How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Out early yesterday morning there for 6am, roads were very quiet at that time, not bad weather wise still the cool wind though, picked what is usually a good peg as I was first there, usual sleeper rod in margins and set pole up to fish fairly close in.

Tried maggots for a change as they seem to have gone off worms, but the skimmers loved these as well, only one tench which seemed to have gone quiet lately, probably stuffed with carp spawn as they come into the margins when the carp are spawning,

So moved in to about four foot from the edge, and had four barbel best over two pounds which gave a good scrap, plus four F1s, and some decent roach, plus the usual skimmers.

Plenty of carp coming into the margin but not having any of the baits I tried, did get a nice fully scaled mirror of around five pounds on sleeper rod just before I packed up, so try somewhere else tomorrow for a change, still an enjoyable day though.
2541197B-457D-4F0C-9258-C543FAB06926.jpeg

DB2CBC55-637A-4989-9379-266FD35DF72A.jpeg

wetthrough

Reaction score
Fished the Dam yesterday. Didn't start too well arriving at around 7. Set up the 13' to fish at around 9M. Cast in and started setting up the 10'6" for the margin. Get a bite on the 13', strike, fish on and start winding only to find the line on the margin rod had got caught round the 13' reel. What a mess. Both lines got intertwined and ended up jammed inside the back of the rotor. Ended up having to pull until it broke. Did manage to land the small Roach though. Complete rerig required on the 13'. Set it up again and put it to one side while setting up the margin rod. I'd been loose feeding the margin while all this was going on. Groundbait was already in at 9M. The margin usually fishes well early on with a good stamp of fish but not yesterday. Picked up a few small Roach before switching to the 9M. Not much better there, just small Roach going to sweetcorn, around the 3oz mark. Did manage one reasonable skimmer around 10oz but it was generally slow and uninspiring. Fishing with about 4" on the bottom I was surprised to get a nice Perch to sweetcorn. I've had Perch to odd baits before but always when the bait has been moving, on the drop or retrieve.

LD_Perch_20220705_104457.jpg

A slightly smaller Perch followed shortly after, again to sweetcorn on the bottom. maybe they're turning Vegy.

Very slow day with Roach every now and then around the 3oz mark. Decided to start packing up around 3.30. Thought I'd have one last go in the margin and picked 6 or seven up around the 4oz mark. Packed up around 4pm.

john step

Reaction score
A 24 stint/overnighter on my lake. Zilch. Not a twitch. The water is dour. Even the pole men with tiny hooks cannot catch more than a few tiny fish.
After treading on my feeder rod on Monday and dashing off an email to Daiwa I have a reply and a telephone number to ring tomorrow. The price quoted was £8+postage. If that's correct it will be a bargain. Daiwa have a smashing customer relations department.

nottskev

Reaction score
A 24 stint/overnighter on my lake. Zilch. Not a twitch. The water is dour. Even the pole men with tiny hooks cannot catch more than a few tiny fish.
After treading on my feeder rod on Monday and dashing off an email to Daiwa I have a reply and a telephone number to ring tomorrow. The price quoted was £8+postage. If that's correct it will be a bargain. Daiwa have a smashing customer relations department.

We're in synch Pete - I went out at 4pm with my eye on an Erewash barbel - never seen one, much less caught one. It's a long walk to the likely swims (by my standards) and the last leg involves going under an M1 bridge. The cows that roam the meadows all around were packed shoulder to shoulder and nose to tail under the bridge. I meet plenty of cows out fishing, no problem, but I couldn't be sure how this condensed herd would react to me insisting they give way. Back in the car and another walk to a length where I'd seen no likely barbel swims, but I was loath to just go home. Half an hour in a dead swim under trees. Then half an hour by a smelly sewage outfall - the only swim on the river with a bit of movement and turbulence. Not a bite.
Back home by 6.30. It was one way to get my 3,000 steps in (10,000? No chance) but I won't make a habit of it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another early one for me today but despite arriving at the club lake before dawn there were 10 cars in the car park. I had a quick look but every swim I fancied was taken.
I trudged off towards one of the day ticket lakes but incredibly the bottom end of the long bank was empty and I bagged the swim that once gave me 14 crucian over 3lb in a day. Trouble is….when it’s not busy it usually means it’s not fishing and so it proved being challenging to say the least.
Biteless first couple of hours before the roach moved in and drove me nuts all morning….fish I’d be more than happy to catch trotting but no fun on feeder gear. All between 8-12 ounces.
They disappeared about half past midday and around 1ish I got a proper bite but it was only a joey tench of around a pound. 30 mins later the lunchtime mugfish turned up and had I lost it I’d have sworn it was a tench not the crucian it turned out to be. 40 roach free minutes later with my bait running out I’m in again and it’s another lovely crucian. I fished on until all my bait was gone and I felt I could have had another fish or two if I’d stayed but it was already a long day and with the M25 to beat I gave it best.
The M25 for once was quite well behaved until Heathrow where it got a bit sticky but I was still home in half the time it took me last week.
Lovely fishing day…warm, overcast, for once plenty of room and quiet too. It’s a lovely lake to fish…if you can get on.
The crucian went 2-12 and 2-10

Attachments

• DA5D8D59-CCA4-4499-B407-58B321331953.jpeg
    DA5D8D59-CCA4-4499-B407-58B321331953.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 8910C587-1F79-4EF4-ACE2-C12D232F859F.jpeg
    8910C587-1F79-4EF4-ACE2-C12D232F859F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
A different day , and lots of fun . My local stream is very overgrown and as it runs about ten feet below the surrounding fields it can feel like a parallel universe. Between 6 ft 20 ft across, shallow and totally shaded by mature willows and sycamores. Further upstream , it is prime wild trout fishing , and that in itself is relatively unusual in lowland England thanks to the usual suspects , including climate change and agricultural run off. But here it's chub , dace and grayling which dominate , with a sprinkling of wild brown trout .

The best method by far is fly fishing (upstream of course ) and wading incredibly carefully to avoid spooking fish often lying in only inches of water .I used a 7-6 3/4 weight fly rod, a 0.17 ,mm (7lb) tippet (taking no prisoners in tight, snaggy swims ) on a 13 foot leader and with a size 14 , slightly weighted black lure . Cast upstream , and retrieved erratically .

Some fish took it as soon as it hit the water , others bow waved after it . 2 1/2 hours fishing , about half a mile covered and 22 chub between 0-4 to about 2lbs and couple of very feisty brownies. Huge fun , and totally immersive and absorbing .

Badgerale

Reaction score
Went to a local small river for a short session, hoping to pick up something on maggots and stick float.

Aside from a few small roach it seemed devoid of life - which is surprising given that the place was full of fish on my last visit.

Possibly something about the lack of rain, or the generally muggy atmosphere put them off.

seth49

Reaction score
Later start yesterday as we thought to fish till dusk for a change, so i didn’t set of till 9am and mick was getting there later as he had an errand to run first, usual fishery and there were already five fishing when I arrived, but the bank I wanted to fish was empty, usual tactics sleeper rod in margin, which did nothing, and pole close in for the tench etc, bait was worm over chopped worm and ground bait, plus tried a few expander pellets as a change, both caught.

Started catching a few skimmers to start with plus 1 tench and a couple of roach, so came in to just six foot from the margins using cockles and caught a few more tench plus a barbel, and even a carp which was fun on the light rig I was using for tench.

I’d been putting a few pellets in the margin to attract the carp, and after I’d taken my keepnet out started seeing signs of the carp coming in, so I over wetted some of the ground bait I had left, so it would stay on the bottom plus adding some 2mm pellets as well.

I fed both sides just in front of me and fished just a top kit over these, and then the fun started the carp that were hooked properly stayed on, but four more which I think were foul hooked came off, I finished with 5 carp, 5 tench, 4 barbel, and 15 assorted silvers, it went quiet about 7pm so we decided to go, mick was happy as he had caught a 17lb carp in his catch of 3 carp.

So worth going later, we had a good day, it was a bit hot at times though.
39FD4A61-9D0C-44BD-A823-5F3B3B49582D.jpeg

064C55A5-4C94-4218-818D-8F624B881C17.jpeg

E55706AF-20BF-4D42-BB79-641C97CF6D18.jpeg

A84146FC-AB98-40B4-983F-6DBC99DE6FEA.jpeg

D6DAA461-A2D9-4D34-9038-9A1F82BD077B.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up at our current favourite for a tench or two or should I say we did eventually. A road closure created the most ridiculous diversion I could imagine and more fool me for following it but I was curious. It took me about 6 miles out of my way and caused Gordon to lose his way and will to live. He arrived an hour after me.

980A0D9C-9247-4A4A-A8D5-9F775DC058A7.jpeg

I bet that some fool decided to close a 10 mile section of road to through traffic for 50 yards of resurfacing. Anyway I fished the feeder and Gordon the float. The weather was pleasant if a little breezy and overcast. I caught 2 tench before Gordon got started and this was the best.

12699A6B-3D6E-400B-AA64-FCC32BD88565.jpeg

I didn’t weigh it . After this minor flurry fishing became quiet although Gordon caught some nice roach and over the next few hours a couple of chub. I finally had a third tench and a nice crucian.

2001B39A-DA3B-44D5-9028-F5638EB902A1.jpeg

That was it for me so just 4 fish so disappointing after previous visits but that’s fishing. Gordon caught at least a dozen roach on the float and we both enjoyed the day. The way home was much quicker as I ignored the diversion directions. Cheers Gordon and I look forward to next week although it’s set to be very warm indeed.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
“Agar Firdaus bar roo-e-zameen ast
hameen-ast, o hameen-ast , o hameen-ast ”

“If there is Heaven on Earth
It is here, it is here, it is here.”
Those lines (the initial gibberish is in Persian) have been famously attributed to the Moghul Emperor Jahangir (the father of the one that built the Tajmahal) when he first set eyes on the vale of Kashmir. He wasn’t far wrong in my view.

If you are a fisherman there can be no finer place to fish. You will forget your fishing as you stare at the mighty Himalayas as they tower over the little valleys from behind what would be mountains anywhere else.

View attachment 21749

Dark brooding forests, home to Leopard and Himalayan Black Bear sweep down the slopes to sunlit bottoms where roaring rivers of snowmelt beguile you with their winking waters and you pick up your rod again.

View attachment 21751

The fish is the trout, both rainbow and brown. Introduced by the British, one Scotsman in particular, to help while away the ennervating heat of the summer in the Indo-gangetic plains in the beautiful coolth of the valleys of Kashmir. For those interested the story is well told here:
https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/the-scotsman-who-imported-imperial-trout-to-kashmir/87626/

I am no fisher of trouts. Indeed, this was my first acquaintance with the fish except on a plate. I was, in fact, a little fearful having been told of the almost witchcraft like arts involved in fishing for trout with a fly. It was with some trepidation that I invested in a couple of travel fly rods and fly reels. Floating lines and tippets were acquired and a dear fly fishing friend in Malaysia tied up a collection of recommended flies and couriered them to me. I persuaded a couple of schoolmates and a professor of engineering to join me. One was no mug, for he owned access to and fished two beats on the Test, despite now being settled in Dehra Dun, India, and was our group’s insurance against failure. However, since he disappeared at dawn and appeared just in time for whisky round a much appreciated bonfire ( the nights were splendidly cold - the plains were 45 centigrade plus) he wasn’t much use to the rest of us.

To the rescue came Dr. Faisal Shah! The good doctor has given up the medical profession to be a doctor of trout fishing and who
is the owner of the perfectly wonderful fishing lodge where we put up. He and his team know their stuff and nothing is too much trouble.

We spent the first morning learning how to cast. But it was all for naught. At the riverside the good doctor announced we would be “indicator” fishing. This is, to all extents and purposes, trotting a fly below a float! The float, in this case, was a polystyyrene square, so aptly called by the Americans, a “bobber”. We took to this like the proverbial ducks to water and the Professor promptly celebrated with a double hook up - a fish each on the point and the dropper.

The permit allows six trout above 10 inches in length to be kept by each angler each day. The Kashmiri ghillies have a somewhat startling habit of trying to fill each limit everyday. It took some persuasion to get it through that we did not really need 24 large trout each day. But some would be taken, indeed often killed before you could react.

View attachment 21753

The fish handling was somewhat novel as well.

View attachment 21755

For those who are really looking for big fish there are some of reasonable size as well.

View attachment 21757
Doctor Faisal Shah with a reasonable trout!

Eventually we learnt to swing a wet fly across the stream. We even tried our hand at euro-nymphing and caught fish. The dry fly apparently catches fish as well, but we were not so bold.

We fished the Liddar and Bhringi valleys. The Liddar runs through Pahalgam which is the local tourist hub and the road in on weekends and holidays can be tailed back for miles. There are some superb and picturesque beats along the Liddar. The fishing is done from the side opposite the highway, which is bordered by a black bear reserve. Apparently they are quite often down by the river but we did not meet one. The roar of the Liddar prevents one from hearing the slightest sounds of the vehicular traffic and it can be quite ethereal to fish by a Grade III rapid and occasionally look up and across to this endless but silent snake of traffic on the other side.

I have not the words to describe the beauty of the place. The fish are plentiful. The local people charming and utterly unobtrusive, even when I fished right through their little villages. There are beats and beats some as wild as you can possibly want and others a two day trek.

You will be bewitched by the beauty of the terrain, the charm of the people, the wonderful rivers and fishing and every now and again you will raise your eyes up to the towering snows and agree with the Kashmiris - the Gods truly live there!

All the best

Lakhyaman

I have added a few extra pictures for those who wish to have a look.
Always enjoy your 'How did you get on' reports! best wishes to you.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Another enjoyable day thanks Mike. I'd agree with @mikench about the diversion. Didn't do my blood pressure any good at all.:mad:

The Chub was a bit of a happy accident. I'd been feeding and fishing at around 10:12M but kept seeing bubbles coming up around 30M out. I had a 3g slider on and the bottom is fairly constant at 11' once you get past the margin. A fairly easy chuck with 3g and it wasn't long before the Chub was in the net although probably not what was making the bubbles. I've decided these red nets don't make for good pics but here it is anyway.

GG_Chub_20220708_101502.jpg

Skoda

Reaction score
Haven't been fishing since my trip to the Trent to meet up with NottsKev; very busy with moving house (where did all those boxes come from?). I though I'd share pics of the bite indicator I've still got left over from the late 1960s. I wondered whether it might be the answer to Kev's float-ban on the lake he fishes but it seems the greased fluorescent orange line does the trick, very satisfying.

Indicator1.jpg

Indicator3.jpg

Andy

nottskev

Reaction score
Haven't been fishing since my trip to the Trent to meet up with NottsKev; very busy with moving house (where did all those boxes come from?). I though I'd share pics of the bite indicator I've still got left over from the late 1960s. I wondered whether it might be the answer to Kev's float-ban on the lake he fishes but it seems the greased fluorescent orange line does the trick, very satisfying.

View attachment 21907

View attachment 21909

Andy

Cheers Andy, that's one from the golden age of the butt indicator, before quiver tips, and a variation on the hinged arm type. Do you remember the screw-in Winklepicker? A short quiver tip bizarrely whipped in blue thread?

john step

Reaction score
Mike, that diversion is about the average for here in Lincs. They seem to divert for the fun of it.
I will mention ( before PC chastises) that cheeky builders shut off the main A158 and put diversion signs up a month ago on my wayto a venue over the Wolds.
They had no permission and the Highways Agency shut them down after my complaint.

Keith M

Reaction score
On Friday we had a few hours in the evening (approx 5:30pm till 9pm) with my son on our clubs remote estate lake and we found that we had the lake all to ourselves; although another member did turn up at around 8pm to fish through the night.

My son Stuart had two mirror Carp; an 11lb plus one and a 16lb plus one; and I had one mirror Carp which was a beauty of 21½lb so I was well satisfied.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find a favourite swim empty (of anglers, not barbel) so I dived in. Not far below a weir, it still had some flow and sparkle. It's a short swim, around 4'deep. I didn't fish for a while, just fed small pellets here and there. I've found you can't get them to line up like other species - it's like herding cats. I find grayling much the same. But if you get them excited with random light feeding you can hook them at all points and depths in the swim. When I did start I caught some on a 4.5g loafer, others when I took the float off and bounced the olivette through, one or two on the drop so I had barbel wrenching the rod over before I'd closed the bail arm. As a measure of how many were in the swim, I foul-hooked two, one in the tail. I'm a bit prone to tendonitis around the elbow thanks to these fantastic fish, so I packed up early as I was already feeling it.

The barbel were fighting fit and recovered quickly (quicker than me!) trying to push out of the net after less than a minute. It's a swim where I use gear strong enough that they don't fight to exhaustion, which helps them recover more quickly. With a sore elbow and conditions likely to get worse before they get better, I'll be leaving them alone for a bit. I didn't bother with pics after the first couple.

Az3.jpg
Az4.jpg
Az.jpg

Last edited: