How did you get on?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Still Bass fish Mark but not as much to be honest, more so interested in big Roach, Chub and Perch on the rivers, just now waiting for the rivers to open back up :yo:

Ah right, just wondered, not heard from you for a while, all getting a bit dodgy with the bass now, roach, chub and perch on a river, nothing wrong with that, at least you will be out of that Thames wind maybe. I might do a bit of float fishing round the jetties sometime this summer; playing it as I go along at the moment; whim fishing.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With a three hour window between domestics I sneaked off to the lake, whip in hand.

I wasn’t optimistic with the amount of rain we’ve had in the past 48 hours so it was a result to add three tench to the seasons tally with a roach and a singular bream too.

The carp were promenading sorting their partners prior to some nookie, maybe this weekend if the promised heatwave arrives.

D0A739E0-28A4-4484-ABBA-94D0D8BC2672.jpg

Last edited:

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Ah right, just wondered, not heard from you for a while, all getting a bit dodgy with the bass now, roach, chub and perch on a river, nothing wrong with that, at least you will be out of that Thames wind maybe. I might do a bit of float fishing round the jetties sometime this summer; playing it as I go along at the moment; whim fishing.

Yea mate yer certainly not wrong about the bass, to be fair is one of the reasons why I've now cut back on a lot of me bass fishing and I'm not a one for taking anything anyway, I fish just for the sport but is a bit of a shame that a few others don't always necessarily look at it like that,

There was also a time over the years when I used to fish an awful lot on the tidal Thames above London trotting for the roach and dace but as yer say the wind mate can at times be atrocious especially when fishing at low water right out in the middle virtually, used to stand and wade right out with waders on the vast gravel runs that were at Putney, Barnes and Strand on the green ( Chiswick) and used to be like a huge wind tunnel at times.

Nowadays I'm more so interested in me light roaving approach on small rivers and chalk streams in search of big roach throughout the season, I will also make a bit of time for chub and perch aswell probably later in the season,

At present I'm currently gonna be fishing mainly on the Lea and Kentish Stour :rockon:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Perhaps he hasn't learned those thing yet, or he was just fishing a big unknown water and wasn't sure how he wanted to fish it until he was on the water so covered himself with all eventualities. Maybe as he wasn't catching he thought why not try something different as he had all the gear with him hoping to hit the right place and method at some point.

Mark. he fishes it regularly, he used to fish matches with a club I am in, His seatbox had two side trays plus the new Preston Innovations fold over lid side tray similar to the Nufish one, he had to many baits on them to be sure of what would work, his pole was capable of more or less reaching where his float and feeder were landing, He wasn't giving his bait time to work, I took maggots corn and pellets, pellet didn't work,so I stayed with maggot and corn priming one swim while I fished the other, I found the maggot swim was more productive so stayed with it, fed half a dozen maggots after every fish to keep them coming, If I had had some whip rigs with me, I would have stopped using the pole and fished a 4 metre whip to hand, as it was I only took a few pole rigs to cover a
what I needed, I forgot about the whip in my holdall, Its not a big water as you can see from the photos, like I said he fishes it regularly and we talked about the other commercials we have fished in the area, I think if he had stuck with one or two baits and a couple of swims he would have caught more, I am in a match on Saturday, on a water I know, I am taking my pole, and two baits, bread, and hard pellets, pellet shallow down the middle and 3/4 way across, bread against the island. Less is more bait wise on this water.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Mark. he fishes it regularly, he used to fish matches with a club I am in, His seatbox had two side trays plus the new Preston Innovations fold over lid side tray similar to the Nufish one, he had to many baits on them to be sure of what would work, his pole was capable of more or less reaching where his float and feeder were landing, He wasn't giving his bait time to work, I took maggots corn and pellets, pellet didn't work,so I stayed with maggot and corn priming one swim while I fished the other, I found the maggot swim was more productive so stayed with it, fed half a dozen maggots after every fish to keep them coming, If I had had some whip rigs with me, I would have stopped using the pole and fished a 4 metre whip to hand, as it was I only took a few pole rigs to cover a
what I needed, I forgot about the whip in my holdall, Its not a big water as you can see from the photos, like I said he fishes it regularly and we talked about the other commercials we have fished in the area, I think if he had stuck with one or two baits and a couple of swims he would have caught more, I am in a match on Saturday, on a water I know, I am taking my pole, and two baits, bread, and hard pellets, pellet shallow down the middle and 3/4 way across, bread against the island. Less is more bait wise on this water.

Spot on, I really couldn't agree more on that note, well said :high5:

thecrow

Reaction score
A late morning start today on one of my club waters, hemp and tares underneath one of my attempts at making sarkanda reed waggler, 18s to 1.7 supplex . Not up to perch bob standards :) but they will do for me and kept me from under the gaffers feet for a while.

Took a little while for them to respond to the bait and for me to find the depth they wanted it at, about midwater in 8 rings of my mach 3 depth, as usual when I use tares I missed more bites than I hooked but ended up with 40 roach none of which required the net, tried fishing deeper at intervals to see if any bigger samples were hanging lower in the water but it wasn't to be, next time though :)

One thing that did worry me was that out of the fish I caught maybe half of them had what looked like red ulcerated sores on them, I told the bailiff when he came round but he just said it was from spawning which it definitely was not (what is it about some bailiffs they see an old guy and think they know nowt) the sores were not in the same place on all the fish it was on flanks, gill covers and head, its worrying that the bailiff wasn't interested.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Having called the plumber at 2o'clock this afternoon, I resigned myself to an afternoon waiting for him. 20 minutes later he was here.
Leak fixed, wallet fleeced, what now?

image.jpg

What else....

Neil 1970 turned up a few hours later with his lures...

image.jpg

I fished maggot or double pinkie on a very light pole rig tied to my line.. I caught steadily letting the float drift in the tow, bait tripping along the deck...I caught 6 different species but none bigger than 6oz. By 8:45, in the midst of the witching hour Neil caught what was the biggest fish of the sesh...In the gloom I could just about see my float as I gently eased my double caster through the swim...
Thoughts of a big roach snaffling those 2 shiny casters were keeping me squinting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Didn't happen...

seth49

Reaction score
Fish are either spawning or sun bathing at the moment, and with the east winds and bright sunlight, I’ve decided to leave them in peace for a while.

thecrow

Reaction score
Nice float Graham! I bought some of the bay a bit like that but not insert wagglers . They have a black tip which is surprisingly visible!!!

Thanks Mike, they are very simple to make all the bits came from a place that Steve put me on to (only 5 miles from where my daughter lives so I must combine a visit to both :) ) I cant whip anything now eyes and hand prevent it so the black bits you see top and bottom are shrink tube that has been stretched by putting it over the nose of some small forceps and carefully opening them, it takes a bit of patience to do but it still retains its 2 to 1 shrinking capabilities which after varnishing forms a waterproof seal, I have them from 3" to 8" with different inserts, not pretty but functional.

nottskev

Reaction score
All this fine weather made me think I should be on the bank early, rather than at lunchtime. The forecast said today would be a bit cooler with showers. That sounded ideal, so I was set up, soaked and ready to fish by 7.30 am. They turned out to be long showers. The first one lasted from 7.30 til 11.30. Here's a gloomy view of the Tench Lake from under an umbrella.

rd.jpg

I know some people like fishing in rain, snug under their umbrellas. For me, fishing under an umbrella is only just better than not fishing. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, as if I stay dry I can't see out, if I can see then I probably can't cast or strike, and if it's not threatening to take off, the umbrella is channeling rain into my holdall, bait boxes, boots etc.
But the rain was persistent, and there was nothing else for it.

rd2.jpg

To get the wind and rain overhead, I had to slide down a high bank and perch on narrow ledge with no room to ship back, but with 8' of water only 5m out, at least I didn't have to poke more than 1 section behind the brolly. Cubed meat over squeezed damp pellets suited the little tench

rd3.jpg

The fish were keen enough, which made up for the rotten weather. The only tactical refinement needed was a change of top-kit. I had a few hook-pulls, so after an hour I took drown the brolly, cleared enough space to stand up - the space was so small that all your stuff was interlocked like a jigsaw - scrambled up the bank and went to the car for a top with a doubled no. 5 elastic, which worked better.

At 11.30, the deluge paused, so I took the opportunity to wrap up. I managed to avoid any tench over 2lb, but I can't claim any great credit as the owner told me as I was leaving that all the bigger ones were showing on the other side of the lake.

rd5.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Kev! What a great net full and all tench! You continue to provide me with achievements to aspire to!:)

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been a bit busy of late for angling, but I have managed to get a day in this week, and last week.

Last week I went over to Brookwood Ponds, and fished number 2. I was float fishing using my usual match rod, with 6lb mainline, number 16 hook to 4lb nylon. Two maggots on the hook, with a few loose over the top every few minutes, and a little groundbait each hour. It was hot and sunny, but I was managing to pull in a succession of small perch and roach, so I was quite happy. Then an old boy started fishing opposite me, and after paying the bailiff £4 for my day ticket, they both advised me to change bait to sweetcorn if I had any. I did, and followed their advice. Suddenly there were more bites, and nicer fish, but no small perch....

Brookwood bream, about a pound:
42343831521_e8e8ce499a_z.jpg

Brookwood tench, perfect and around 12 ounces:
41621315914_53b742b268_z.jpg

Brookwood perch, small but perfect:
28470712278_23b48226d3_z.jpg

Brookwood roach, fat and maybe ready to spawn (??):
42343829191_42fc075cf5_z.jpg

Yesterday I was away to a commercial fishery near me: Apps Court lakes. Long story short - same gear, same general result, followed by bigger fish after another change to sweetcorn. Is it sweetcorn season or something ? Also I don't know if it's just me, but the fish seemed much more aggressive in their takes than I remember. I got snapped off several times, presumably by bigger carp, and so I ended up on size 10 hook to 7lb nylon which seemed to help. I managed to get a couple of nice carp in, preceded by the biggest tench I have caught so far - around a pound and a half

3lb Common carp
27474507827_65804ea985_z.jpg

5lb Common carp
28470746058_65743807dd_z.jpg

1.5lb tench
41442034875_0d03ced587_z.jpg

Things seemed to tail off as the afternoon got cooler and wetter, but corn was still attracting bites until I ran out of time. Great fun!

Cheers, Bob

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I didn't know there were any in Milton. I had a chat with one of the workers and he said they put a few in to keep the small stuff down. If you had taken a walk round you would have seen me ditch the shorts for something warmer, lol. I couldn't get tares anywhere. I will give them a go eventually, once I find some. I fancy there are some exceptional roach to be had but the Tench absolutely trash your swim and have a liking for bread.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I knew they were in there.....they get in from the Old Lake via the overspill.In fact my very first zander came from Milton on a single red maggot and was about as long as my finger. I had 3-4 that size one day when trying to catch one of the big perch that were in there then. I heard of a 9 pounder coming out in a match but as no-one to my knowledge fishes for zander on Milton who knows what might be in there ? Its like the carp syndicate lake there....has a few very big zander in it but as no-one fishes for them who knows how big they might get ? In fact I dont think you're allowed to fish for zander on Temple but I know someone who had a ticket and was fond of zander did put a rod out one night and had a fish close to 16 pound. Couldnt say much about it obviously but I saw the photos and I have no doubt it was every ounce of what he said.

I might have to give Milton a go for the zeds just out of curiosity one day,

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I knew they were in there.....they get in from the Old Lake via the overspill.In fact my very first zander came from Milton on a single red maggot and was about as long as my finger. I had 3-4 that size one day when trying to catch one of the big perch that were in there then. I heard of a 9 pounder coming out in a match but as no-one to my knowledge fishes for zander on Milton who knows what might be in there ? Its like the carp syndicate lake there....has a few very big zander in it but as no-one fishes for them who knows how big they might get ? In fact I dont think you're allowed to fish for zander on Temple but I know someone who had a ticket and was fond of zander did put a rod out one night and had a fish close to 16 pound. Couldnt say much about it obviously but I saw the photos and I have no doubt it was every ounce of what he said.

I might have to give Milton a go for the zeds just out of curiosity one day,
Next time I'm there I may put a sleeper rod out. Lip hooked luncheon meat?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fishing by 7am this morning at my Saturday venue, it was so peaceful with no walkers or moored boats.

image.jpg

Started on punch on the waggler picking up small roach, bite a chuck to start with. A change to double pinkie got me some better ones once I'd sorted out which colour they wanted...Today it was white.
Funny how picky they can be, simply no bites on red or flouro..?

image.jpg

I imagined going into a tackle shop and buying a box of pinkies where they only had one colour which is often the case...

Wrong colour = no bites..

image.jpg

By 11am the sun burst through the cloud and killed it stone dead.

image.jpg

At least I had a few...