How did you get on?

mikench

Reaction score
As the forecast was good, er indoors was going out, my maggots were fresh and I still wanted a bend in the rod, I set out to my favourite water for
IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8195.JPG
the first visit in a couple of months. This was early doors.

I was soon into some roach my intended quarry and I caught 19 with none less than 6oz and 4 over 1lb . One touched 1.12oz .

IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG

I also had several small perch, several skimmers, one 2.5lb silver bream and loads of gudgeon. The weather was lovely.

IMG_8196.JPG

There is another blocked drain at the water or maybe the same one again so all pegs were under water and I'm not keen in sitting in it. The roach made up for it though.

IMG_8198.JPG

A great day !

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As the forecast was good, er indoors was going out, my maggots were fresh and I still wanted a bend in the rod, I set out to my favourite water for View attachment 11441View attachment 11442the first visit in a couple of months. This was early doors.

I was soon into some roach my intended quarry and I caught 19 with none less than 6oz and 4 over 1lb . One touched 1.12oz .

View attachment 11443
View attachment 11444

I also had several small perch, several skimmers, one 2.5lb silver bream and loads of gudgeon. The weather was lovely.

View attachment 11445

There is another blocked drain at the water or maybe the same one again so all pegs were under water and I'm not keen in sitting in it. The roach made up for it though.

View attachment 11446

A great day !
Nice fish Mike, must be the lucky carryall ?
Looks as if you gave it a clean up as well.

john step

Reaction score
A day on my deep syndi res with mag and wag on the Acy 14ft.
Nice bright and sunny but most importantly no wind and no drag.
21 roach 4 small perch 1 skimmer and a very late season 4lb tench!
A really lovely day.

And my attempt at a Peter Crabtree style of photo>>>>

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
No matches for the time being so a nice Sunday morning on the Colne was called for. Took a long walk to the downstream swims and set up. 17’ Aco, 3BB stick float and a 20 b611. Single maggot trotted down in 3’ of water, which was a bit clear, but fish were there.

CD53748F-44F4-4E41-A263-7CC965F28505.jpeg

Feeding loose maggots the first bites were bleak, followed by dace, chub, roach and perch. Neil 1970 happened along with his lure gear at one point, so we had a chat. 3 hours fishing was enough today, at least I got some bites...

4AE696C2-07B0-4CB7-B4C1-E1E90E73FD18.jpeg

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just a good long walk today which took in a canal. Four fishing for Pike, one with a bung and three spinning. The first bloke said he had a couple of knocks but he kept pulling in dead weed although he was using a weed free lure. I suggested to him to try a plug, not sure he wanted the advice but I can be a pain in the A sometimes. The other three had nothing at all except one said he had seen one in the shallows, I would have thought one of them would have had one.
Nice walk, warm day with no wind, not much wildlife except a Kestrel and a pair pied wagtails.
100_0562.JPG
100_0574.JPG

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I was going to go back to the club water I did so well on a couple of weeks ago. I arrived at the water at first light let myself through two combination locked gates as I drove into the car park two guys were walking out, bu88er! There are only a few swims and my options were being limited. As I drove into the car park there were three other cars so I turned around and drove out.

Time for plan B. There is a pond about four miles from this venue that I have been planning to take a look at for a while. I drove through the gates and around the track surrounding the field, right up to the lake. This was more like it, I had the place to myself, well apart from a few sheep that is.
070b7c19e216042ebee553b9acfd8dee.jpg

I had a recce and it looked good. Unfortunately it was very shallow and for the most part very weedy. I persevered and was rewarded with a wasp sized perch that took a copper spinner almost as big as itself.
bb0fcc6f21d2e30f8e73afe71d9650a2.jpg

I tried a few different lures and jelly worms and eventually had six small perch to show for my efforts. Time for plan C.

My club has a stretch of the Rother at Bodium. I last fished it when I was about thirteen years old it looks different now as it has flood banks, which it didn’t back then. It is a very picturesque place and Bodium Castle as a backdrop takes some beating.
9cb114ac1bbd778d3ed83188097301fc.jpg

Second cast with a jelly worm resulted in a perch of about half a pound and that was it for perch. I had three jacks, two on jelly worms and one on a spinnerbait. I fished until dusk and then came home.

Not a great catch considering the effort I put in, but hey ho, that’s fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterjg

Reaction score
How did I get on? Well it was fantastic! Just got back in, had a great session which lasted only about 20 minutes. Been worm snitching in the back garden - caught 11 big lobworms - though I missed just as many takes! Worm snitching is better than fishing and more skill is required! The action is all in the wrist! I'd forgotten what good fun it is! No PBs though.

bullet

Reaction score
Yep, excellent sport! In fact, I like bait hunting of any sort almost as much as fishing.
I've almost missed the best part of the tide when I've been netting Prawns for Bass bait on more than one occasion.

john step

Reaction score
Nice mild day on what will be the last visit to this lake this year. Just fancied a bend or two in the rod. Now I know F1s are not everyones favourites but in this water they are quite big and are quite handsome fish in their own right. Also blooming difficult to hook!
Anyway I had five all about 5 to 6 pound plus one common.

Must get my piking head on soon.

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and i turned up at the Bridgewater canal at 7.30am. We both had reservations about the canal and the prospect of leaves. We had every right to.

IMG_8214.JPG
IMG_8215.JPG

The maestro is shown in the top pic. We settled in and both floatfished . It was slow and bites were few and far between.

I reverted to trying out my baitcaster rod and reel plus my new toy- Robobait. I'm a sucker for gimmicks and bought one of these battery powered fish lures with a propeller in the mouth. The battery is activated by water and you fish it below a pike bung. It swims just like a real fish and , believe me , is very realistic. I was impressed but no bites and after an hour the battery needs a recharge. I'm convinced that on a better day it will catch a pike or perch. Here it is.

IMG_8213.JPG

By now a breeze had developed which, combined with a tow on the canal brought masses of leaves into our swims and as far as the eye could see in either direction.

IMG_8217.JPG

Fishing became even more difficult and almost impossible. I ended up with one perch and 3 roach so dismal. Gordon had a good few more but we were outside, enjoying pleasant weather and in an attractive location. Most importantly we are alive and well and able to fish in the current lockdown. More fish would have been nice but hey ho that's life and for that I'm grateful.

Cheers Gordon and here's to our next venue.

Last edited:

tommos16

Reaction score
Just the one for me, and just so happened to be my first proper Pike (I've had a Micropike on worm).

I'd give myself 4/5lb for it, certainly was no monster but had been feeding, very short fight I must admit, it gave up like a Bream after one run.

I'd watched all the videos and read all the guidance and I was still very nervy handling it but it wasn't deep hooked and I got the grip right first time of trying and it is swimming away again by Wigan pier trying to find the remaining Roach I imagine.

Some rush!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Pete it is charged by a USB and takes about 3 hours. It is water activated so stops immediately it is raised from the water. It really does swim around like a real fish; even Gordon was impressed. I will report further when I actually catch something. It's a gimmick I admit but apart from not catching it does mimic a fish.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't normally fish the mighty Stonar lake this time of year but given the unseasonal weather, warm and calm it seemed too good an opportunity not to give it a visit.

Expected to see champagne corks floating by with the Pfizer complex just a few yards away.

Two feeder rods out for seven hours with an occasional swap for the float rod, four bites resulting in four small rudd, very disappointing. The lake was busy and many anglers had left way before me so I guess the fish just weren't having it today.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Another visit to the river to try to catch a pike on the fly......... and another blank. I have not managed to add a second since my inaugural capture on 18 August. There have been a few 'plucks and pulls', it's true; but no proper takes.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Lure anglers on the bank tell me they are catching small jacks but nobody has put in a claim to me for a serious Esox. I certainly do not blame my tools (only a bad workman does that) but I have something of a lack of confidence in my retrieve. As the water cools, do I need to slow this down, or are southern winters too benign to outweigh the need to stimulate an aggressive response in my quarry? Generally, I try to position myself to cast upstream, and bring the fly back with the flow (such as it is) but, now and again, I allow it to flutter in the current on a downstream cast.

The river I fish is by no means crystal clear but the flies I have been using have been pretty visible to eighteen inches or so and this is a very small river - less than twenty feet across.

Never mind. It's fun trying. And today, I saw a barn owl hunting.