How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
How very true. Mine are still here but not really here if you see what I mean.

I know mate, trust me I do, all the criticism I have of the old fella is tongue in cheek and trust me I do say it to his face and visa versa. You don't go fishing with someone for that long without driving each other up the wall - in the right way of course ;)

Make the most of them Rob ! Just phoned Dad and asked him and Mum over for Easter Sunday lunch. Not sure if he is really up to driving but it will be quiet and motorway nearly all the way. He perked up and the invite gives him something to look forward to and makes him feel useful! ;)

thecrow

Reaction score
After much deliberating on whether to go fishing or wait for the grandkids I went fishing :D Back to the water I fished a couple of days ago that is reputed to have a good head of Tench in it, returned to the same swim as it was out of the wind which was surprisingly chilly, started the same 6lb reel line 3.3 supplex hooklenth to a fine wire 14s and corn as bait.

First fish was a hybred of around a pound followed by 4 or five small Roach and then nothing I don't think the 2 Grebes working in my swim helped and I struggled to get the fish feeding again so went down to 1.7 supplex and a 16 hook that was soon discarded after a couple of missed bites and replaced by a 14 again had a few more Roach before packing up, only fished a few hours but enjoyable all the same.

Spoke to 2 anglers that were walking round the water spinning for Perch, they told me that the Tench stocks had taken a big hit as it seems even they are not of the menu when it comes to our EE friends also told me that twice they had found deadlines in the water which they had removed but it doesn't sound good on the Tench front so I shall be looking for another water with them, I know of one on the estate near me but doubt I am up to fishing it or escaping the keeper now, growing old is such a bummer :D

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another trip to the reservoir this morning hoping for a tench - cool and overcast,fish topping -
looking good.
Out with the plastic corn & small popup boilie on the method feeders ,had continual line bites,hit a stronger lift and had a bream of 5lb 10oz followed by eight more to two pounds ,all fighting hard then drizzly rain set in - walked back to the car to get the brolly.
Set up the brolly and the rain stopped and the sun came out - off fizzed the plastic corn - a tench ! male tench of 3lb 8oz,at last.
Looked up ,saw two crows chasing a much bigger bird - the osprey has returned.Soon it had at least ten crows mobbing it - diving twice but not catching.
Had a few small roach on the float using corn and when the bites dried up it was time to go.

flightliner

Reaction score
Another day after roach, a bit later starting as breaking up concrete late yesterday was excuse enough for an hours lay in.
A friend had taken a nice area that we had agreed to share a few days earlier but tho we were sat side by side our baits were some fifty/sixty yards apart.
It was slow, neither of us catching until I had a positive lift of the bobbin that gave me a nice male tench of 3-10 just before noon.
My friend kept plenty of coffee coming tho which was gratefully received and helped keep the freshening westerly that was in our faces from chilling us to the bone.
Around one pm my friend had a lovely conditioned bream that broke his duck -- 5-10 on the scales.
Another bite-- a dropback-- gave me a nice perch that was maybe about 1.25 lbs but it was only a guesstimate .
An almost instant bite on the recast and I was into what felt like a good fish but with the brolly as a windshield I was only able to see the rodbutts and the "fish" turned out to be a coot that had dived into my baited area and luckily only had a single wrap of line around its leg.
Bringing it back to the margins it was suddenly attacked by another mad, bad coot that harrassed it all the way back to the bank where my friend was waiting to hand it out prior to releasing it .
As soon as it was in his hands both coots "had a pop" before the free bird scooted off but the captive bird had mini talons not claws and clutching my friend feet first had him yelping as it did multiple scratch marks along his wrists and hands .
He darent let go until I unwound the line around its leg but it was hard as I couldnt get round how funny it seemed , still laughing now tbh!!!.But coot released it scootled of with nothing but its dignity a little bit ruffled.
Another perch to me, same as last then my friend had to get off with me following an hour later but with one rod away in the quiver I was reaching for the other when the bobbin flew up and tightened against the rod giving me/us the one and only roach of the day , a nice one too that went 1-3.!.
That could be it for me over the ten days or so--- east mids airport tomoz-- big family get together !!!!!.

Last edited:
B

binka

I think the less I say about today, the better!

Suffice to say it is back to back blanks for me after ten hours on the end of the wind in full winter gear, I fed and fished it on the button for the total sum of three bite offs from pike.

Grrr...

The big result of the day was packing up, late afternoon, before the rain swept in.

And they call it 'Good Friday' :confused:

:w

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Another day after roach, a bit later starting as breaking up concrete late yesterday was excuse enough for an hours lye in.
A friend had taken a nice area that we had agreed to share a few days earlier but tho we were sat side by side our baits were some fifty/sixty yards apart.
It was slow, neither of us catching until I had a positive lift of the bobbin that gave me a nice male tench of 3-10 just before noon.
My friend kept plenty of coffee coming tho which was gratefully received and helped keep the freshening westerly that was in our faces from chilling us to the bone.
Around one pm my friend had a lovely conditioned bream that broke his duck -- 5-10 on the scales.
Another bite-- a dropback-- gave me a nice perch that was maybe about 1.25 lbs but it was only a guesstimate .
An almost instant bite on the recast and I was into what felt like a good fish but with the brolly as a windshield I was only able to see the rodbutts and the "fish" turned out to be a coot that had dived into my baited area and luckily only had a single wrap of line around its leg.
Bringing it back to the margins it was suddenly attacked by another mad, bad coot that harrassed it all the way back to the bank where my friend was waiting to hand it out prior to releasing it .
As soon as it was in his hands both coots "had a pop" before the free bird scooted off but the captive bird had mini talons not claws and clutching my friend feet first had him yelping as it did multiple scratch marks along his wrists and hands .
He darent let go until I unwound the line around its leg but it was hard as I couldnt get round how funny it seemed , still laughing now tbh!!!.But coot released it scootled of with nothing but its dignity a little bit ruffled.
Another perch to me, same as last then my friend had to get off with me following an hour later but with one rod away in the quiver I was reaching for the other when the bobbin flew up and tightened against the rod giving me/us the one and only roach of the day , a nice one too that went 1-3.!.
That could be it for me over the ten days or so--- east mids airport tomoz-- big family get together !!!!!.

Hummmm Coots yes obnoxious little ouiks had more than one come out the water at me even just walking down the tow path never managed to get one tangled had a few Canada Geese dont they squarwk when you haulem out the water ..

PG ...

flightliner

Reaction score
Hummmm Coots yes obnoxious little ouiks had more than one come out the water at me even just walking down the tow path never managed to get one tangled had a few Canada Geese dont they squarwk when you haulem out the water ..

PG ...
MD, I was'nt worried at all when my friend suggested he hand the thing to free it, after all a year ago last october I was packing my gear away with my back to the water when I heard him say to give him a hand, turning round he was stood there with an adult swan tucked underneath his arm .
:)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
MD, I was'nt worried at all when my friend suggested he hand the thing to free it, after all a year ago last october I was packing my gear away with my back to the water when I heard him say to give him a hand, turning round he was stood there with an adult swan tucked underneath his arm .
:)

Hummm yes right mind you i think swans are a little more stoic than geese we dont have swans the pool is too small they cant get in and out no take off and landing space would prefer Swans to these Canada C**P pumps ..

PG ...

flightliner

Reaction score
Hummm yes right mind you i think swans are a little more stoic than geese we dont have swans the pool is too small they cant get in and out no take off and landing space would prefer Swans to these Canada C**P pumps ..

PG ...
Agree entirely!!!.
A water I fish sometimes has dozens of them (ccp) and the banks in places are wall to wall c - - p!.
Impossible to avoid it, that and poo left by" responsible" dog owners! :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the less I say about today, the better!

Suffice to say it is back to back blanks for me after ten hours on the end of the wind in full winter gear, I fed and fished it on the button for the total sum of three bite offs from pike.

Grrr...

The big result of the day was packing up, late afternoon, before the rain swept in.

And they call it 'Good Friday' :confused:

:w

It'll be down to the ups and downs in the temp's Steve, that's why i've not bothered to have a go. I'll wait until we get a rise in temp's or at least a settled spell. I hate blanking and even more so in cold, windy and wet conditions :eek:mg:.

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
You may recall that I planned a day out fishing with SWIMBO and the kids.

Today was the day.

I decided on a new venue that I've been told has a decent head of Tench - only about 10 mins drive from home. The missus brought the kids in her car (just in case) and I got the two young-uns set up with wagglers and red maggots fishing about 20ft out in around 7ft of water.

Action was thick and fast with baby Tincas,

2017-04-14_12_02_49-Quick_Preset_950x653.jpg

View image in gallery

much to the delight of 8 yr old daughter. She soon got the hang of striking into the fish and keeping a tight line until swinging them to hand (normally my hand - she's still not too keen on 'slimey fings')

It was without doubt the most energetic day I've had on the bank - constantly dashing between the pair of them and dealing with the inevitable tangles and a few deep hooked fish. Between them they managed jus shy of 50 baby Tench and one sorry looking skimmer.

Eventually they'ed had enough though. The missus to be fair was taking it all in, offering encouragement etc and even had a go at baiting up the hooks with maggots but eventually declared she felt 'sorry for them'. Ho hum....

So she took the kids home at about 4pm and left me for the last few hours on my own - blisssss....

Left to my own devices I quickly rigged up my quiver tip rod and plopped a hair rigged mini Pineapple boilie in over a bed of corn and casters that I'd been lobbing in regularly for the last few hours.

After a few casts the tip whanged round and after a short but spirited tussle on 3lb line this little blighter graced the bank at 3lb 12oz. Not the biggest, but it's my first this year and 4oz over my best so far, so a new PB.

On packing up I found to my horror that the keep net (which I emptied earlier so the kids could see all their fish) which was drying out on the grass had a couple of tiny fish in it - they must've been there for nearly two hours.

I was sure they'd be history by now but on putting them back in the water discovered to my delight that after a bit of rolling and wallowing they eventually went off as though nothing had happened - hopefully they'll be none the worse for wear.

So not a bad day really. The kids enjoyed it and vowed to join me again to try and get some bigger specimens. The missus was pretty ambivalent to be honest. I don't think she'll be taking it up as a hobby anytime soon.

And I discovered that the lake really has got some Tench in it. Best of all it's hardly ever fished.

Woo Hoo!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
f4luckies....Very nice pic of the tench. However, I have to say it is missing the requisite PP007 'Sneaky lifter' which all the better tench photos seem have these days. All the better if said float is of the pink tip variety, which may have been of more interest to your wife, if only to ask "what shade of pink is that"

Nice day out, though and great for the kids to be out in proper fresh air!!

Gawd, off topic again, although I did use the words 'float & tench'......................

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
........ the requisite PP007 'Sneaky lifter' ...........which may have been of more interest to your wife..........

Thanks TeeCee.

I must say it's been some years since the wife and I enjoyed a 'sneaky lifter' together, and with the kids present, well, it was not likely to happen.

(I soooo want Mr Crabtrees Off Topic award. Is it too obvious?)

By the way, a heads up for Binka and Barbelboi - if the small Tench challenge is really a thing I reckon I'm going to smash it. The little'un in the photo was one of the biggest babies we caught. The smallest was probably no more than 6 or 8 cm long. I'll be sure to get some piccys on my return to the lake

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
GUC near Hemel today, chilly downstream breeze and myself slightly underdressed and cold from the off. Plenty of bites though on trotted maggot on this canalised section of the river Gade.

upload image online free

13' ultralight with a 3bb stickfloat trotted 3/4 way across I took roach, dace, a decent perch and some defiant ruff.

free uploader

adult image host

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

On packing up I found to my horror that the keep net (which I emptied earlier so the kids could see all their fish) which was drying out on the grass had a couple of tiny fish in it - they must've been there for nearly two hours

I don't do off topic awards but I do give out "Crabtree bad angling awards" and there's a nice shiny one for you in the post.....:doh:

mikench

Reaction score
Following on from the post about fly reels and pins I duly christened mine and my trotting rod. To say it was cold and windy is an understatement. I had put on my thermals and waterproofs just in case and am I glad I did!

The fish were a disappointment! I caught 4 roach all around the 6oz Mark with the pin and I missed loads of bites. I kept the ratchet on and practiced some casting despite the gale force wind. I found the 14 ft rod very easy to handle but striking for small fish was a real learning curve with the pin. I found it uncomfortable compared to a FS reel and forgot to either hold the handles when striking or pressing a finger on the rim. As a result I lost quite a few better fish. I used a pole float which worked but in the wind it was almost impossible to bring the hook to hand to rebait! Is there a technique I am lacking in? No tangles and the sublime line really helped( cheers Tigger:wh)

After 1.00 pm I switched to the feeder rod and Abu501. I do like the latter and it was perfect in the windy conditions. I caught about 6 skimmers and a bream of around 2lb. The ABU is a brilliant tool and helps to make reeling in and allowing line when bringing the net closer, a seamless exercise. It is also so very easy to cast with.

I really hate wind and lost a full pack of hooks to nylon when the wind got hold of the pack and took it out of reach of my landing net. Today was another interesting chapter in my learning curve. Roll on june;)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well I'm still in search of my secret piece of heaven in one of the multitude of Herefordshire lakes.

Out for a drive in farmland yesterday passed a sign saying
Coarse Fishing. Pulled down the lane and knocked on the door. Can I have a look?

Walked down to the 4 lakes, obviously left to their own devices, but no sign they had been fished for years.

The top one interested me, although full of moving pond weed. Obviously the original farm pond. Trees in the water and a small duck island in the centre.

Today back with the float rod, some Super G, maggs and corn. Tried a couple of swims for depth till found about
4 feet. Where the float would settle....pond weed over most of the area.

Anyway, out with bait on and a 4" rudd. Followed by 30 more, best going 10oz most about 4oz. Beautiful fish but.....

After an hour, change to corn
And at last a different fish. A real pond carp, black and scaley.
30 more ruddy rudd. Then a nice suprise a crucian about a pound. 30 more rudd, some the size of minnows.
Then another carp about 4lb... challenging with the trees and weed.

Finally finished with a couple more carp and 3 more welcome crucians all around a lb. And Rudd. Many.

So nice to get the Cru"s but no way to really target them without going Ruddy Mad.

The search goes on....

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Agree entirely!!!.
A water I fish sometimes has dozens of them (ccp) and the banks in places are wall to wall c - - p!.
Impossible to avoid it, that and poo left by" responsible" dog owners! :eek:mg:

Humm yes that is one thing we do not have to avoid Dog wallop dogs not allowed thru the gates but yes the stuff the other leave is disgusting stinks to high hell and contains gawd knows how many nasties .. :mad:

PG ...

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I had a bloody stinker today:( and it was first time I took my daughter and mrs so sods law.

Every bite I missed, Two times reeling in fish fell off.

The only fish who decided to join me on land and if it wasn't for him I would have blanked!

1zftm4i.jpg