How did you get on?

rayner

Reaction score
, After a few not-so-good results I had the urge to catch. So I decided on whip fishing maggot for roach. Five pints of whites then I lasted all of 30 odd minutes,
since then the weather has been too hot for me to be comfortable. My maggots are now over a week old, still in reasonable condition but getting to be too much trouble to keep them riddling and bagging. My mind slowly began to turn to casters. had my mind been right Casters would have been my first thought when I had to stop fishing. The maggots are in my tray ready to start turning, should not be long turning then it will be whip with casters if it ever cools down.

john step

Reaction score
I have been suffering from some severe health issues so haven't been since last year.

Yesterday I visited my local canal from 4.15am to 6.45am to test a new rod, the RVS River Ambush (see my review).

I just took the bare minimum, I.e. net and rod and a few slices of bread. Fished on a two swan link leger.
I managed 6 roach of between 4 - 6oz and a couple of skimmers around 10 to 12 oz.

View attachment 22045
Glad you are able to get out again.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
As I put in...another thread...I had booked myself in for an overnight session despite the heat and the thunderstorms at my local 1 acre lake. I was hoping to use a tarp for shelter, but sadly the swim where I was booked in was straight into the the wind (which was significant and the ground was rock hard with no heavy things to substitute. So I made it a night under the stars. Sleep wasn't really on the agenda though as I caught regularly. By the end of a 12 hour stint I'd had six doubles with the biggest of 17lb 8oz plus a few smaller ones to take the overall weight to north of 100lb, so for a first night session and on such a small lake I was over the moon. To cap it off I had male and female tawny owls in the tree above me chatting away to each other and a barn owl drifted over in the early dawn. No sleep, but well worth it!
Lousy photo as it was half midnight, but this is the best of the lot.
Oh and I had a bream too. Always a highlight.:rolleyes:
1658343588137.png

Philip

Reaction score
I thought this may be interesting for people to see.

I had an hour or so down the river and landed the fish below. As far as I can tell this was a true wild river leather Carp which makes it an extremely rare beast. As well as the complete lack of any scales (which incidentally is not a pre-requisite for a fish to be a leather) note the small withered anal fin which is another trait often connected to leathers.

While not especially large, perhaps 8 or 9 pounds, it certainly rates as a significant capture for me as you don’t see many of these around at the best of times and especially outside of artifically stocked pools.

A wild leather....a rare fish..
Leather .jpg

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up at a favoured venue one where I have caught a good few tench. Gordon fancied giving the adjoining pool a try so we set up there leaving the tench feeling unloved.😉

92569FD8-1FC3-4466-8BF6-B46C21DDD24A.jpeg

Gordon can be seen in the foreground. The venue hosts weddings in a large teepee like structure in an adjacent field. It looks rather good imo and is clearly popular.
B46BF1BE-215A-4D64-BC63-DC94255AC0F6.jpeg

It was nice and cool in fact it felt decidedly chilly in a stiff breeze.I caught a carp and a skimmer early on and Gordon had a few skimmers and roach. It was a funny day on the fishing front and not what I expected. I finished up with 5 carp the biggest going 11lb 11oz and we both thought it was at least 15lb and it put up a real struggle. That was it for me. I won’t post a pic of the mirror as we all know what they look like. Gordon caught a nice common later on and had 21 fish altogether. We both enjoyed being outdoors in our usual temperatures and thoroughly relished a days fishing.

I tried floater fishing but a paddling of ducks ( I had to look that collective noun up) made it impossible so I reverted back to the feeder. A good day Gordon and here’s to next week and the tench.😉😀🤞

riverman

Reaction score
A decent silvers session today at highfields fishery Leeds.fished the pole and started on maggot and was catching a lot of small roach and perch.so then I switched to soft hooker pellets and noticed the bigger roach 10-12oz range were taking them.so i stayed on the pellets and had about 20 of these roach out before switching to corn.the roach were still coming out but most of them were around the 4-6oz range.very strange no carp tench or skimmers showed all day to either me nor the 3 other anglers at the venue.but I don't mind a good roach session now and again.so it's back on the rivers for me next Monday and planning a session on the wharfe.

John Aston

Reaction score
A lovely big tench on lift method float from the big gravel pit . No lift however, the float just disappeared . Even on sporting tackle - 14 ' Acolyte Plus and 6.7 line - a very mediocre fight . It looked huge and both to me and my fellow angler who was there it looked an easy 8 - I'd have guessed at least 8-8 . So slightly disappointed , which is absurd - all I have to do is to remind myself that Richard Walker never had a six , in those very different times .
No pic , I forgot .

ETA that I didn't put the ACTUAL bloody weight - 7-4 .

Last edited by a moderator:

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual fishery yesterday now that it’s cooler, usual sleeper rod in the margin to my right, and fished pole at two sections plus top kit, usual chopped worm and ground bait with a half worm on the hook, nothing but skimmers out there so I’d mixed some paste up the other night, the usual Swim Stim Green, and fished this of the top kit only just in front of me, which was a lot better caught tench, F1s, roach and Ide plus a few skimmers on this, fished it over soft 2mm pellets plus some hemp.

Even had a couple of crucians as well which was nice, fished that till 3.30 pm, and then changed to fishing paste in margins for the carp, had six carp up to 9lbs 2oz plus l lost a very big carp after playing it for maybe ten minutes, the hook pulled just before I could net it,🤬

So a really good day, my fishing has certainly improved a lot this year, I’m catching a lot more than I used too, finished with 11 tench, 9 F1s, 2 crucians, 4 roach, 2 Ide, and about 20 skimmers plus the carp,
8BE84D67-BF47-449F-AE8D-A4475B8A1765.jpeg

B1A4E459-36D6-4C8E-B2B4-8A8A70C12F97.jpeg

EDB8DA2E-DB64-4574-AF4C-E8E0AA2C22B4.jpeg

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd given the fishing a miss during the heatwave, and a short session in midweek after carp on the monastery pond wasn't very successful, with just one bite from a fish of 9 or 10lb. So I drove out to the tench pit this afternoon for a first visit since May. There was nobody else on when I arrived, which is always a lift

Az9.jpg

This didn't last long, though, as four blokes arrived in one car (must have been like those most-in-a-mini competitions) and, naturally, sat down around me. Inspired by the inferior hooks thread, I set up in blindly traditional manner. I knew the rig would be ok for the tench, having caught up to 80 in a session with it, but what if a roach muscled in .....?

Az20.jpg

The tench here have been fished for a fair bit since April, and they don't come to heavy feed or balls of groundbait, as the dudes setting up around me would soon prove, and the water is densely weeded. So it was very light feeding, lots of abortive casts that hung up in the weed and such tiny fast bites that I'd say I hit one in 4. The fish were mostly of this stamp

Az21.jpg

And quite a few came in like this

Az22.JPG

I missed so many bites and re-baited so many times when the bait (6mm expanders soaked in water with Robin Red to give a reddish colour) dragged off in the weeds that it felt like the session was going less than well. But when I pulled the net out after 4.5 hrs there were more in it than I thought.
Az23.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
A change back to the tidal Trent (really!) friday last with an empty venue that gave me the pick of swim - - - well, almost, as rounding a bend I saw a car where two guys were sat.
Turns out they were maintaining the leccy cables near the river and there was a boat moored below them, presumably to rescue anyone who fell into the river.
So I moved downstream where a very low tide had exposed a shingle beach that I decided to try hoping to find a dropoff where some fish were feeding from.
No luck on that score but my simple feeder rid accounted for sone lovely chunky Dace, Chublets, and the odd lovely looking translucent roach up to 8oz or so and a single 3lb ish Barbel that was the last thing I wanted to catch.
A few hours later the tide turned at 2—30 pm forcing me to move further upstream to where I've had some big catches of Bream in the past, a move tbh that I did'nt want to make as I was enjoying myself with catching the Dace etx.
Kowing the place I'd moved to I expected Bream to show in minutes of starting and so it was where in the next two and a half hours I had a guestimated 40 to fifty lbs with a weighed best of 7—2— a big bream for for the area.
I was away for 5—30 pm but promised myself a return to the shingle. Beach with some decant float tackle next time I know there is a low enough tide, I want more of those Dace!

Attachments

• IMG_20220721_215210.jpg
    IMG_20220721_215210.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 33

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I thought 4.50 am was an early start yesterday at the local reservoir but four others were there before me. Pleasantly cool after the excessive heat,plenty of fish rolling etc. Set up two method feeder rods hoping ,as usual, for tench. Looked across the water to see an osprey searching for breakfast which was caught quickly, three cormorants appeared from somewhere for their onslaught.
Had a fast run and thought I was in to a tench but had a tug of war with a pike of about 8lb before it bit through the hooklength.
Looked up to see two ospreys patrolling over the reservoir, eventually perching in different trees on opposite sides of the water.
A run on the longer range rod revealed a bemused skimmer of around 4oz. Changing the baits, real and artificial, had no effect - no more bites.
The ospreys disappeared to be replaced by two red kites,also spotted a buzzard in the distance.
Chatting to a colleague,who had arrived before me ,was told a big catch of bream and tench came from the swim I was in on Friday - no wonder it was quiet.

mikench

Reaction score
Despite the soggy start we duly set up on the lake which gave us the best chance for tench. The location is very upmarket and the guy who lives behind the water has his own helicopter.

8DB284AA-692B-46A2-B966-E51DE84A59CB.jpeg

undaunted by the rain we began fishing and whilst I caught a nice tench early on it went very quiet on me. Gordon or Mr Metronome as he is known in these parts began catching from the off . It was mainly roach but with some Rudd and a few gudgeon . Thankfully the weather improved late morning.

58A34B69-BE34-475B-B33B-4A0D9DEFB727.jpeg

I caught another 4 tench like this.

35F54603-4C79-44C1-9F90-90EAC39E30E2.jpeg

The largest was just under 4 lb. I also managed a crucian and a few roach.

1E59EFC8-60C8-45B3-BE89-60D74E1C0167.jpeg

Gordon had a total of 39 fish but sadly no tench. It was a very enjoyable day despite the wet start but the weather failed to put the dampners on the day and we both thoroughly enjoyed it and there wasn’t a maggot in sight. Corn, meat and pellets prevailed. Gordon was on the float and I was on a bomb rod. Cheers Gordon and thank you for your company. Friday should be good.😉😀

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another early start at the local reservoir and managed three bream eventually, a colleague in the next swim had three male tench around 3lb each with two skimmers and two real bream.
However the morning was made by the two ospreys which turned up patrolling the water then disappearing only to reappear in a different area a few minutes later.A puzzle was why one osprey carrying a fish in its talons whistled continually for 25 minutes or more circling and swooping some 200ft up while the other osprey sat in tree top watching. Three buzzards circling , one above the other, over the far side and a red kite made a brief visit.