at least until the Bayou broke or similar.

Similar to last week except today I opted for the 14ft Normark Titan 2000 and DAM coffee grinder closed face carrying 2.6lb main. A wire stemmed Drake stick float carrying 5 no. 6 shot to a Drennan maggot 20 to 1.1lb trace.

With the bait apron filled and a succession of most pleasant dog walkers and joggers, the fishing was slow and the sun definitely AWOL today but it simply didn't matter - not to me anyway.

The odd small roach picked up the bait before a mini dace joined in, more roach and then a skimmer around 6oz. Obviously, not large but I can't remember the last one I caught on a river. It'd make SKippy jealous, almost certainly.

Small roach again before a chub around the pound mark made itself known. Again not huge but it stood out amongst the minis I had hooked so far. Again, although the fight was not exactly toe to toe it was fun and it whetted my apetite for bigger and better things and I actually thanked that fish as it went back.

I stepped up to two red maggots to see if it might make a difference. No - was the simple answer. The bites were sporadic and often unexpected, I'd get one as soon as I dropped in, then the next run would give a bite at 15 meters. There was no hard and fast pattern but it was, simply, enjoyable.

The time flew and I decided that my next trip here might well involve a feeder rod and some bigger baits to see if I can't winkle out some bigger specimens. I think I might try a grain of corn, I have a feeling that might up the ante.

So I packed up and was soon back at home with a big mug of tea and an even bigger smile. I know Winter has its place but, to be honest, I've had enough of driving to and from work in the dark and am looking forward to lighter evenings. That said, my warm and comforting cave has seen me tying pole rigs and oiling reels like a looney so it's not all bad, is it?

All the very best to everybody for the last couple of weeks of the river season. Hope it brings all you'd like. :)

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Thanks so much, went through a blip with it but as the Reverend Spooner would have put it - I really have the tit between my beef with it again :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The odd small roach picked up the bait before a mini dace joined in, more roach and then a skimmer around 6oz. Obviously, not large but I can't remember the last one I caught on a river. It'd make SKippy jealous, almost certainly.

No it wouldn't. The only circumstances in which I'd be even remotely happy to see a 6oz skimmer would be if I'd run out of zander bait.

I've had a splendid day so far. Watched Jonny Bagpipes stuff the Leek Munchers now it's the Paddies against Jonny Frog !

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Well, that was easily my best bite of the day so far. Glad you're well, mon ami and, as for the Six Nations, I thought the Jocks might have a chance but that was a bit of a beating....well done them. :)

theartist

Reaction score
Ok the hayfever beat me in the end but despite this I did enjoy my forage the other side of London fishing the tiny River Cray for the first time. Due to cutting my time short I probably spent more time driving than fishing, such is the m25 but it was pretty good for a Friday and I got back in one piece which as we all know is the main thing.

As for the fishing well the Cray at Hall place wasn't the worst place to spend the day although with it so sunny it was dog walker central and I mean they were everywhere. The river itself was a funny little thing, extremely shallow where I started and I actually caught all my fish in a foot of water in small holes under trees - my kind of fishing. You could see where some work had been put in to increase flow and oxygen which was good as I walked down the river with my gear, it was that shallow. Downstream it deepened up quite a bit but was very slow and I couldn't buy a bite, local knowledge would have helped but my return of 21 dace and 1 chub wasn't bad for a few hours.

The flow picked up a little during the day but that was when the sluice gates opened up - my nose :rolleyes:

B

binka

I really can’t help but think I’ve snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory given the conditions both today and during the last few days build up.

My dismal fate was carved out earlier in the week when I decided to fish as a guest on an ex-club water which my mate has re-joined but which I held off until I could get a session on there firmly under my belt.

Suffice to say I won’t be re-joining which is a shame as it’s the lake from where I posted the big roach from.

What has happened in the five years I’ve been away I really don’t know but I suspect that nitrates have entered the water from surrounding agricultural land via the feeder stream and the whole place was rammed with Canadian pond weed!

I tried a longish chuck with a feeder of around seventy yards and gradually reduced the process in roughly five yard increments until I was a rod length out and I couldn’t find a clear spot for love nor money and after dragging up strands of the damned stuff several feet long I resorted to plumbing around under the rod tip and having to vertically lower a bait in as any arced fall resulted in a snare up part way down.

Despite feeding and fishing it as best I could I never had a bite on either worm over chop or maggot over groundbait.

My mate fared no better on a two rod method feeder set up but I declared myself the winner as I had only blanked with one rod :)

In the absence of anything remotely more interesting to post here’s a picture of a very miniature, part finished perch bobber…

Now you may think that’s a daft idea but when I’ve finished the other and present her indoors with her new birthday earrings I’m sure she will really appreciate all the effort :wh

:w

mikench

Reaction score
I have fixed my fishing chair, emptied all my garden pots and ordered 16 50L bags of potting compost for delivery tomorrow! What more do you want - fish;)

I thought you did not have an "er indoors" but I am glad you do Steve:)

Tomorrow is looking more promising weather wise so I will visit my favourite water for roach! I did something else today which I have never done before; I riddled my maggots and put what remained of three varieties into one container ready for tomorrow . I also have prepared some curried chick peas in case the odd carp puts in an appearance!:rolleyes:

Have a lovely evening everybody!

B

binka

Not strictly speaking Mike, I keep her in the shed.

If it snows I sometimes let her in the garage but it worries me and I can't rest in case she re-arranges anything ;) :D

theartist

Reaction score
I really can’t help but think I’ve snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory given the conditions both today and during the last few days build up.

My dismal fate was carved out earlier in the week when I decided to fish as a guest on an ex-club water which my mate has re-joined but which I held off until I could get a session on there firmly under my belt.

Suffice to say I won’t be re-joining which is a shame as it’s the lake from where I posted the big roach from.

What has happened in the five years I’ve been away I really don’t know but I suspect that nitrates have entered the water from surrounding agricultural land via the feeder stream and the whole place was rammed with Canadian pond weed!

I tried a longish chuck with a feeder of around seventy yards and gradually reduced the process in roughly five yard increments until I was a rod length out and I couldn’t find a clear spot for love nor money and after dragging up strands of the damned stuff several feet long I resorted to plumbing around under the rod tip and having to vertically lower a bait in as any arced fall resulted in a snare up part way down.

Despite feeding and fishing it as best I could I never had a bite on either worm over chop or maggot over groundbait.

My mate fared no better on a two rod method feeder set up but I declared myself the winner as I had only blanked with one rod :)

In the absence of anything remotely more interesting to post here’s a picture of a very miniature, part finished perch bobber…

Now you may think that’s a daft idea but when I’ve finished the other and present her indoors with her new birthday earrings I’m sure she will really appreciate all the effort :wh

That's a nice looking float Steve and that strange shaped fish next to it - that must be bang on half a pound :D

mikench

Reaction score
I bet you are fastidious in looking after her Steve! She cannot have any chores to do in your abode:rolleyes:

The fairer sex make us nicer, more understanding and more fulfilled! They are also very useful for .......... making pancakes on shrove Tuesday :)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have fixed my fishing chair, emptied all my garden pots and ordered 16 50L bags of potting compost for delivery tomorrow! What more do you want - fish;)

Tomorrow is looking more promising weather wise so I will visit my favourite water for roach! I did something else today which I have never done before; I riddled my maggots and put what remained of three varieties into one container ready for tomorrow . I also have prepared some curried chick peas in case the odd carp puts in an appearance!:rolleyes:

Have a lovely evening everybody!

800l of compost, are you filling in a pit?:eek:

thecrow

Reaction score

That really is a shame with it being so near home Steve, at least it didn't cost you the price of a membership :) nice float though.

mark_t

Reaction score
I had a great day at the local club lake, I had the place to myself apart from the ducks and a couple of robins for company. Started off catching small bream on the float rod on red maggot then a nice rudd puts in an appearance, then a surprise couple of tench not of any size but still put's a nice bend in the rod.
I decided to put on a maggot feeder on my other rod and left it on the bite alarm, after 10 minutes it sprang in to life, after a short fight I had a nice perch which weighed in at 1 3/4lb, my biggest perch so far.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a great day at the local club lake, I had the place to myself apart from the ducks and a couple of robins for company. Started off catching small bream on the float rod on red maggot then a nice rudd puts in an appearance, then a surprise couple of tench not of any size but still put's a nice bend in the rod.
I decided to put on a maggot feeder on my other rod and left it on the bite alarm, after 10 minutes it sprang in to life, after a short fight I had a nice perch which weighed in at 1 3/4lb, my biggest perch so far.

Congratulations, a beautiful stripey.