How did you get on?

seth49

Reaction score
Usual fishery yesterday on my own as the other two were busy with other things, it was a difficult sort of day, I missed a good few fish, just not hooking them properly, felt them and then they were off, did catch some but missed a lot as well, maybe the hook wasn’t going through the paste properly.

Did have a good day with the crucians, I had seven in total which is my best catch of them here, most caught in one day before was four, also had 8 tench, 4 small barbel, 2F1s, and 28 silvers mainly skimmers and roach, and 1carp of 11lbs 4ozs, on the sleeper rod.

The day was spoilt a bit with the wasps, must have been near a nest, they were a real nuisance going for the bait and my sandwiches, and distracting me when I had a bite, will leave that peg for a bit, so a funny sort of day, with both highs and lows, still it was mainly fine and quite warm so can’t complain, did enjoy the crucians as well.
2E767543-38DF-4E15-BC4E-86C7ADC479C7.jpeg

17E610B7-A5CB-44DD-91F9-03A1B2B4DEF8.jpeg

98FD960D-7D79-4EC0-8412-2D82AB70B5E3.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Your post reminded me about the wasps yesterday. We were plagued by the things and have never experienced this either at that venue or anywhere else. It’s seems too much of a coincidence that we should all have been fishing near a nest. I wonder if their activities earlier in the summer were curtailed by the drought and hot weather and they are now making up for last time. I must have killed at least 6.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I have one of those, could have done with it yesterday .
By the way it still holds a charge a bit after you let go of the button, as I painfully found out.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Arrived at the bigger reservoir around 6am this morning to find the weed growth had exploded since my last visit - stillcleared a bit with the spod rod and gripper sea lead and had instant bites on both rods, one from a roach of over a pound which was grabbed and severely damaged by a pike.
The other rod had a bream/roach hybrid of around 3lb on it. Continued to get bream and hybrids to about 4lb but the best fish was a female tench at 3lb 1oz , the first I have had from the water as the bream beat everything else to the bait.
Finished up with one roach (dec'd),4 hybrids twelve bream and the one tench.
Plenty of geese and green woodpeckers calling but no raptors as at my local reservoir.

john step

Reaction score
A couple of trips so far this week. The first was to get a few bends in the rod. Usual carpy stuff. Today I just fancied dusting down the Acy Ultra and Abu closed face coffee grinder.
Although the 40/50 fish I squeezed out today from a dour lake were to be honest tiny, I enjoyed the change.
The bites were finicky and had to be won.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
My late afternoon trip to the river wasn’t too bad really. I joined a small club a couple of years ago. They only have one stretch of the Eden, but it’s a nice looking bit of water and for a tenner per year membership it’s a bargain.

Some of the swims have a limited amount of headroom, so longer rods aren’t really an option. I plumbed for a short 8ft Darent Valley quiver rod and a 11ft Darent Valley .75lb tc rod for the float. I fished the car park swim to start and had a variety of; roach, rudd, gudgeon and some small chub the swim was quite shallow, about 3ft.
b14af1de30f9063065fe300a53628835.jpg

89fd3d891fb97ac4cb8d5685a43e3b7e.jpg

As I had a limited amount of time I moved downstream to a nice looking swim, where a pool containing a pumping station feeds in. I put in some mashed bread and had a few chub up to a pound or so. I really should have put a sliding float on, but time was winding down and I persevered fishing an 11ft deep swim with an 11ft rod and pin, which was far from ideal. After eventually tangling up I swopped to the quiver rod. As I was doing so a really decent chub cruised past just under the surface. I had a few more chub on the float before changing over to the quiver rod, so I cast a piece of Spam to where I was picking up most bites along with some freebies. I had a couple more smallish chub then the tip pulled around and I was well and truly Jerried, a slimey snotty of about three of four pounds. I unhooked it in the net, but nevertheless it slimed my shirt. How do they do that?

18b2173fabf8873238f3a987909ee62d.jpg

Anyway spare shirt in the boot and a beer in the local pub. Nearly nine quid for a pint, bag of nuts and some crisps. I feel like I’ve been mugged.

riverman

Reaction score
forgot to mention mondays outing on the wharfe.finished up with 1 barbel around the 4lb mark no chub but managed 5 grayling and countless dace and bleak on the stick.the barbel fell to luncheon meat on the leger whilst the grayling and silvers to maggot.tried legered bread for the chub but nothing.a fella a couple of pegs down pulled an 11lb 7oz barbel out on garlic cheese ball (will have to try that myself). :)

seth49

Reaction score
On the syndicate water yesterday, yesterday for a change, on my own again as mick is doing some work on his sons house, and Neil’s car is in the garage, not that I mind too much as I like the peace and quiet sometimes.

Anyway set up in my usual swim as I was first there, fishing worm on the pole for the tench, and also catching a couple of big F1s, two bream, and a selection of roach and perch.

The tench fishing was patchy, would catch a couple and then it would go quiet for a bit, like that most of the day, but it was a pleasant day overcast and mild with just the odd light shower, with no tench in the swim the perch would take over, and then the tench would take over again.

Now I’ve had my best year ever with the tench, never caught as many before, and when I started yesterday I needed to catch 13 more for my next target of 300, and I achieved that just after 5pm, so pleased with that, I’ve more than doubled last years catch, which is nice too, just after catching the one I was waiting for, the heavens opened and it got very wet, still I didn’t mind I’d achieved what I wanted so I was happy enough.
B3F88908-6F3D-450B-A9BF-E1D8F5B620F1.jpeg

8DDBE082-82DD-4A03-AAF2-0584AA9F62BC.jpeg

C2671F57-DFEC-4DC6-BBA6-3723D08C59A8.jpeg

61083EB8-AB3D-43C4-BDDA-E42AF1EAC925.jpeg

B1848032-6D1F-4961-921B-E638DFE09D53.jpeg

mikench

Reaction score
Gordon and I met up at a day ticket water on our club card and fished from the island on a snake lake.

FEA2FC7F-1906-458F-B496-99D630020DCD.jpeg

It was murky early on with frequent showers necessitating the use of brollies. Fishing was slow but as usual I was on the feeder and Gordon the float. Gordon caught over 20 assorted fish from common and mirror carp to 3lb or so and ide, Rudd , crucian and skimmers.

i had about 10 carp 4 were netters to 5lb but 6 were only 8oz or so but cute with it. I had one crucian.

C8A2D6EB-7FE4-4079-8D2F-7DA572B0BEBB.jpeg

I finished with 15 including a few Rudd on the maggot feeder. I must say I like my Map Parabolix bomb rod which is a delight to use. All in all an enjoyable day with a mixed bag of fish literally and metaphorically. We both enjoyed the variety and simple pleasures of catching fish, any fish.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Back on the local reservoir this morning getting a fin and scale perfect female tench at 2lb 13oz first cast. Lost another in the weed after having freed it initially from a different weedbed.
Kept getting lifts and knocks on the bobbins and even line being taken but striking into fresh air.
Assisted another member ,doing overnighters for carp, with weighing and photographing two fish a tiddler at 23+ and another at 41+ - worth the effort !
Had a real bream and a small roach before going home.
The osprey suddenly appeared from the far arm carrying a jack pike in its talons searching for a quiet place to eat its breakfast as it was being mobbed by crows and jackdaws.
Red kites and buzzards about as well as a few swallows and martens.
Has anyone else noticed that although buddleas are in full flower there aren't any butterflies on them ?

nottskev

Reaction score
I hadn't fished for barbel for more than a fortnight but it has been a lot cooler lately even if the river is still low, so I went this afternoon hoping to get a swim on one of the sections that are still flowing. My first, second, third and fourth choice swims were occupied, but a vacancy on a fast turbulent run past a big eddy looked attractive, so I went for that. Moving baits do better on hot afternoons but the water was a bit too wild for floatfishing so I set up with just a lead-wired hook of the eyed variety, attached with a palomar knot (there's probably a whistle emoji, but I'm not really an emoji person)

View attachment 22319

Rolling this down the crease got bites from the off

View attachment 22321

View attachment 22323

Nice fish, and a few more followed, but there are bigger ones in there, and I found out by a fluke where they were sitting. I remembered I needed to send a friend a text, so I dropped the baited hook under the rod end in 1' of slack water; safe enough, surely. Ten seconds later I had to drop the phone as this was pulling line off the drag and setting off into the far blue yonder

View attachment 22325

A nod's as good as a wink, and all that, so I stopped rolling/trotting my bait down the river and dropped it in close instead and fed a few 4 and 6mm pellets. This got a few more fish, all bigger than the ones I'd been catching earlier where the rapids met the tail end of the eddy

View attachment 22327

My previous barbel session had left me with elbow tendonitis, so I had one of those elbow support things on today. Even so, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and packed in with 2 1/2 hours of light remaining.