I hate the Trent

cg74

Reaction score
Of course I'm stirring the ****. Remember what King Charles II said:

"The more you stir a turd the worse it stinks!"

Yet there are quite a few of us fishing the Trent who are still challenged by the river. For a start, at the age of 70, I am challenged by the banks in parts.

And this year and for I hope at least 3 days next week I will be challenged by the bream, perch and roach. ****** the barbel. I have caught more of the damn things than I ever deserve, not only their African cousins, but barbel from 13 different English rivers too.

And you don't need to chuck out bloody great feeders over halfway across the river to catch Trent barbel. A simple link leger with a PVA stick attached, lobbed virtually under your bank on the outside of a bend will catch barbel.

Your opening line speaks volumes about you.... A miserable old git!

Hate to state the obvious but South African 'barbel' are actually catfish, that only reach about 50lbs in weight, and so I'm lead to believe, they don't fight any harder than wels catfish which is a perfectly targetable species here in England, plus wels attain much higher weights.

You've only caught barbel from 13 rivers, I trust they're all indigenous rivers?

Barbel liking the outsides of bends is hardly the biggest secret in angling.

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner
Today its pretty easy for anyone to catch some if they use a heavy feeder, its effective but its not called the pig for nothing-- which is why these days I seldom use it, much preffering the float

I beg to differ a little. There are times when chucking dirty great feeders simply doesn't work (been there, done that). There are plenty that don't acknowledge that. I recall making the two biggest catches I mentioned in summer 2011. I also recall reading folks on forums moaning that the river was fishing very badly, their experience differing quite a bit from mine. However, I very much doubt that any of those complaining were fishing trotted maggots over hemp. [/quote

Maybe-- "For the majority its easier" then, as most I suspect find it simpler to choose the heavy gear -- float fishing is hard work as you well describe ,you ,like me fish for a relatively short period and go home rather tired after honking out lots of barbel on float gear.
Last year, as in several years past, again like you I used the float almost the whole season and for much of it the river was low and very clear and the feeder men were struggling (dont know if they did at night) but anyone using float gear were taking the river apart.

godsdice

Reaction score
I'm having a great season on the Trent, and it was easy for the first couple of months with all the extra water and colour, fishing 2 rods with large feeders at all times. However now it's changed and the river is low and clear but i have still done well changing my approach. I believe in a low clear river in daylight hours that barbel get too much time to 'inspect' a static bait and most will avoid it, so i have been fishing the float be it stick, avon or waggler and getting good returns in daylight hours then switching to 2 static rods in the hours of darkness.

dezza

Reaction score
Hate to state the obvious but South African 'barbel' are actually catfish, that only reach about 50lbs in weight, and so I'm lead to believe, they don't fight any harder than wels catfish which is a perfectly targetable species here in England, plus wels attain much higher weights.

And I've caught plenty of those too. But the species I refer to is the Labeobarbus spp, or as they are commony termed, the yellowfish which inhabit the Orange/Vaal system. Another type inhabits the Olifants sytem in the Western Cape. All have similarities to the British barbel and a few look like Barbus tor the Indian Mahseer.

But if you want to catch the most impressive of all the freshwater barbus species, travel to the Tigris or Euphrates Rivers in Iraq where you will get the chance of landing the magnificent Mangar which is even prettier than the Mahseer. They can reach weight of over 100 lbs

If you want to see what a South African Yellowfish look like, I have an article on them in the March issue of "Coarse Angling Today", entitled "Gold of Another Kind".

dezza

Reaction score
A few things I want to say about the Trent.

I find it almost impossible to comprehend that there may be those who will deprecate this marvellous river now that it is giving excellent fishing to any who wants to learn it's secrets.

I am old enough to remember when the Trent was horribly polluted, when you knew you were getting near the Trent because of the smell. But a few of us stuck with it.

I didn't have much experience of the Trent when it was artificially warmed by the power stations and you could get an 8 oz roach a chuck because I was far away at the time. But I guess it was a matchman's dream, not so much my dream. But now the Trent is as near as it's possible to get to a natural English river. OK there are zander and maybe the odd catfish in it, which is a shame. But there are also some rather large pike.

But today The Trent is a great mixed fishery, it's even got a salmon run they tell me. In some areas there is great roach fishing. In others the chub fishing is superlative, my friend Lee has had a few big ones of late. And my friend Archie catches perch over 3 lbs regularly, even I get a few too.

And where would I go to get a 12 oz dace or a 10 lb river bream - well within a short drive of where I live?

The barbel are of course the river's predominant species. These days you can sit in most spots and average 5 to 6 fish from 4 lbs to 11 lbs in a short session. In a year you can easily catch 100 barbel, and you don't have to possess extraordinary skills to do so. In a typical 1 mile stretch of the Trent there are arguably more barbel than in all the rivers in the rest of England.

But is this bad?

To hear some talk, it's not proper barbel fishing. To hear some talk, barbel fishing is only proper when you are fishing for 3 fish in a Southern ditch, fish that were not even native to the water. Remember that other than the Thames and Kennet, barbel are not native to all the other southern rivers.

But the Trent is the barbel's true home. In the 1850s through to the early 1900s, barbel fishing on the Trent was conducted on a lavish scale. Swims were baited with thousands of lobworms and enormous numbers of barbel were slain, that's right - slaughtered, every weekend, right down as far as Gainsborough. It was nothing for a pair of anglers, the angler proper, and his "man", to get 150 barbel over two days. The fish were laid out in the yards of the various inns along the river and given to anyone who wanted them.

It's possible that the numbers of barbel are now similar to what they were in the Victorian period.

But why must we run down quality fishing like this. Must we wish that the river returned to the 70s and 80s when it was an almost barbel-less bacteriological artificially warmed soup that stinks of raw sewage?

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Jason, Jason, Jason, no need for google, I use a better search engine than google will ever be - a mind full of useless sheeeite, I thought you'd have known that.

Besides I find it insipid the way that Ron only ever answers one point made within a post and glides past anything uncomfortable.

Like my question regards his catching barbel from 13 rivers.....

dezza

Reaction score
Like my question regards his catching barbel from 13 rivers.....

Wharfe
Swale
Derwent (Yorks)
Ouse (Yorks)
Nidd
Don
Rother
Dearne
Severn
Kennet
Windrush
Trent
Idle
Dove
Ribble

Whoops I think that's 15

Sorry

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Oh it's 16, I can add the Ure to that

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

Sorry I am really lying.

I have caught several barbel from the Royalty on the Hampshire Avon in the 60s, and a 9 pounder from the Dorset Stour (Throop) also in the 60s

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

I have caught several barbel from the Royalty on the Hampshire Avon in the 60s, and a 9 pounder from the Dorset Stour (Throop) also in the 60s

That's 18 innit!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Wharfe
Swale
Derwent (Yorks)
Ouse (Yorks)
Nidd
Don
Rother
Dearne
Severn
Kennet
Windrush
Trent
Idle
Dove
Ribble

Whoops I think that's 15

Sorry

Sorry I am really lying.

That's 18 innit!

So, in answer to the question (regardless of whether it's 13, 15, 16 or 18 different rivers), no, not all rivers in which barbel are indigenous.

cg74

Reaction score
Wharfe
Swale
Derwent (Yorks)
Ouse (Yorks)
Nidd
Don
Rother
Dearne
Severn
Kennet
Windrush
Trent
Idle
Dove
Ribble

Whoops I think that's 15

Sorry

Sorry I am really lying.

That's 18 innit!

See that wasn't so hard; even though you haven't quite answered the original question: "You've only caught barbel from 13 rivers, I trust they're all indigenous rivers?"
Though with my mind full of sheeeite, I can fill in the gaps as to which rivers barbel are indigenous too or not.

Would this be a good time to ask the Angling Trust question - nah, best not over do it.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ron,

I'm not sure where anyone is knocking the Trent.

The OP was obviously being ironic and all the subsequent posters have said is that the fishing is great but can be a little easy. Human nature being what it is we all strive for new challenges and sometimes if something is too easy it does not satisfy the natural thirst for the chase which all hunters posses.

Having said that and judging by the popularity of the bite a chuck commercial pools I could be completely wrong.

Ps, my current favourite challenge is the Dove, which as an eastern flowing river and a tributary of the Trent also holds a natural head of barbel.

dezza

Reaction score
The OP was obviously being ironic and all the subsequent posters have said is that the fishing is great but can be a little easy

OK if you want a challenge on the Trent, go out in 3 visits and try and catch.

a 3 lb perch
a 12 oz dace
a 5 lb chub
a 1 1/2 lb roach

And I must add another river to my list.

Around September 1998, I caught an 8 pounder from the Warwickshire Avon near a place called Evesham.

Silly me, I think that makes 19!

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Would this be a good time to ask the Angling Trust question - nah, best not over do it.

If this is a question on how much I give to the ATr, then my best answer is:

"Mind your own business"!

I would NEVER ask anyone how much they give to any charity. Doing so is immoral

And so is telling others how much you give - well other than the department of inland revenue.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK if you want a challenge on the Trent, go out in 3 visits and try and catch.

a 3 lb perch
a 12 oz dace
a 5 lb chub
a 1 1/2 lb roach

Ron you can set those targets all day but it don't mean nothing. As a bloke with 19 rivers under your belt surely you can see that when you've done it you've done it and it's time to move on. The Trent will always hold a special place for me as it did give me some of the best fishing I have ever enjoyed but it's time for new challenges on different waters a little closer to home.

As an aside I have actually managed three out of your four challenges twice and in one visit. And I've done it from two rivers, the Trent and the Severn, and could probably have done all four if I ever fished for perch, however I'm not much of a pred head so all my perch captures are accidental and on the small side.

I've just thought of a third river where I've also had big chub, dace and roach and that's the Wye.