How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes Mike, it is.

image.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
I assume it is safe and secure! Is it gripped in the cap ? On pegs like that I use a bank stand and a cut down rod rest ! The stand is screwed into the wooden surround!

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The cap is drilled and the bank stick is araldited in., can be removed and used as a normal bank stick. The wooden surrounds at Stonar seem almost fossilized and the hardcore virtually impenetrable, Blue Peter style thinking to the rescue!

steve2

Reaction score
Day out Tench fishing today and finally caught some. First Tench of the day was a fish of over 4lbs. I was playing this fish in when it went solid I thought it was in the weed but the weed started to swim slowly away from the bank. After a few minutes it surface about 20yards out and the Tench had been taken by the biggest pike I have seen on this water. I finally some how managed to land both fish and was just thinking about what a picture this would make, a big 20lb plus Pike with a 4lb Tench in it’s mouth when the pike did a tumble and ended up back in the water. The Tench by now was looking a bit chewed but swam off strongly when released hopefully not back into the mouth of the waiting pike. While I was playing this Tench and Pike the pike was still trying to swallow the Tench.
Things went a bit quite after that but I still ended the day with a number Tench to 5lb 12ozs.
I fish this water for pike right through the pike season and never had one this big. But at least we now know that big pike are still in here.

flightliner

Reaction score
A call from a friend suggesting we go fly fishing at ladybower in the Peak District was readily accepted as I just couldn't get excited at any other option right now that meant sitting in the sun and heat.
So off we set to arrive around 5-30pm in time for an evening ticket .
It was supposed to be fishing well but guys returning to the boat pontoon said otherwise.
We were told that when all the boats were moored we could fish the pontoon and the disabled pontoon together which was taken up by us both.
"Up in the water, a Fritz on a fast return" was the suggestion at the office but sadly not so.
We struggled for a while but had the delight of seeing two Hercules transport planes they had flown very low down Derwent water then swung a left onto the "Bower" and eventually over the dam wall towards Branford! Big big echoes of the guys in lancs training for the famous raid on the Ruhr reservoirs in '43.
It was worth the ticket just to see them!
Eventually the breeze died down and insect life did the same and for an hour until dark trout began their evening ritual of mopping them up .
My friend managed four rainbows to my one bluey along with several pulls that failed to connect but all very pleasant, absorbing stuff that we persevered at until 10-15 pm.
All told a really nice change other than me forgetting about a number 5 line I had promised to purchase for a new fly rod a couple of years ago .IMG_3929.jpg

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Have had several visit to a small club water nearby, usually Perch and Roach, the fish have been fin perfect. Yesterday session was a bit hit and miss with a dozen or so caught, finished the day with a last cast. Had had this beauty grace the net around 12 pounds, put up a great scrap, on a size 18 and 2 pound bottom. Been using a vintage Mitchell Match, which coped with this very well.

I2733.jpg2737.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stranger thing, you're in the upside down world Flight, but standing on my head I can see that's a rather nice photo and nice to have a fly fishing report on HDYGO

flightliner

Reaction score
Stranger thing, you're in the upside down world Flight, but standing on my head I can see that's a rather nice photo and nice to have a fly fishing report on HDYGO
Lol, I just don't know how it happens s63, It happens every time I upload one on here .
I was told to try turning my i fone round and pressing the shutter with my other hand . They all seem ok in my pik library but go belly up at download time.
Hope it resolves itself before June 16th otherwise any fish will look as if they're dead!

mikench

Reaction score
How do you do that Mark? Some of my pics are fine on my ipad but not when posted and are duplicated for some odd reason!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just had a 90 minutes session on my local lake for 2 rainbow trout; 3¼ and 2½ pounds, so the smaller one for my dinner and the other one for my neighbour.

Both from the smaller lake of the two on a dry mayfly pattern, floating line and a #4 weight rig . . . . . a lot of fun in the warm sunshine and only 3 minutes drive from home.

I walked a short distance along the river too and t is looking really lovely.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Mark, thanks for the pik re- alignment, appreciated!
Graham, it looks like I shall have to go back and try postimage.
I thought when the techies updated things on the forum all would be ok but it seems several posters have their own individual niggles.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
6old codgers turned up at the GUC near Tring today. A north wind and bright sunshine didn't deter the roach and skimmers, everyone caught a few.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My peg was opposite a marina and I started on the waggler across to the boats, a skimmer and some gudgeon was all I could find, the wind caused me problems despite sinking my line so I changed to a lighter waggler and fished just over the near shelf. I had instant success spraying squat with white pinkie on my 22 hook. Roach, skimmers and some small perch.

image.jpg

At the scales I weighed in 5lb:8oz, just an ounce short of the winner's 5:9 which included a fine roach? of 1:3 caught on a tare...

image.jpg

My net....

image.jpg

Last edited:

Sharon8959

Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent write up.I am really pleased you are enjoying your fishing here at Bleak Hills. Thanks for the pics too.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today was an afternoon to early evening session at our club pond.
well we went and good old Les Dawson appeared at the end with the cheque book and pen.
Talking to an old boy who turned up later he told us he has fished the pond for years and whilst there are some good fish in it it is a very unpredictable pond.
Apparently on Sunday folks were bagging up. 24 hours later switched off. his experience is that slight changes in weather have a magnified effect in terms of fish willing to be caught.

Never mind - onwards next week.

interestingly I tried worm and for the second time it generated not a single bite.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
An unexpected session saw me return to the same swim as that fished earlier in the week. I didn't have a great selection of baits but I did have a couple of 'sheets' of thick crust (cut from the sides of a Tin loaf) and a bag of Chum Mixer both of which thaw out pretty quickly.
When I arrived at the swim at 5am it was already windy so I used it to take lumps of floating crust closed to overhanging trees but for some time the fish only seemed interested in the Mixer which floated across he water in front of the crust. Eventually a greedy little carp of some 4lbs couldn't resist the bread....
I had two other small fish in this way before the wind, for some inexplicable reason, changed from a fixed direction to being all over the place , so I changed to anchored crust which was far more relaxing and allowed me to drink some much need tea (not a little chilly this morning!!).

Highlights of the morning were two carp of 9lb 2oz and 9lb 6ozs both in good nick and not bad for the water, one of which was a lovely bright gold and the other almost black along the flanks.

I finished with nine carp and was home before noon...........

ps Just been outside and it has started to rain here in South Bucks. Not heavy by any means but any amount will be good!