How did you get on?

Keith M

Reaction score
Interesting day. Used a centre pin for the 1st time ever. On a small river which was a bit too brown and fast for my liking........ Bought the pin last year but got flooded out and always found an excuse not to try it until now. Actually, it was the sad news of poor Keith Speer (centre pin Wizard) that gave me the kick up the backside I needed.

Very odd to use (to put it mildly). The wind didn't help. Every other 'cast' the line got sent 'round the back' of the reel etc. Would a line guard prevent this?

I quite enjoyed it. But would have been nice to get a touch from something..... anything....... Think I would have blanked with my normal set up. Just 'one of those days........

Lovely chub Jimlad. Never had a '6' myself.......

A line guard would have the effect of minimising line going round the back of your spool in gusts of wind, as would having the line coming off the top of your spool, and also being able to hold the reel vertically but the first two of these can also have their disadvantages if you needed to use a Wallis cast.

Keith

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Took a friend pike fishing yesterday, he had never had a pike over twenty pounds. At the end of the dayhe was a very happy man.
I took myself off pike fishing today, a small but spirited jack of some 6lbs or so kicked off the proceedings.
Then, around four hours later after sitting in the teeth of a very biting west by south west wind and needing my unhooking matt thrown over my legs on account of forgetting my bib n brace (doh!) The dropoff went and on striking landed a truly nice pike- big too, so I went home as happy as my friend some four days earlier.;):w

aebitim

Reaction score
At last a chance for a few hours fishing, chose an unfished tench water rather than the Wye as it is 5 mins away rather than half an hour and time is going to be an issue.
The cry tench in this weather you pratt is to be expected but 2 or 3 acres of tip off water and the chance of a couple of hours undisturbed exploration had me twitching like a blind lesbian in a fish market.

Sttarted with a 3 AAA waggler on a walk and chuck for the first hour just to find the depth ang get a feel and chucked a few maggots and casters into likely spots, second time around spent 10 mins in each swim with a baited hook and was rewarded with a splendid [yes splended] old school bronze bream and a superp *******ing from the missus for being two hours late home, note to self, remember to turn phone off before fishing there again, dont think the serendipitous flat battery trick will work twice

neil1970

Reaction score
At 3pm, a few times a week for the last three weeks I've been throwing a handfull of 'multigrub' pellets into an unfished, snaggy swim, in the hope of turning my luck around on the Colne this year, before the seasons end.

I imagined that I would be creating either a fish, or a crayfish hotspot.

I turned up, with high hopes, at 3pm today and out went the rig, followed by a handful of pellets. The tip was active almost immediately, with a few definite chub pulls alongside an equal amount of vibration from the crayfish.

3.30pm on the dot and I struck into a welcome chub of a couple of pounds which was returned to the river about 100 yards away from the swim.
The pellet had been mostly eaten away by crays.

Fished on for another half an hour with no action & then moved on to another couple of swims before the walk home.:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Son of Meldrew and I spent 5 hours on the GUC here in metroland.
Nicely coloured and calm it looked sock on. I tried bomb and single maggot, caster, bread punch etc on rod while SOM fished pole and light canal rigs with pinkie, punch etc.
I thought I would get battered unless I swapped to pole but needn't have worried, neither of us got a bite all day....

tincatim

Reaction score
After only fishing rivers since last November I fancied some pole fishing on a Stillwater today. I went to a local lake, ferryboat farm for those of you that know it. The wind was blowing a right gale but it wasn't too cold although it was cold enough to have the place to myself. My only problem was which peg to choose, anyone else hate the dilemma when there's too much choice? I opted for on with the wind off my back purely for comfort and fed two lines, one at 11m and one at 5m.

2eogmf8.jpg

After a slow start, the bites started to come with regularity. The roach seemed to love the caster and worm, although nothing massive, the smallest was around 6oz and they were all in beautiful condition. In between the roach, some decent skimmers showed up along with the odd perch and a nice looking carp of around 3lb. No photos of fish I'm afraid, my hands were too cold to get my phone out. In not the best of conditions I managed about 40 fish in total and thoroughly enjoyed myself in the process. I've set myself a target to catch 20 different species this year, after catching only chub and one ide so far it feels good to start making some headway.

theartist

Reaction score
Had a day on a local river and despite it being packed everyone was on good form and whilst some of the folk after barbel were firing blanks there seemed to be a positive mood around, no doubt the spring sun and warmish weather were a contributing factor to the content faces. A couple of chaps were decidedly under the weather however, coughing and spluttering but out nonetheless in an effort to get one last trip in or reach a milestone before the 15th - That's the spirit!

I fished an unfancied spot and found a pocket of roach which were feeding. I was fishing upstream in the only bit of dark water, trotting towards me which is always a bit challenging but worked ok as I had over 40 and aside from one small rudd nothing else. Most the roach were small but there was a few 10oz jobs that kept me busy, how they look so much bigger in the clear water I thought each time I picked one out of the landing net.

Later on I inherited a second hand or more probably a third hand swim and whilst it was hard to start with it did feel nice to be trotting downstream again. More small roach followed and I was starting to think I was wearing 'Come to me' by Roacho Chanel when lo and behold a dace graced the scene which was fitting but the only one of the day. With the light fading I had a few chub and one which, at around 4lb wasn't the biggest chub in the world but it was a contender for the best looking, scale perfect, perfect build and a right scrapper. A nice end of season fish and one for the album and perhaps a potential drawing for me to occupy myself with come the close season.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another crack at the Bury Hill zander yesterday pm. Place was deserted apart from me and a carper who [for once] was not sporting a head mounted searchlight and seemed to have alarms with off buttons & volume controls. I nearly hugged him !

I had 5 runs....4 zander with the biggest 8.00 and 8.03 and a hugely disappointing pike of around 12lb which I thought was a big zed until it rolled into the net. On my last trip I had a fish in the net and another one on and the same happened again ! I've got pikey on the mat when away goes the other rod.:eek:

So...there I am one-handed trying to slide esox out of the net onto the mat while playing a fish. I'm thinking this is not going to end well but somehow I manage to free the net and land the zander. I then returned to deal with pikey.....and here is Skippy's blindingly obvious safety tip of the week.DONT STICK YOUR FINGERS IN A PIKE'S MOUTH !:eek:mg:

Of course cockybollox did and was rewarded with a seriously slashed thumb & blood everywhere. Fortunately I carry a First Aid kit but surgical spirit in a cut does sting a bit !

The fun wasn't over though...I then get another run and I'm fishing at a fair range so I've had to go a long way back with the rod to set the hook. I've taken a step back to steady myself,been hamstrung by my chair and gone down backwards like Jean Claude Sackofspuds. I end up flat on my back like a stranded beetle,my caps tipped over my eyes so I'm blind as well & I've put me left hand in a pile of goose ****. This isn't going to end well either I think but somehow the fish stays on & proved to be the best of the session.I took the hint and packed up after that !

I spoke to Phil this morning and he was really fed up that this sort of thing only happens when he's not there !

greenie62

Reaction score
...I spoke to Phil this morning and he was really fed up that this sort of thing only happens when he's not there !

That'll teach you to go fishing without a Carer! :eek::rolleyes::D

Take care S-Kippy!
Tight Lines :thumbs:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Spent a few hours trotting the Colne today, it was a bright and breezy but warm at least. Fished the deepest part of the river @c6' deep and had 2 bites on maggot. One small roach and a plump little dace.....

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Been out twice in the last couple of weeks, first time down to the river with a float rod and managed 4 chub, 3 perch and a roach. Pleasant although a bit chilly.
Second time for a couple of hours with a lure rod and managed one small pike. Wind was howling across the fields making it feel twice as cold as it was.

theartist

Reaction score
Second that regarding the wind. Took my dad out for the first time this year and with it being a Saturday and him being out of shape somewhere quite and local was needed so I figured the Gade at Croxley Moor would do.

Being a moor the wind was biting and with the bright sun overhead we were three hours into our fishing without a bite! The conditions however were nothing to do with the poor fishing as the river shouldn't have been as coloured as it was with lots of particles coming down, probably from some work on the canal upstream. "Sedimentary my dear Watson" dad joked when I mentioned the colour so with siege mentality and the blitz spirit kicking in I responded with "Who do you think you are? Poirot?" as we entered the fourth hour fishless.

After walking into the wind all the way to the railway bridge trying different swims to no avail I come back up and dad is all grins as he had a chub, which I tried to convince him was a figment of his imagination as I knew the banter would become unbearable with just me blanking now. I was happy he caught though and it was a just the fillip I needed to retry one of the banker swims upstream again.

Dad came back up walking past saying "Don't let me down son" when I got to thinking that in over 35 years fishing this little river I had never blanked even on the frozen rod ring days, so when the float finally shot under for the one and only time I was not the quickest to react. Fortunately I was still on and dad was quickly alerted by my huge cheer as he looked downstream at me jumping up and down in the water like an idiot holding a dace!

I had more fun catching that one fish than I would have if I had an average day catching a dozen plus it was great to take dad out on what was a memorable day.

"Hold on - Poirot didn't say that" Dad said later, the penny dropping as I drove him home summing up the day perfectly for me.

jimlad

Reaction score
I fancied giving the tees a try this morning, I've been ignoring it of late so thought I'd get there before the season finishes next week. Tactics were a couple of pints of maggots (white), 3lb Drennan supplex to a size 20 Kamasan animal, hoping for a few chub, I was using the drennan floatmaster and an Abu 506 due to the wind.

After feeding for half an hour, my first cast resulted in a bit which I briefly hit, before it bouncing off. Next cast I latched onto this nice chub, which was great fun to play on the light gear. After a bit of patience, it came into the net, a nice looking fish.

IMG_1168_zpsggrnsn3w.jpg

Next cast I missed a bit, I was getting a good rhythm going and thinking I may build a decent bag up, when this happened....

http://youtu.be/crFPB7xXocc

After that, I caught nothing else!

Warmer temps today, and it seems that spring is definitely just round the corner....

IMG_1169_zpsb2jh2l8w.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Spring work party today, got everything done, even dry enough to light the fire!

Good bit of banter and then down to the pub (a very good country watering hole) for a few jars. Next best thing to fishing!

Stu

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Very similar scenario to Ed, Fruitowl and I went on the BAA stretch of the Salwarpe, started with minnows and a small Dace, Stephen was pretty much the same until he had a better Perch. I found a shoal of small Perch had four before striking into one which ran and dived, turned out to be a small Pike, around 3lb I think, (hard to tell when you've never caught one before) so I finished with a new species and a PB :). Had a small Chub around half a pound and a couple more Perch before we called it a day.