How did you get on?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Quirk of the day was the new brolly involuntarily closing on me several times (it’s gonna have to go back) including one particular occasion where I was playing a fish to the net which left me sat on the inside of a closed brolly with my arms and rod on the outside playing the fish :eek:mg:

Ha ha ha....I'd have paid real cash money to have seen that ! :D:D:D

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished club match on the Colne at Uxbridge with a much depleted turnout of 11, down presumably to a combination of the weather forecast and the fact that an ounce and a half was enough to frame here last time.
Still minus two when we got to the draw and with the river running very hard and carrying that nasty greyish roadwater colour we were all expecting a chub or bust grueller. And we weren't wrong.
Drew peg 52 on the backstream, usually at this time of year a good roach and dace swim (along with most of the other 50s) but they moved off around Christmastime for some reason and very hard since. Started on a tiny cage feeder and liquidised with punch on the hook in case they'd reappeared but after half an hour of that and half a dozen runs through with punch on the stick it was obvious they hadn't. Switched to maggot on the stick and upped the hooklength to 0.13 with a B911FI size 18 as generally need to give the chub here a bit of beef to keep them out of the sides. Kept moving the shot around and making little variations to the depth as well as mixing the loosefeed amounts up a bit to try and snare a chub and after four hours got one out of the blue a long long way down the swim. Got it out without too much difficulty but no sign of another until the traditional "Chub o'clock" with five minutes to go. Didnt see any bite, started the retrieve and the rod hooped over. Had it on for about twenty seconds before the hook pulled- felt foul hooked but cant be sure.
The one I had went 3-15 and was enough for second; three chub for 8-2 won it, from a swim I can't recall ever producing more than one before, another single chub for 3-12 third and everyone else was equal fourth.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by binka
Good luck to everyone on the Thames fish-in tomorrow, hope it’s a great day for you all with plenty to catch and talk about afterwards.

First session on a new river usually results in a blank for me, hopefully I'll break the mould this time

Here's where you heard it first folks:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Took a friend pike fishing yesterday, he had never had a pike over twenty pounds. At the end of the dayhe was a very happy man.

neil1970

Reaction score
Yesterday was my birthday and I'd promised to take my eldest out for a lure session. The weather wasn't good, so we went out for an hour and a half today.

Lots of casting practice (on the lake) for my daughter and a 4lb chub from the weir for me.

Apart from one tiny roach on trotted flake this is the first fish for me out of the Colne this year, so I'm quite pleased!

fruitowl

Reaction score
out with itsfishingnotcatching
attempt 1 river Teme Stanford bridge river 2ft up half the banks look like they have collapsed only couple pegs to end of field but to dangerous to get to.

attempt 2 river Severn Holte Fleet river looked a good 3ft up to what I have seen before walked to point at bottom end of island cast a 4oz grippa at 1 o clock direction and watched as current take it straight down stream ian tried a float in slack water but once it went 2 rod lengths could not see float tip.

attempt 3 Stafford Worcester canal at Kinver I ledgered, Ian float fished had a small gudgeon within 10 mins Ian had a slightly bigger gudgeon after another 3 mins 2 hours later and not another bite.
At least we never blanked. phew.:eek:mg:

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club fixture on the GUC today. Set in a deep cutting the wind didn't bother us at all. The water was nicely coloured and it looked good....
But it fished rock hard with a few early baths and blanks. I had a roach first put in on punch which fell off on the way in.... Then a tiny gudgeon on squatt then nothing. Fed the bottom of the far shelf with chopp and fished a dendra laid on.
One bite all day.. A perch about a pound.
2 more gudgeon on the squatt line and that was it, 6 long hours...weighed in 1lb:1:8.
Winner had 10lb+ all big perch.
19 fished....

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Forecast not encouraging, strong easterly (ish) wind, cold and not pleasant but needed to go.

Deadbaits out and sheltering from the wind for 7 hours, not a touch. Three others on the lake, two blanked, the other had a 16-08 Mirror.

No birds flying except a few crows, even the geese were holed up on the bank, just one of those dead days.

However, enjoyed it!

Stu

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Had three chub to 3lb from the Wreake on Friday on legered flake/crust - no bites on worms,prawns or cheese paste & yesterday caught one pike @ 19lb 3oz - 3rd time I have had this fish this year and another one pinched a joey mackerel off the hooks.

terry m

Reaction score
A twenty, a sixteen and a few mid/upper singles. Considering how tough the piking has been for me this season I am pretty happy with that.

The Runner

Reaction score
Fished our annual Charity Teams of 4 match today on the Slough Arm at Langley, in aid, as always, of the Shooting Star Childrens Hospice.
6 teams this year, and match was pegged three sections before the kissing gate and one after. Some of the lads had had their usual midweek knock up on Wednesday which had been a bit patchy (although won with 12 lb just before the gate.) and most wanted to draw in the low numbers at the Langley Station end.
So I drew peg 24, end peg 6 past the gate...
Started on punch down the track but after 20 minutes nobody in my section had caught on it so went over my groundbait and pinkie line off to one side at 10m. Nothing.
Hour gone, section all still blanking so put my old Winter League head on and decided to just fish chopped worm defensively unless something happened. Fed five lines (two across to the boat, two on the inside, and one down the track) with one chopped up dendra each at a time and rotated between them. After three hours had a perch tight to the boat in front and with an hour to go had another tight to the boat to my left. One little dig that came to nothing next to my keepnet with ten minutes to go and that was it. two perch, two ounces. Roger three pegs to my left had three for 0-2-8 and a section win and we were the only catchers in the last nine pegs (including the peg that won midweek)
The station end was a different world; 11-4 of roach on punch won it, then 10-11, 10-8, 10-7, 10-3 and 9-15. The lowest weight in the first 10 pegs was 7-3...

Really started enjoying it after a couple of hours in a strange way. Always liked a challenge

Most importantly though we raised £3,161 for Shooting Stars. Thanks and well done to everyone.

jimlad

Reaction score
I've kept it no secret that I've been targeting a 6lb chub for a while now, and I've put a fair amount of effort in, sometimes in awful conditions. Today was one of those days, I had to go throw snow, rain, wind, and some bright moonlight in between.

I lost the first fish of the night, and that looked all a pb. After another hour or so, the rod hoofed over, and I struck into a chub, but one a little different to the rest. This just sat there, in the current, commanding respect. Got him moving after a short while, and in the net, I knew it was big, and was chuffed when the needle went to 6lb 9oz!

7D2BE130-70EA-41DB-92DC-0ACC19A92173_zpsxjgpw721.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

binka

Nice one jimlad and congratulations on a cracking chub, I like the two fingered right hand salute to the conditions :)

Keith M

Reaction score
Congratulations on your PB jimlad, that's a clonker of a Chevin and at night in these temperatures. Respect !!

Keith

Last edited:

pf0x

Reaction score
Interesting day. Used a centre pin for the 1st time ever. On a small river which was a bit too brown and fast for my liking........ Bought the pin last year but got flooded out and always found an excuse not to try it until now. Actually, it was the sad news of poor Keith Speer (centre pin Wizard) that gave me the kick up the backside I needed.

Very odd to use (to put it mildly). The wind didn't help. Every other 'cast' the line got sent 'round the back' of the reel etc. Would a line guard prevent this?

I quite enjoyed it. But would have been nice to get a touch from something..... anything....... Think I would have blanked with my normal set up. Just 'one of those days........

Lovely chub Jimlad. Never had a '6' myself.......