How did you get on?

The Runner

Reaction score
Northerly winds had kept me away from the North End pollack marks last week, turned to a fresh southerly last night so back up to Aird/ Kilmaluag today. Walk in a bit easier than usual as one of the crofters had just been along it on a quad bike which flattened a lot of the vegetation on the rougher bits. Wished him a "Madainnn Mhath" as he came back about 40 yards away and got a "morning" in return- think that should have been the other way round....
Had the whole place to myself again, started at the Bun-Idein end, pollack first chuck and then nothing for half an hour, Changed to a smaller lure, a little black and white Cannibal Shad , and picked up another five in the next hour. Suppose could have stayed there all day picking off odd fish but the siren call of slack water and what might turn up on a big bait got me to move 400 yards along and set up the big rod. Most of a side of mackerel on a 6/0 got lobbed out 50 yards- only got 40 minutes before the tide started running with no indications. One of these days....Did have another two pollack on the lure rod while waiting though. Left backpack and beachcaster at the top of the rocks and just took lure rod and small bag along to the far end of Rubh'an t-Sailleir
IMG_1654.JPG

Again only got half an hour here before had to withdraw to avoid getting wet feet as the tide filled a little gully behind me, one more pollack and a half pound coalie, back to where I'd left the rest of the gear and added one more from the tide rip. Swell building strongly so moved back to where I'd started, two more pollack straight away then nothing for a while so decided to have the last 40 minutes on Rubha na Tragha which I'd walked past twice. Changed to a 20gm Toby for extra distance as reckoned the backwash from the now heavy swell might be pushing the fish further out. It certainly made one difference, picked up another four small coalies on it as well as one last pollack before called it a day.
Good mixture of sizes to the pollack today- only remembered late on that had put scales in bag the other day so weighed second last (and probably second biggest) fish (third pic) at 5 lb exactly which probably put the biggest (second pic) around seven.
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1656.JPG

Steady stream of gannets going past mostly Southwards and loads of shags and guillemots about- think I had a take off a guillemot on the drop but luckily didn't hook it. Odd collection of Corvids on the croft land just by the Aird turnoff. As well as a lot of jackdaws there were seven or eight ravens and around a dozen hoodies all rummaging around in a freshly mown hayfield- unusual to see so many of either together. Very late mowing, all of the other croft fields there had been cut by mid July which makes me wonder if there had been corncrakes about in these two fields. A few still turn up here every year scattered about the North end of the island, and you can get a grant if they're on your land for delaying the mowing.

In summary, a warm day, a gully full of pollack, and a view out to the Western Isles.
What more could you ask for ?...
IMG_1653.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had an away day on the substitute local river. As ever, trotting with a long rod, centrepin and a Bolo float. I got just over four hours in before they started combining in the field opposite. Either the noise, or the dust, killed it stone dead. I also suspect that the barrage might have been altered because what little pace it had rapidly diminished with no apparent drop in the level.

I had around seven and a half pounds of bits. Mostly (very) small roach with a few better ones to ten ounces, if I'm lucky. Also had a fair number of dace, mostly of the tiny variety. Three perch of eight to ten ounces and a solitary chublet made up the numbers. A nice busy day, but if you can't get big it's good to get lots.

Wasn't particularly pleased by the canoeists, wild swimmer and daft lads trolling lures from a powered boat. I wonder if any of them were actually permitted to be doing what they were doing.

Some of the better ones.
DSCPDC_0003_BURST20200831183134636_COVER.JPG

rubio

Reaction score
Third evening on trot in same swim. Having put in a couple of generous handfuls of hemp as I left yesterday, I started off feeding it again whilst setting up. Got bites from the very first and was lucky enough to hold them for a little over 3hours.
Tares caught best today using 6m whip to hand. You can appreciate why I might be wishing some of these were true roach.

Attachments

• 20200831_170858.jpg
    20200831_170858.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

mikench

Reaction score
I last fished over a week ago due to a combination of a bad back, weather, lethargy and family issues. Left to my own devices I suspect I would have stayed home today but Gordon suggested we go and how could I refuse. We met up before dawn at a nice water which suffers from low water levels in summer. This became obvious as we walked to our preferred pegs.

IMG_7544.JPG
IMG_7545.JPG
IMG_7546.JPG

Gordon was behind me on a kidney shaped pool. We both float fished with the Greys Torions with a variety of baits. The weather was warm and sunny becoming rather hot around lunchtime. I fished maggot and had around 30 small roach but fishing a curried chickpea on a hair I had 11 carp to 8lb and 2 more on a yellow chocolate Bandum. This was a typical common around the 7-8 lb mark.

IMG_7547.JPG

It was a very enjoyable day and my back improved with every carp. We had some good chats about Alzheimer's, getting old and fishing. A thoroughly enjoyable day. Cheers Gordon and here's to our next little jaunt. I'm glad I made the effort to go : it was very worthwhile.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s good to have a pal you can go fishing with, it does get you out when alone you might not bother.

Not that I’d know, Billy No Mates me.?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I plan a trip to Kent early November including a visit to Whitstable. :)

you were in Kent a week or two ago, you didn’t take me to dinner or even write, crestfallen doesn’t even come close. ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I checked the ea levels this morning and it was a little high for me so to allow it to run off some more I waited until mid afternoon before setting off.
When I arrived and saw the river I could see it hadn't run off much at all since I checked the ea levels earlier. Anyhow I fished three good spots but it was alkward doing so as the water was occassionaly lapping over the top of my thigh waders which drew my attention to how bloody cold it was!
I had no joy at all in those first swims and moved up river to another one. This swim was wall to wall fish but I only caught small ones, if there was any big ones there I didn't get any! I did get lots though, mainly roach and dace with a few chublets and a single grayling. Amongst the roach I caught there were two quite decent ones which i'd say were well over a pound and the grayling was nearer two. I was stoood way out in the river, again with the water occassionaly slurping over the tops of my waders, so didn't bother with any pic's.

I was chatting with another angler who I know and he mentioned he was using his new barbel rod, a korum rod. He said how when he bought it from AD a woman assistant took it from the bag and proceeded to check every guide with her finger and said" this ones ok".
I told him how i'd just returned one of korums opportunist rods because of a damaged guide liner!
If the staff in AD are checking every rod guide with their fingers then it sounds as though there has been some problem with them.

Reaction score
It’s good to have a pal you can go fishing with, it does get you out when alone you might not bother.

Not that I’d know, Billy No Mates me.?

Know the feeling mate,since my old mate moved away,I fish on my own all the time,which I enjoy,but it isn't quite the same as having buddy banter...

mikench

Reaction score
I forgot to express pleasure and thank for the posts by The Runner. These are always far more interesting than my minor exploits and accompanied by stunning photos of often majestic scenery. Well done that man.

seth49

Reaction score
A pleasant day for yesterday’s fishing trip, just mick and I as Neil was busy, so back to the new fishery for some margin carp fishing, talking to someone who was fishing when we arrived, he reckoned a lot of the smaller fish had been eaten by cormorants during lockdown as nobody had been there to keep them away.

So arrived at twelve, ready to fish till dusk, as from three pm seems to be the best time for the carp to come into the margins, so I put my nine foot carp rod out with a method feeder on, on an alarm, and had my nine foot Nash dwarf rod with 20 lb power pro braid, with a short nylon trace to a size 8 Korum mix’s hook, giving me the choice of floater fishing, or free lining in the margins.

As there were a few carp cruising on the top, I started fishing for them with a floater bait giving them a few small dog biscuits as free offerings, just threw a few biscuits in for a while and watched till they were taking them confidently, before casting in, had one within minutes which weighed 10 lb 12 ozs, followed by one of 10 lbs 2 ozs, so a good start.

By now they were feeding in the margins on the 2 mm pellets I’d been feeding so changed to a mussel on that rod and dropped it in the edge, nothing for a while and then had one of 7 lbs 6 ozs, slow after that, tried different baits before trying two 8mm expander pellets on the hook, that gave me two more, a nice ghostie of about five pounds, and another which came of at the net, so not a bad day in all, enough action to keep it interesting, and another good peg to add to my list.
B4D2FD7D-7A78-45FA-96D1-CA69302A672B.jpeg
0EC13483-6385-4D52-A528-945094F6E6D4.jpeg
CE85B3E4-891D-42FD-897D-666A974A293D.jpeg

rubio

Reaction score
Enjoyed a couple of hours on a local stretch. Had my bread leftover so trotted flake and punch for a mix of bits. Mostly roach but a chub of about 3lbs gave me the runaround on light gear and plenty of weed growth. Only a few places clear of duckweed which didn't help my reconnaissance mission looking for some features that won't be visible in winter.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
17 codgers fished yesterday at Marsworth on a hot and windless day. This made waggler across fishing much easier than usual.

AB05A534-9AF1-4481-A8AD-961D9172FEF9.jpeg

57AC8DE5-4D9F-4820-986B-8C8ABA1689BA.jpeg

3BB Middy waggler to an 18 carbon match hook, single red maggot was the favoured bait. Plenty of gudgeon, perch, ruff, roach and skimmers. The bigger bream still failing to show this year?
Had 4:15:0 for 6th place, so no cigar.
Winner had 11:3:0.
My net....

EBFBE422-0490-4606-8BF8-5FD861CCD509.jpeg

christhoel

Reaction score
Had a few hours on the river then canal with my eldest before school restarts !
Set his whip up only a thin little thing set it up put a double white maggot on and swung it out to show him what to do and boom a decent chub scrapping like mad on the end after 5 minutes it was landed a pd chub for me !
After that excitement it calmed down I gave him his whip and he was happy to swing in tiny roach but a bit cross that I was just testing his whip was working lol when the chub appeared lol
We both had a few small roach and perch probably around 30 fish between finished the session back on the river which looked great with chub topping until a dog appeared from nowhere and decided he was swimming in the river !
25F7C81C-624B-4852-8C23-4EB569D6A40E.jpeg
FFE28267-8C92-46B0-9F3B-9E0D6D8AD3D1.jpeg
ED80AE42-5499-4B5F-BE19-BB523F400C15.jpeg
9DE8FB25-6BF5-4BF2-9885-3A88C6A1908A.jpeg
BE8E1B3B-52C7-4861-B633-8AD00B47598C.jpeg
5C998EB4-D2C3-482D-8281-D3375B9E2DF1.jpeg
C6935AA4-319E-4EF4-A158-FA83BDCCEF37.jpeg
B3A6C3AB-0B3D-4513-8B2D-5100082F45DC.jpeg

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why on earth would you post maps of a water etc?

Rayner, you think it's funny?

Last edited:

The Runner

Reaction score
I forgot to express pleasure and thank for the posts by The Runner. These are always far more interesting than my minor exploits and accompanied by stunning photos of often majestic scenery. Well done that man.
Thanks for that.
Always have it at the back of my mind that my posts could be in danger of getting a bit samey as am bouncing around the same handful of venues without much change in tactics etc but the scenery probably makes up for it...
Anyway, a change next time- off to the Severn on Saturday with old friends for our annual barbel (and beer) week. Assuming no sudden local lockdowns.

silvers

Reaction score
Martin,

Warning - don’t go to Bewdley Saturday ... Riverfest qualifier.
to be fair... there’s an open on most saturdays anyway ... albeit fewer pegs.

The Runner

Reaction score
Thanks Alex
We won't be fishing the Saturday and usually stick to the BAA stretches anyway. Heard its been really busy this year with people making 5a.m and earlier starts to get a decent swim... The chance of any of us doing that is probably the thin side of negligible.

silvers

Reaction score
That sounds like a proper “fishing” holiday!

with the rain today you may just catch it perfect!