HOW OFTEN DO YOU DO IT ?

silvers

Reaction score
I fish between 20 and 35 matches a year ... other than that I go up to a dozen evenings in the summer.
my wife thinks that it’s too much, can someone help me explain that it’s not really? ;)
i get bored pretty quickly if it isn’t a match situation, unless I’ve set myself a new technique to learn.

rayner

Reaction score
I fish between 20 and 35 matches a year ... other than that I go up to a dozen evenings in the summer.
my wife thinks that it’s too much, can someone help me explain that it’s not really? ;)
i get bored pretty quickly if it isn’t a match situation, unless I’ve set myself a new technique to learn.

Nope do your own explaining. We all have our issues at home, the particular bugbear from my wife is the amount of tackle I still have after it has been thinned out very close to extreme. It's a cross we have to bear.

Reaction score
I reckon angling rod licence sales must have gone through the roof,with more anglers about than I can remember for years,with tbe second lockdown in place I wonder how far you are allowed to travel to fish,I haven't seen any stipulated distances,people are driving long distances to fish some of the club venues I fish,my season has been very pleasant,with plenty of fish gracing my landing net,going to a lake Saturday all being well to fish for good roach on the waggler...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I reckon angling rod licence sales must have gone through the roof,with more anglers about than I can remember for years,with tbe second lockdown in place I wonder how far you are allowed to travel to fish,I haven't seen any stipulated distances,people are driving long distances to fish some of the club venues I fish,my season has been very pleasant,with plenty of fish gracing my landing net,going to a lake Saturday all being well to fish for good roach on the waggler...

I don’t see a problem. You aren’t going to catch the virus of pass it on sitting in your own car, so why should it matter? If you were going in shops outside of your area or mixing with others then that may spread it, but if you drive somewhere, fish and then return where’s the harm? It’s not like you’re driving to Baynard Castle to check your eyesight, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Probably not Ray,but I seem to recall at the beginning of the second lockdown a stipulation being made,so what we think has little bearing as the AT and clubs make the regs,as club book sales have gone through the roof,surely limited numbers are considered,i've already heard of some fishing restrictions coming into place shortly...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Probably not Ray,but I seem to recall at the beginning of the second lockdown a stipulation being made,so what we think has little bearing as the AT and clubs make the regs,as club book sales have gone through the roof,surely limited numbers are considered,i've already heard of some fishing restrictions coming into place shortly...

Yes you are right mate. I’ve been looking at many local clubs to get a few new waters for lure fishing and most have closed their books. I was lucky to get my foot in the door with the club I’ve just joined for a tenner.

My main club closed its books a good while back but the effect of the lockdown has meant more existing members have been going and that has caused mor overcrowding than I am willing to endure. That’s why I have been travelling further afield. I thought it was now permissible to travel for exercise and I don’t recall a milage limit.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought it was now permissible to travel for exercise and I don’t recall a milage limit.

It is permissible to travel. However, some information sources have been adding a "locally" caveat. I've recently heard a couple of anecdotes about police checking vehicle registrations at angling parking spots. There has been no definition of what locally might mean.

I've been limiting myself to the first bits of river I can get to, in any direction, that I can legally fish. As yet, I've not gone further than four miles. I have to go further to get to my closest supermarket. I'm fairly confident that I'm doing nothing wrong.

Reaction score

I'm so lucky,the missus never has minded about me going fishing(I did say that she would never change my wanting to go,only I will decide that),she knows i'm as stubborn as a mule and go when I shouldn't sometimes,in pain,feeling rough etc,she still knows better than to moan,just the odd jibe,lol...god bless her...

chevin4

Reaction score
Although I am semi retired and only work one day a week I normally only fish once a week the big advantage compared to when I was working full time is that I can pick my day. I remember when I booked a days holiday for going fishing it had to be booked several days ahead and often the conditions would change and it would sometimes be a struggle.

Philip

Reaction score
As yet, I've not gone further than four miles. I have to go further to get to my closest supermarket. I'm fairly confident that I'm doing nothing wrong.

Unfortunatly unless they nail down the rules from every possible angle I suspect someone somewhere will always consider it wrong regardless of what you do.

...then again I am probably just jealous as were I am its very clearly stated I have to stay with a 1km radius of my home address so no angling for me. In additon just in case I had a pond within the 1km radius the national angling body sent out an email to all license holders within a day or two of lockdown clarifying angling was not considered as a permitted excercise.

Never ceases to amaze me how quick & efficient communication can be when it wants to be !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Unfortunatly unless they nail down the rules from every possible angle I suspect someone somewhere will always consider it wrong regardless of what you do.

As long as those that consider me to be doing wrong don't include the police and powers that be, I couldn't care less.

As I said earlier. I know that the local police have been checking car details in roadside angling parking spots. I'm pretty sure that mine was checked when parked. When I have to travel further to the closest supermarket than I do to fish, I believe that they'd struggle to argue that I'm not staying local. There are undoubtedly plenty of anglers travelling significantly further than the sub-four miles I've gone.

steve2

Reaction score
My nearest club water is 30 miles away, too far at the moment even if I wanted to go. The only reason I joined clubs this year was so I didn't lose my membership. With a block on new members joining I might not have been able rejoin next year.

rayner

Reaction score
For years I've joined with others saying we need new blood in angling if nothing else to generate more custom for shops so we can keep our supplies of bait. Now with the explosion of extra anglers, we have returned to the seventies and eighties when it was difficult to find room unless you booked on to matches. Even with the extra waters to fish, we're swamped with too many anglers.
The only anglers with any space are river or reservoirs anglers. Why don't these new anglers fish there instead of ruining commercials? ? ;)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
For years I've joined with others saying we need new blood in angling if nothing else to generate more custom for shops so we can keep our supplies of bait. Now with the explosion of extra anglers, we have returned to the seventies and eighties when it was difficult to find room unless you booked on to matches. Even with the extra waters to fish, we're swamped with too many anglers.
The only anglers with any space are river or reservoirs anglers. Why don't these new anglers fish there instead of ruining commercials? ;)

Newbies like the easier fishing and facilities that commercials provide. It’s not a bad way to start. Not my thing but I take my grandchildren to one and they love it.

Reaction score
Some rivers are being fished hard,if I lived a little nearer to Oxford the Thames would be my choice,maybe wouldn't catch loads at this time of year onwards,but lovely fishing none the less...

mikench

Reaction score
I have several waters within a 5 mile radius on one card. I have several more within a 15 mile radius on 2 others which Gordon is a member of. Plod will never know which card I'm using save for the one I'll show him if asked. In fairness to the guidelines I have dozens around 30 to 40 miles away but they are too far in the circumstances and shorter days .

If asked I'm testing my eyesight.

Reaction score
You could say you were going to a day ticket water anyway...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Some rivers are being fished hard,if I lived a little nearer to Oxford the Thames would be my choice,maybe wouldn't catch loads at this time of year onwards,but lovely fishing none the less...
Some parts of the Thames seem to be fine, other parts are rushing through.
Then you have the smaller rivers like the windrush and Cherwell that are dark brown and rushing through when they are not over the banks,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have several waters within a 5 mile radius on one card. I have several more within a 15 mile radius on 2 others which Gordon is a member of. Plod will never know which card I'm using save for the one I'll show him if asked. In fairness to the guidelines I have dozens around 30 to 40 miles away but they are too far in the circumstances and shorter days .

If asked I'm testing my eyesight.
Mike you would be ok, I did a 300 mile round trip in last lockdown to fish a club water and then another trip to a commercial.
Ironically I had eye appt letter for warrington hospital also with being a club bailiff at the time ,Cheshire police had given permission for waters to be checked and bailiffed,
I know it would be stretching the "rules" a bit but I never got stopped.