How did you get on?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I was affected by that I would take those pictures and some of the company hiring the gear and sent it to the local paper and trading standards. You might get them shut down. :rolleyes:

if my experience is anything to go by, not a chance Mike. Along with other concerned members I wrote to our MP and various tv and press organisations highlighting our concerns over safety on our local river, keeping in mind a young lad drowned on the Stour just over a year ago.

I‘ll give credit to our local MP Rosie Duffield who did follow up my concerns and requests but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears at Canterbury counci who have stated after investigation the canoe hire company are operating within the safety rules. Anglers and boat owners have witnessed otherwise.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I took a trip to Wittersham in Kent this morning. My club has about a mile of the Rother and also a length of dyke leading to a pumping station. My plan was if the river was coloured up then I would fish the dyke. Unfortunately the dyke was choked with weed with very few clear spots. Second cast and I had a take on a light jig with a small silver shad lure. Initially I thought I had a decent perch but unfortunately it was a small Jack pike. There were very few clear spots, only about half a dozen in the entire length. I was by now at the far end of the stretch where the dyke meets back up with the river. Although the river was coloured I decided to give it a go. I tried a variety of lures, spinners and plugs and finally ended up with two larger Jacks.
e709eadf12fc91aba60e90e7c697e267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
There was a very long running and probably one of the most informative threads on here by the late Derek Gibson. Derek was a proper pike fishing legend and had loads of huge pike to his credit. Derek’s jerk baits could have eaten my poor little Replicant lure and some of his pike could have probably swallowed that Jack whole. I can’t seem to locate that thread, which is a shame.

Anyway back on topic or teacher will slap our legs, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wetthrough

Reaction score
Short session yesterday from 12:4.30 on my local pool. There are some sizeable Carp in the pool and plenty of snags so started off on 3.3lb:18s, getting interest but not many positive bites. I got snagged on the bottom and changed over to 2lb:20s which seemed to improve matters. One Bream around 2lb, two skimmers the rest being Roach from 6:12oz, perhaps a bit more, 16 in all. No Crucians which I though might just show up. 12oz Roach aren't that uncommon in this pool and mostly taken on the drop. Some to caster some to Tare. Couldn't get anything to touch bread.

TCC_22_20201011_150756.jpg

Reaction score
On the H.Avon many years ago I had a pike following all the way through the fight till netting,the barbel weighed 9lbs 14ozs,the pike looked a similar size,crazy...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I didn’t feel the usual excitement and ambition yesterday morning as I packed the car for a fixture on the Thames at Windsor. Last Sunday was poor with the river racing through like chocolate milkshake. A horrible peg which shallowed up as I trotted a float and not a lot of choice when it came to tactics.

Well, I got there and paid my pools then to cap all the negativity in my mind I drew the same fracking peg again!

The 10minute walk to the peg was slow, I half wanted to turn around and go elsewhere but this was a pairs match so I had a partner to consider.

Reached the peg and it didn’t look too different to last week. See below.

E56AB3CF-3E2A-4FA7-BE19-7CA3D4CFCACA.jpeg

Yesterday...

80449BE3-F450-4B30-92B5-710903FEC037.jpeg

17’ Aco and a 5BB stick float and maggot/ caster, bloody minnows every chuck. Out further in the deeper water small bleak and gudgeon. After 3 hours and about 5 micro fish in the net I reluctantly packed up. Partner didn’t seem to be that bothered I’d given up, although I did apologise....

Note to self... Make up a pole feeder rig ready for next time...

peter crabtree

Reaction score

There you go...

sam vimes

Reaction score

Philip

Reaction score
I have hardly wet a line over the last few weeks, which has been frustrating as the Roach had been feeding well on the river. I had however been keeping bait going in a spot in anticipation of giving it a go but with dropping temperatures & cooler rain I wondered if I was wasting my time as I half-heartedly set off on a trip to bait up.
On arrival, I decided the best plan of action was to have a few casts for 20mins or so just to see if there was anything around. The idea being that should I draw a complete blank I would curtail the baiting & focus on pastures new.
Grabbing a rod & a few bits from the car I settled down for a few casts. Within minutes, a couple of good fish rolled close to the baited area and my spirits rose. The river was pushing through and carrying allot of rubbish, which continually fouled the line. However holding the rod and touch ledgering, I was able to continually maneuver the rod tip to steer the line round the worst of the rubbish and keep the bait fishing. A firm tug and I struck into what felt like a good Roach that jagged around before coming to the net. I could see it was a good fish, which on the scales went 1.12. That was good enough for me, the fish were still here ! ... so I put out the pre bait and vowed to return later that evening for a couple of hours.

The 1.12 Roach...

Roach5.jpg

The forecast had said it would remain dry until the early hours however, on arriving in the dark it started to rain. To compound matters a large barge steamed through at a ridiculous rate of knots and the wash absolutely flooded everything…almost washing my chair into the river as I jumped up the bank to save myself a soaking. I was in two minds to go straight back home but decided I may as well try. It turned out to be a good decision as the fish fed well. A couple of nice Roach came to the net followed by a good Carp that stormed off on a massive run but luck was on my side and 30min later I managed to land it on the Roach tackle.

This one stormed off downriver & took me 30mins to land on the Roach tackle...
Carp5.jpg

3 more Roach and another small Carp that for a minute or so I thought might be the mother of all Roach completed a wet and uncomfortable but ultimately enjoyable few hours.

These two both went 1.6 & were like peas in a pod ..

Roachbrace5.jpg

peter crabtree

Reaction score
13 codgers fished today on the GUC near Berkhamsted. A chilly day with a slight breeze. Still some colour in the water and minimal boat traffic. All roach and skimmers for me on punch to start with, nothing bigger than 12oz. A change to caster laid on and I lost what I suspect was a big roach. It just bolted for the far bank and came off...

2AFB52CD-AB0D-4C52-82AD-557C5A2A539D.jpeg
082FA1E4-CFD2-4E5D-963F-935A634EDD06.jpeg

133BFBB0-9B6A-4E2F-B18F-1C6351B8A934.jpeg

It went quiet around 1pm after a fairly hectic first 3 hours, struggled a bit for the final 2 hours.

962FEC58-67F3-4953-937D-7FF367619BD2.jpeg

Weighed in 5:0:0 for 2nd with 5:6:8 winning.

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual pond today, cold start only 1 degrees C and ice on car windscreen, fished pole with maggots for bait mainly, did try a few expander pellets but nothing on them, it was clear and sunny at first, but soon clouded over and the rain showers started, at least we got set up in the dry and I had a plastic sheet over my bags etc, it was flat calm at first and quite pleasant in the sunshine.

Just fed a few maggots at first and fished over them with my pole, first fish was a F1 and then just gudgeon with a few small roach as well, no sign of any carp at all, about twelve o clock the wind got up out of the northeast and got stronger and colder as time passed on, after two the bites dried up and by four o clock mick had had enough, so I agreed and we packed up and left, looks like we’ll be pike fishing soon
83A44DAF-5019-461E-968D-392F7A53B4A3.jpeg
57482C68-4EDD-43B1-84DF-D4B0470E9A84.jpeg