Inflatable fishing boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I dont know if it has been mentioned, the majority of angling clubs do not allow fishing from boats whether its rivers, canals or pools,
And I would also check EA byelaws or council Byelaws if it is allowed on free stretches of water. Also liability insurance may be needed.

Krang

Reaction score
BTW, on the topic of port meadow.. Does anyone know why the Thames boat speed limit doesn't seem to apply to those rowing clubs the frequently speed up and down yelling into megaphones?

The non-tidal river, above Teddington Lock, has a speed limit of 8 kilometres per hour (that's about 5 mph or a bit over 4 knots). This part of the river is managed by the Evironment Agency, and a licence is required. See their web site or call 0118 953 5650 for more information.

What's the speed limit on the Thames and where can I launch? - RIBnet Forums

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
BTW, on the topic of port meadow.. Does anyone know why the Thames boat speed limit doesn't seem to apply to those rowing clubs the frequently speed up and down yelling into megaphones?

It is 'supposedly' a safety boat but the privilege is abused. We had similar problems with a 'safety' boat on the Stour where Canfiord School row. We forced them to only use it in an emergency and now they coach from the towpath using bikes to keep up.

I would definitely check with each riparian owner/club about fishing from boats. There is no 'free' fishing on the Thames above Staines although many fish from moored cabin cruisers thinking it's OK.

Krang

Reaction score
It is 'supposedly' a safety boat but the privilege is abused. We had similar problems with a 'safety' boat on the Stour where Canfiord School row. We forced them to only use it in an emergency and now they coach from the towpath using bikes to keep up.

I would definitely check with each riparian owner/club about fishing from boats. There is no 'free' fishing on the Thames above Staines although many fish from moored cabin cruisers thinking it's OK.

People always say that port meadow is free fishing. The odaa denies this and says you need their permit. But they also say that about hinksey lake inspite of the fact that the oxford council website specifically says it is free fishing.

Thanks for the info on the "safety boat" situation. Might be worth trying to get something done about that. The amount of wash they create is ridiculous and obviously damages the banks.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
People always say that port meadow is free fishing. The odaa denies this and says you need their permit. But they also say that about hinksey lake inspite of the fact that the oxford council website specifically says it is free fishing.

Thanks for the info on the "safety boat" situation. Might be worth trying to get something done about that. The amount of wash they create is ridiculous and obviously damages the banks.

One of my uncles was an Oxford City Councillor and he gave me a book that cover the council acts including fishing rights at Oxford which date back many centuries. ALL fishing rights in the waters (it doesn't matter which bank) from Godstow Lock and the Toll Bridge down to below the bypass at Iffley belong to the Freemen of the City of Oxford (there are about 150 freemen) who use ODAA to manage those rights so no free fishing rights on Port Meadow. If it came to a court case ODAA would win backed by the Sheriff of Oxford who also controls the grazing rights on Port Meadow. Hinksey Lake is a different case altogether and might be owned by the City Council.

Krang

Reaction score
One of my uncles was an Oxford City Councillor and he gave me a book that cover the council acts including fishing rights at Oxford which date back many centuries. ALL fishing rights in the waters (it doesn't matter which bank) from Godstow Lock and the Toll Bridge down to below the bypass at Iffley belong to the Freemen of the City of Oxford (there are about 150 freemen) who use ODAA to manage those rights so no free fishing rights on Port Meadow. If it came to a court case ODAA would win backed by the Sheriff of Oxford who also controls the grazing rights on Port Meadow. Hinksey Lake is a different case altogether and might be owned by the City Council.

You have evidence of any of this?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
This is the area I most often visit.

Port Meadow - Thryve

Its not about me thinking I'm cleverer than everyone else. I say the area I'll head to is safe because it actually really is. The north westerly stretch is quite safe too I think. I wouldn't get into a situation I couldn't confidently swim my way out of. That seems to me to be basic common sense.

As for a life jacket, I've never actually worn one so don't really know what its like. Does having all that buoyancy not make a horizontal swimming position more difficult?

Back-stroke or doggie paddle! Proper lifejackets can restrict movement but will keep you face up if unconscious. I actually prefer a buoyancy aid waistcoat as they are not so restrictive - but no guarantee you will stay face up if you are witless!

In UK waters you can quickly become hypothermic and unconscious - even in summer conditions.

That's the problem with many of these very small inflatables, they are little more than a kiddies toy and unstable in anything other than perfect conditions and use. Go prepared to fall in but do your best not to - GOOD LUCK!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is the area I most often visit.

Port Meadow - Thryve

Its not about me thinking I'm cleverer than everyone else. I say the area I'll head to is safe because it actually really is. The north westerly stretch is quite safe too I think. I wouldn't get into a situation I couldn't confidently swim my way out of. That seems to me to be basic common sense.

As for a life jacket, I've never actually worn one so don't really know what its like. Does having all that buoyancy not make a horizontal swimming position more difficult?

Your staggering stupidity is at least consistent. No water is safe, you seem to think because kids swim in the river it must be ok.

You have zero knowledge of life jackets, are you going to allow your children to also venture out in this flimsy dinghy?

You don’t seem to agree with our opinions, why not ask someone in the RNLi for some expert advice.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You seem to come across as stupid,arrogant and argumentative in everything you post on here.
You have mentioned nhs and emergency services in other threads.If you get into difficulties there will be at least 2 of them at the scene because of your know all but know f¿ck all attitude.
What if a member of public jumped in to try and save you and got into difficulties and drowned ,would you like that on your conscience,?

Last edited:

d.owens

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200421-135021_Photo & Picture Resizer_copy_800x589.jpg

Police in Oxford spotted an angler and his accomplice breaking Corona Virus restrictions today.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Back-stroke or doggie paddle! Proper lifejackets can restrict movement but will keep you face up if unconscious. I actually prefer a buoyancy aid waistcoat as they are not so restrictive - but no guarantee you will stay face up if you are witless!

In UK waters you can quickly become hypothermic and unconscious - even in summer conditions.

That's the problem with many of these very small inflatables, they are little more than a kiddies toy and unstable in anything other than perfect conditions and use. Go prepared to fall in but do your best not to - GOOD LUCK!

He wont need a life jacket or waistcoat, his ego will keep him afloat.

bencarvosso

Reaction score
Had the same idea about an inflatable last month or so to fish a lake off beaten track with large rudd. Looked at these due to price but decided to save a few extra quid and do if properly. Thinking about a bark boat in 2.80 size. Still on the small size but from rewiews and a friend they are very stable bulletproof and well made. I'll let you know how I get on when I get a chance to get out...
Worth a look. And defo a lot more comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.