Inflatable fishing boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What life jacket will you be choosing, a pair of these maybe?

Krang

Reaction score
What life jacket will you be choosing, a pair of these maybe?

That would probably be more fitting considering that the area I most often fish is frequented by young teenage swimmers.

Do you reckon I should maybe get some flairs and emergency rations too?

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I was in two minds whether to reply as it sounds like you just want an argument but for what its worth I have both an inflatable and a Kayak & I would say that the one you’re looking at is more a messing around or occasional use boat. I would look at it more as a means of short transport rather than a fishing base for any extended period. I would be happy to use it for say baiting up or boating across to say an island etc rather than fish from it all day. I would not want to take it out into a Thames current.

The better quality ones are “better” as they are thicker rubber and quality seals. It is not rocket science. The trade off is weight. The one I have is similar to a Zodiac Yacht tender type and packs down to (just) about transportable size but still weighs over 35kg with everything stripped off it. Start adding the seat, oars and everything else and you are looking at 50kg. The upside is that it is very sturdy & I drag it across all sorts to launch and land it and have yet to have a puncture. I can also safely couple it with a small petrol outboard. With that, I can happily chug up and down the river all day and fish from it but I still only take it out in good conditions.

About Kayaks, one thing I would say is that although I can see the appeal in inflatable Kayaks the problem is that even blown up super hard there is still flex in it. I recall watching a guy trying to paddle upriver in one once in a moderate current and you could see it was just not rigid enough the result being he was wasting allot of effort, it just didn’t slide as well as a rigid one through the water. It put me off them a bit so I ended up getting a small-ridged one in plastic although obviously you then need a means to transport it. I stick mine on a roof rack, which I can manage easily alone.

Problems aside having a boat is allot of fun and they opened up a completely new avenue to my fishing. If cost is an issue maybe consider a better quality one second hand.

Krang

Reaction score
I was in two minds whether to reply as it sounds like you just want an argument but for what its worth I have both an inflatable and a Kayak & I would say that the one you’re looking at is more a messing around or occasional use boat. I would look at it more as a means of short transport rather than a fishing base for any extended period. I would be happy to use it for say baiting up or boating across to say an island etc rather than fish from it all day. I would not want to take it out into a Thames current.

The better quality ones are “better” as they are thicker rubber and quality seals. It is not rocket science. The trade off is weight. The one I have is similar to a Zodiac Yacht tender type and packs down to (just) about transportable size but still weighs over 35kg with everything stripped off it. Start adding the seat, oars and everything else and you are looking at 50kg. The upside is that it is very sturdy & I drag it across all sorts to launch and land it and have yet to have a puncture. I can also safely couple it with a small petrol outboard. With that, I can happily chug up and down the river all day and fish from it but I still only take it out in good conditions.

About Kayaks, one thing I would say is that although I can see the appeal in inflatable Kayaks the problem is that even blown up super hard there is still flex in it. I recall watching a guy trying to paddle upriver in one once in a moderate current and you could see it was just not rigid enough the result being he was wasting allot of effort, it just didn’t slide as well as a rigid one through the water. It put me off them a bit so I ended up getting a small-ridged one in plastic although obviously you then need a means to transport it. I stick mine on a roof rack, which I can manage easily alone.

Problems aside having a boat is allot of fun and they opened up a completely new avenue to my fishing. If cost is an issue maybe consider a better quality one second hand.

Weight is an issue for me because I'd have to carry it a reasonable distance with my other gear. This boat fits into a large rucksack and has space for two people. Or, me and all my gear. With a kayak I wouldnt have enough space so would have to leave stuff on the bank.

The Thames north and west of oxford doesn't have very dangerous currents. People swim in it all the time, mostly at port meadow but I've also seen swimmers along the westerly stretch before it heads south to farmoor. I'm guessing you're thinking of further down the Thames. I'm a strong enough swimmer to manage the sections I'll be heading to with or without a boat.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
You posted about an inflatable boat and requested views and opinions which is what you have received . Take on board the advice or ignore as you wish, i couldn't care less and will not be making further comment.

Krang

Reaction score
You posted about an inflatable boat and requested views and opinions which is what you have received . Take on board the advice or ignore as you wish, i couldn't care less and will not be making further comment.

OK I'll take advice on board and get some armbands, an Anne summers doll and a couple of £900 kayaks for spare. Cheers.

The only other one I might get is the intex challenger kayak. Its about £60. But then I wouldnt have space for gear.

Last edited:

Krang

Reaction score
Seahawk 2 withstands repeatedly hitting jagged rocks in this vid.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
How about this for an inflatable canoe?

YouTube

With a 6hp outboard it has a turn of speed that has helped me explore miles of river. In the summer with little flow I use a low power electric motor.

My wife launching the Spearfish on our first outing, then with a barbel she caught.

Spearfish Christened 2018.jpg

IMG_20180717_110854819_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Not a cheap outfit, but safe and capable of inshore sea work. Great fun!

Krang

Reaction score
How about this for an inflatable canoe?

YouTube

With a 6hp outboard it has a turn of speed that has helped me explore miles of river. In the summer with little flow I use a low power electric motor.

My wife launching the Spearfish on our first outing, then with a barbel she caught.

View attachment 8786

View attachment 8787

Not a cheap outfit, but safe and capable of inshore sea work. Great fun!

That looks awesome. I'd love to get something like that in future and explore some inaccessible caves and coves around the coastline. As a kid I visited flamborough on the east coast a lot and could see from the clifftop that there were many little coves with beaches that could be reached by boat.

Krang

Reaction score
This thread has certainly made me realise the inherent danger in fishing from a craft costing less than £500. Its very serious. I have ordered a life jacket and some flairs. Also a radio. I'd worry that the 13 year old swimmers that frequent port meadow might think my puncture stricken life jacket clad figure slightly strange for frantically setting off flairs whilst screaming "MAYDAY MAYDAY" into my radio. But its safety first. One has to take these things seriously and be sensible.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Its very serious. I have ordered a life jacket and some flairs.

Just be careful stepping in your inflatable, they move like lightning if your not careful. And make sure you pump it up properly, they rarely are and can fold or bend easily, a bit like stepping on a wet sponge. Learn to move slowly in a boat, no sudden movements or standing up like when you have just impaled a big perch or something. Make sure you understand about wind and currents even on an innocuous bit of water, don't be deceived by appearances or just because people swim there. Rowing against a strong wind in an inflatable, the wind will probably beat you and blow you into somewhere you don't want like a load of brambles or over a weir or something. An inflatable is not like an ordinary boat, they sit on rather then in the water and are very light, in themselves they are like a big sail. Combine that by wandering into a strong current and it could be a disaster. Rowing against a strong current is very difficult as it is in an ordinary boat. You ever done that, you will be surprised how quick your strength will evaporate.
I know you already worked all that out yourself and don't want to listen to anyone because your smarter than anyone on here, but no harm in reminding you; be a tragedy to lose you....
Your good to go now, good luck, watch those Perch and your big trebles puncturing your boat.
Apart from that, just one more thing- make those flairs a bright yellow or red and you can take them off and wave them if you get into trouble; you might struggle getting them to light.

Last edited:

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Apart from needing to be very aware of the risks involved with inflatables, they have great advantages for the travelling angler.

Some inflatables can be fitted into a backpack, most can be carried in a car boot. Often an inflatable is the only answer when you have to carry a boat on your own.

Make sure any inflatable you use has more than one air compartment. My Spearfish has five, not counting the "frame" of the little bow splash cover. Even with a couple of those ripped the rest will support you and your kit. Safer than most watercraft in that respect.

Have to agree with the negativity about rowing in a breeze, been caught out with a broken outboard myself. Neither paddles nor oars will make headway against a stiff breeze in an inflatable!

Try to have a "plan B" for getting home if your motor breaks down or the weather changes (weather! you will learn about that with any small boat!). Make sure the wind, tide, current is not pushing you towards danger. Always check the map and plan exit points other than where you launch. Then when things go wrong (eventually, they will!) you have a landing spot and route home. Might be a walk, but you are safe and can collect the boat later!

A life jacket is your best friend! I have only fallen in once over many years, but that was during a very cold Febuary and the lifejacket helped me stay alive and retrieve the canoe. All the negativity about inflatables? I HATE canoes and kayaks! :eek:mg:

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It must be safe, kids swim in the Thames, even though it’s against the law.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes, but swimming is a lot different to being in an inflatable. The world looks very different when your out on the water all on your own and all your in is a flimsy inflatable like our friend is using. Your fully clothed and a lot further probably from safety. The water is cold and your not acclimatized to it. Rowing is never as simple or easy as most people think; it can drain all your strength very quickly and currents/wind strength/direction are just as big an issue, more in fact especially in an inflatable. And an inner chamber is not such a big deal although he thinks it is, try maneuvering a half inflated floppy saggy inflatable about! He has argued that he knows it all from a watching a video and the fact he is very bright and we are all a bunch of dumbos many times over in just about everything.
But he has not realized the half of it. Has he thought of probably the most important item of all, in fact I had forgotten myself but I am sure he would have thought of it so no need to tell him. He has consistently refuted everything I and most people have told him and never thanked anyone for some good free and valuable advice.
I am not trying to put him off, I get it, it looks great and is but, he asked for opinions and as long as he understands what he is doing go ahead.
There is danger in anything we do and it should not stop anyone having a go; I have just wanted him to realize that there is more to it than watching a video or watching swimmers; he is life and apart from that he still might lend me a few of his Krugerrand; I have a vested interest in keeping him alive:)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My comment was meant to be a sarcastic one.:)

Krang

Reaction score
This is the area I most often visit.

Port Meadow - Thryve

Its not about me thinking I'm cleverer than everyone else. I say the area I'll head to is safe because it actually really is. The north westerly stretch is quite safe too I think. I wouldn't get into a situation I couldn't confidently swim my way out of. That seems to me to be basic common sense.

As for a life jacket, I've never actually worn one so don't really know what its like. Does having all that buoyancy not make a horizontal swimming position more difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.