How did you get on?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Mike pulled a sickie yesterday but I decided to go anyway. Jumped in the car to realize I hadn't much fuel, original venue was about 40min away so change of plan and fished the Dam. Damp and drizzly when I arrived at around 7:30 and it stayed that way for much of the morning. Usual approach, GB at around 12M loose feeding the margin while fishing the long line. Pulled a few smaller fish on the long line then switched to the margin pulling out some nice Roach. :

LD_Roach_20200826_094043.jpg

The margin dried up around 10:30 so went back to the long line picking up the odd one here and there. Everything went quiet around 12:30 and stayed that way for the rest of the day just picking up the odd one off the top with the margin rod. 43 on the clicker and only one micro fish so not a bad day. Just a bit surprised it didn't pick up again. Had the Kingfisher streak past right in front of me which is always a bonus and it brightened up in the afternoon so didn't have to pack up soaking wet:)

mikench

Reaction score
Well done gents. My back( sciatica) is still giving grief so I cannot be bothered going. Some nice fish caught there. Alan take some pics.

bullet

Reaction score
Fancied a go at the Tench again, so popped down early this morning.
I had raked and prebaited a swim yesterday, so my hopes were high.
On arrival I could see a bit of blowing had been taking place...
IMG_20200827_062225968.jpg

Didn't take too long for the driftbeater to rise nicely, and I soon had the target in the net..

IMG_20200827_062753902.jpg

The forecast had been dry until midday, then light rain, at about 9am it started hammering down, just as well I took the brolly.
A quick look at the met office, and it was supposed to be full sun!

IMG_20200827_100734215.jpg

Anyway, the Tench seemed to disappear, but the rain encouraged the Rudd, I had several of this sort of size on double corn, and a Roach of about the same stamp...

IMG_20200827_093257078.jpg

I was waiting for the rain to stop so I could pack up, but it didn't, so I had to trudge the 10 mins back to the van trying to carry all my gear and keep under the brolly.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
D9B9F9CF-5F51-4EF7-8183-F0BFF21FA9AE.jpeg

Spent a very pleasant morning on the GUC at nearby Croxley green. Waggler and caster across to the boat in around 3’ of water.
The water barely stayed still all morning with the boat traffic using the locks. Not too much of a problem as I had my float set slightly over depth so the caster was dragging along the deck, just how roach often like it.

6135AE31-0647-4247-93D6-99D632E4D166.jpeg

One small setback occurred when two men came along with a mower and a strimmer and filled the cut with cuttings. With no wind it hung around for a while, making life tricky for me.. Kept pinging hemp and a few casters across all the while.
It didn’t exactly fish it’s head off as it often can, maybe still a little too early for the roach to switch onto autumn mode. Had a few though, some a decent size, along with some small skimmers.

C438055F-3402-4156-A574-FE6D68FB328C.jpeg

B52765F1-0FB6-41AE-8A55-D087B3BE03D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woke up this morning with no plans to fish but the weather was so calm and still after the storm I felt the need to pop over to the estate for a short ninety minute session. It was almost a carbon copy of the previous trip, I went with light tackle, my Greys Toreon float rod loaded with 3lb line through to a size 18 hook on a 2lb hooklength in search of a crucian. Just as last time a lump of a carp too my 4mm pellet and roared off across the lake, fortunately it stopped short of the reed bed for some inexplicable reason and head back towards me, now in open water I could take my time and some fifteen minutes later it was in the net weighing just a tad under 14lb. I nearly always lose these fish on such light gear so to land the last two is pleasing and I’m loving the Greys rod that gave such good assistance.

The fish was perfectly formed but studying the photo I can’t work out what’s going on with its mouth!

I thought that would be it but ten minutes later a nice bonus tench made for a short but entertaining session.

Had I known what a calm morning lie ahead I would have set the alarm for an early call to get down to the beach. A pal of mine landed a 7lb Bass right next to Whitstable Harbour.

Cant win them all. ?

mikench

Reaction score
Gréât post John. I’m glad you like the Greys rod as it’s a joy to use and surprisingly agile and strong.

Your spot on the canal looked a lovely spot Simon. What rod were you using?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John, the carps mouth is no more! Obviously been caught by some plonker more than once and they most likely been using large barbless hooks and played it hard.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John, the carps mouth is no more! Obviously been caught by some plonker more than once and they most likely been using large barbless hooks and played it hard.

That’s how the photo portrays it Tig but I can assure you it was 100% perfect. I spent a minute or two looking for the size 18 hook in its pristine gob.

silvers

Reaction score
Your spot on the canal looked a lovely spot Simon. What rod were you using?

It was a Normark Microlight match 12’ . Probably the best canal rod ever made....
[/QUOTE]
I have 12 foot of conoflex blank that would beg to differ ... ;)

tommos16

Reaction score
A true mixed bag today. A friend and I visited a little fishery in Cheshire rumoured to hold monster Perch. After speaking to the owner, and he seemed genuine, I'm very excited for winter. Very very excited!

For today, it was prawns, worms, maggots and sweetcorn. All ledgered on running rigs, with the idea of a bigger perch in the back of my mind, but truly just looking to catch a bit of a mixed bag.

No bits on the Prawns but ended with Carp to 7lb on worms, chub, Perch to half a lb, roach, rudd, a mini Barbel and my first ever Eel (s). Not sure I'd take the bootlaces again, however, I'm pleased as punch to tick them off my list all the same.

A great day and my winter target of a 2lb Perch has taken a step forward, in terms of location if nothing else.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
As ever, I've been out fishing far more than I report on. I've struggled to find the enthusiasm to report on the scratching about I've been doing on both still and running water. The last couple of weeks have been an absolute nightmare. I've been forced into dodging between rivers, just to find sensible levels, and fishing stillwaters when I don't really want to.

Yesterday, as the weather was about as good as it has been in a while, but both rivers had far too much water in them. I went to a club lake with ultra light bit bashing gear. A steady stream of tiny roach, perch and skimmers was not unexpected but was strangely unsatisfying. The only half decent fish to show were three perch pushing the pound mark. However, I strongly suspect the three perch were actually one exceedingly stupid perch. The tin lid on an unfulfilling day was put on by the arrival of the rain which wasn't forecasted.

Today, the weather wasn't bad. A 40% chance of some rain for a few hours in the late afternoon. The river wasn't as low as I'd like, but it was as low as I've seen in a while, so off I went. After 13 dace, 1 chub, 1 grayling and the obligatory spotted hooligan, the bites dried up almost completely. This coincided with the arrival of the rain. I hoped that the rain would pass shortly and I'd get a few more fish. I got one more dace and the rain got heavier. By the time I was sick enough to knock it on the head the rain was bordering on the biblical. No need to wash the rod down tonight, though my gaff does look like a Chinese laundry.

I was quite enjoying it until the rain got silly. Even fish of less than a pound feel like monsters when the river is carrying extra water. However, it's been a couple of months since I had a fish much over two pounds. If this goes on much longer, I may have to resort to going early to my winter day ticket water to play with the daft carp in there.

Last edited:

Reaction score
After watching last nights forecast (supposedly dry)I decided to go today,I intended to go to the backwater at Leasey Bridge,on arrival at 6.30am I couldn't get in the car park,so off down the road to the small river,fished at the upstream end on the float and had five barbel to 7lbsish and an 8oz roach,the missus rang at 1pm and said it was going to start raining heavily at 2pm,that tore it,I packed with it spitting with rain,i'd only driven half a mile and the sun came out so I popped back to Leasey to find two cars there,parked up,walked along,chatted to the to fellas fishing then walked up to the backwater,didn't fancy it,but looking in a swim on the river spotted several barbel,so out with the gear and had another four barbel around 2lb and a small chub around a pound,then it persisted down,thunder,lightening,I packed totally drowned,drove home with the roads flooded,lovely....

john step

Reaction score
Leasey Bridge! That brings back memories. I was a member when the backwater was dug out. Quite a progressive club.

There is a saying about the plans of mice and men. Apt today.
I went to my syndi reservoir today for carp. I have been known to boast about with a membership of 10 its always deserted.
Sods law today everyone else had the same idea. It can take 10 anglers but not 10 anglers all with more than one rod after carp so I went else where, sat in the rain until 9 pm blanking and then went home to hang all my crud in the garage to dry.
Oh Well.

seth49

Reaction score
Out again yesterday with Neil and Mick, which is good apart from them deciding to fish either side of me, which meant that any carp patrolling the margins had to pass them first:mad:, there’s twenty five pegs on here, and they had to pick the ones either side of me.

Next time will be different, anyway it was slow going it’s feeling colder now, and the water definitely felt colder than last week, I did get a couple of barbel, and an F1 to start with but the carp were being very cautious, they were coming into the swim just not picking the baits up.

Did get one carp late on, but lost three which dived into the reeds, mick had one carp, and Neil had a couple, one of which was a belter of a common, 14 lbs a very deep solid fish, it’s the first fish in the photos, followed by my carp and one of the barbel, did turn wet later as forecast, last couple of hours were rather wet, so my stuff is being dried with the dehumidifier just now, good job I repaired my brolly.
10A4B807-93C6-458E-8624-BEC1DCC50985.jpeg
8BAF85B4-ED24-4893-91B6-3BD19490C7AF.jpeg
11B0CB78-5650-47CC-8C41-37B4F298B18E.jpeg

barbelboi

Reaction score
As it was a calm day yesterday after the storm I decided to take a stroll over the back fields for a spot of chub trotting. Loaded up with the 2000Titan, pin, bag, net/mat I managed a few hours (between 1-4pm ) before the rain arrived. The end total was 7 chub and a few roach and managed to nip back home before the real rain started..........
27aug2020Ise2.JPG

27aug2020Ise1.JPG
27aug2020chub2.JPG
27aug2020chub1.JPG