How did you get on?

john step

Reaction score
I had another go at my synd. res. today just to see if the fish were still in deep water.
Home bred red worm tipped with a plastic maggot for buoyancy on a bomb and the tip just kept going round. No monster perch (1lb 12 ozs the biggest) but a good jag jag jag from that depth.

Also had a tench and a mirror of about 6lb.
One of those days you remember for a long time.:)

mikench

Reaction score
After my success( all things are relative) yesterday I returned today despite the persistent drizzle! I actually got there about 8.30 and decided to set up on the grass and try out my brolly and set up rod rests in the grass rather than on my chair- much better and much more room! I resisted the temptation to cast to the island or to infinity and kept to the margins; a success for me on all fronts!

Anyway another 10 fish including a mirror at just over 10lbs and a common just under. In two days I have caught 20 fish and all with a £10 rod. The combined weight must be over 100lb!:) remember my elation is relative but real non the less. Brill day despite the weather.

Must get a better brolly and one which will shield me from the rain and wind!

flightliner

Reaction score
Busy morning but with an afternoon to spare and not wanting to waste it I hurriedly put the lure gear in the car and shot off for a snapper.
I did a bit of scouting on another water that turned out to be unsuitable so ended up as close to the M1 as a lure angler could, any mistake and I could hook up with a masserati , figuratively speaking of course but it was pretty close.
It was a pretty fruitless excercise, one pike coming out of nowhere into veiw only to stop an inch from my little S lure.
It just lay there for a few moments then just sidled off into the deeper water.
I stayed untill dusk but all to no avail.
Really nice to be out however so glad I made the effort as next week could be an angling famine!.

rubio

Reaction score
Quick trip to the Ouse again around Hemingfords area. Took just a whip with the intention of bagging a gudgeon or ten. Eventually managed to get a few. Very few in fact. Somehow I couldn't get through the roach and dace. I only fished at 2m dropping in 2/3 red maggots each cast. I must have had around 3lbs of fish in first hour! When they thinned out perch moved in. Or like as not when the perch turned up the others took off. I even had 2 perch near a pound which certainly put a strain on the whip. Water was gin clear and virtually still.

B

binka

Very out of sorts for me today on the river, I’m not sure if it was me or the river but I suspect a bit of both.

It’s still in need of a good flush and I took a gamble on thinking I knew where a few big perch were congregated in some deep water and I think they were there not least because I lost two in the same swim during the week whilst fishing dead maggot for silvers, one to a hook pull and the other smashing me up on the light hooklink as I tried to keep it from reaching the main flow.

A real pull over on the tip early on with a huge lobworm as bait was met with nothing and a similar but more developed bite a few minutes later ended the same way despite me giving the bite some slack to develop even further.

Could’ve been a pike, could’ve been me 4lb perch but we’ll never know.

It felt like a long day despite throwing the towel in mid-afternoon with just two perch for a combined 6oz to my name, I was ringing the rod against a lightening sky at dawn this morning and having missed the opportunity of a pint from Flighty at the book launch today my thoughts soon turned to the dozen I had lined up in the fridge at home.

Here’s to the next session, and a drop or two of extra water… :w

B

binka

my thoughts soon turned to the dozen I had lined up in the fridge at home.[/quote

Sabbatical over then Steve :)

It's my reward for losing over three stone in very short time, the only time I ever remember doing that before was when I had that hole in the end of me keepnet.

Alright then that was only three ounces but you get me drift :)

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Another day piking on the reservoir - had one at 10lb 12oz - first double of the winter followed eventually by 2 jacks,2lbish & 4lbish spinning - left rather quickly about 2pm to avoid the Hunt & all the traffic which follows them around.

robtherake

Reaction score
Spent a "relaxing" few hours at the roach pool. Last time I was here the big roach were rolling all over the place. Today there was little fish activity but plenty of human activity as a work party got on with some renovation. It was warm, though, so I fished the sunny bank on the end of a light breeze, thinking it may come on later. The fallen leaves made fishing tricky, but not as tricky as the ducks did. My worm bait had accounted for a few roach and perch, but got hung up momentarily on a leaf. The mallard drake which had been picking off the odd floating caster was on it like a flash and suddenly I was playing a duck. I bagged and released it safely in a couple of minutes but it totally trashed the swim that I'd spent two hours building up. :(

The breeze had cleared a narrow lane diagonally opposite and the odd fish could be seen topping, so ten minutes later I was installed on the other bank. I reckoned on catching up in the water when the roach came on, but they never did and bites from the smaller fish were as finicky as you like. Fun, though.:)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
My worm bait had accounted for a few roach and perch, but got hung up momentarily on a leaf. The mallard drake which had been picking off the odd floating caster was on it like a flash and suddenly I was playing a duck. I bagged and released it safely in a couple of minutes but it totally trashed the swim that I'd spent two hours building up. :(

Floating caster?
Catch a Drake!

you know what comes next innit?:eek:mg:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
The mallard drake which had been picking off the odd floating caster was on it like a flash and suddenly I was playing a duck. I bagged and released it safely in a couple of minutes but it totally trashed the swim that I'd spent two hours building up.(

Was it a PB?

edsurf

Reaction score
14572172_10210520379436041_7978552005889996590_n_1_.jpg

View image in gallery

Had a day as a guest on a private fishery in middle of the New forest today , had it all to my self, had roach, perch, Tench and some carp that fought like stink biggest went 10,3 was knackerd at the end of the day but good fun.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Local canal for me for an afternoon session .

Think i may have absolutely blitzed the Perch challenge ( for the smallest perch that is) fishing single red maggot on a 20 hook this perch could not even get the maggot in it's gob but would it let go heck as like .

Had a couple of roach as well but nothing worthy of note hope for better times tomorrow .

PG ...

B

binka

fishing single red maggot on a 20 hook this perch could not even get the maggot in it's gob but would it let go heck as like .

Greedy little git, I took one a few weeks ago on a livebait that was single hooked through the tail.

The hook wasn't even in the bigger perch's mouth but it had gorged itself solid on the smaller fish which it couldn't even swallow :D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A frustrating session on Friday with only hemp (again) doing the business, but even this was fraught with more missed bites than I like to think about. I had short periods of the float sinking slowly out of sight and all the time in the world to connect, only to be followed by longer periods of super fast bites that were missed.
As is usual for this particular lake it was a case of chasing fish in various parts of the swim so I spent a lot of the time swivelling around 120 degrees on my butt to find them. Single red maggot may well have produced a lot of roach had I been able to keep the bait away from the seemingly endless numbers of small perch. I thought I had in sorted when one or two roach were landed, but no sooner had this happened than I was again landing several 3" perch one after another!
Tares failed to produce any interest and flake much the same so 'change' baits not easy to come by as the water cools and this was borne out by another angler who was fishing corn and meat, but without a touch of any kind after 3 hours.
I'm still catching and grateful to be doing so, but I'm having to work harder for my fish with maximum effort and concentration causing the 6 hour session in dry, mild conditions to fly by, but I still have this nagging feeling I should be doing better in this sort of weather.

Anyway, I was happy enough to head off home to watch a rugby union match accompanied by a large baked apple stuffed with fruit that my wife had made that morning. She had gone off to find half a dozen large freebie apples close by and cooked them within the hour. Absolutely delicious!!

I'm going again tomorrow morning (and for the next few days) to make the most of the lighter mornings, although I note the thermometer is heading downward from around mid week so the thermals and extra flask may have to make another appearance!!

Little perch? Who needs 'em..........................................................

lambert1

Reaction score
Managed to get out for an afternoon session yesterday with a bait box full of worms from the compost bin, as it was somewhat spur of the moment. This has been a season to forget for me for what I will euphemistically refer to as "domestic issues", which have left precious little time for fishing. The light levels were very low all day and this really seemed to help. First cast produced a nice Roach. The swim then went quiet as two Jack Pike decided to pay me a visit. They even seemed to come over to have a look at me:D After that it was four Perch and a Gudgeon. Thankfully my disgorger is white as I felt like a Dentist having to work in a power cut. I think it would be safe to say the Perch were hungry! I used a drilled bullet rolling the bait across the bottom, which produced very quick takes (some of which I missed!) and was great fun. I think some bites were Crayfish as the worms came back up neatly chopped. I forgot that there was a firework display nearby and had to leave early before I got well and truly boxed in by eager families. Lovely day and very therapeutic!

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Bit late posting but had an afternoon on Trent at Farndon on Thursday - second trip this year to Trent and second complete blank. I started with stick float trotting for 3 hours and not even a knock. Then I rigged feeder up and did 3 hours with that for nothing. Tried everything in my armory at the time but a thoroughly frustrating day. All I can do is keep trying I'm sure there's fish in it lol