Is it me or Has River Fishing Generally Declined?

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you fancy a visit to the Trent Sam.....and you don't have transport to do it....I would be only too happy to pick you up and take you there myself and we could both have a day on the Trent together....if you want to, you get to choose the venue too.

That's a genuine offer Sam.......let me know by PM if you want to go anytime.

Maverick

Thanks for the offer, but transport isn't the issue. However, I'm not that keen to go, it would only serve to give me a taste for it again. I've quite come to terms with my lot without the need to travel. I'm a lot happier, and a lot better off, for it.

The bad one

Reaction score
Obviously, I am not as well versed as you are on this subject but don't you think you ought to consider the miniscule possibility that the the Trent might JUST perhaps have met the same fate as the other rivers you brushed over....ie abstraction, predation, bad spawning years, floods, fry washout and a multitude of other reasons.
Clear not versed!
You have stated on the visits you’ve made to the Trent that it’s cr*p despite other telling you its not and its now thriving with silver fish again.
I did not brush over the issue you say, but addressed my comments on the historical aspect of it, and the power stations influences. Made plain and simple by using dates and words such as 1960s, 70s, early 80s Trent hay-days.
As for your suggestion that I should read more about river eco systems "before I rush in with statements like I have in this thread"....oh purleeease.....I go fishing mate cos' I love it...love being on the river, love watching all the wildlife and if I catch a fish..all the better. I don't want, need or desire to study it in all it's scientific existence...my statements in this thread are easy to understand and all I was looking for was a few possible reasons....calm down buddy boy.
I presume “purleeease” means please does it? Bit like my misspelling of Soar and Sour eh!
And the things you like seeing, watching and occasionally catching are all dependant on good quality ecosystems to sustain them. Even a rudimentary knowledge of how they work allows you to argue from a position of understanding. Without which you will come across as misguided or words used more strongly than that. For far to long anglers have been easy meat for the powers that be to dismiss arguing from poor understanding, entrenched misguided and at time frankly daft views. I care passionately about my fishing and the good health of the ecosystems they reside in, as should all anglers to the best of their ability. And if to do that it means learning a bit of rudimentary scientific knowledge then the powers that be can’t and won’t try to pull the wool over their, our, eyes with bull excrement. But hey if you’re happy to be a mushroom, you crack on old boy, don’t let me stop you. But for me and many others, we’ll try not to let it happen on our watch!
The title of this thread is a simple question that even you should be able to understand....why are you slagging me off...what have I said or done to you to deserve your hostility on this subject?
Agree it was a simple question when you wrote it, but to then enter the debate with comments like you have in your subsequent posts “Fish recession,” being one that comes to mind, it is no longer the simple question you asked as you are expressing what you believe are definitive views on it. So matey, those views are open to scrutiny and challenge and therefore just repeating it’s a simple question when challenged on them just doesn’t wash.
You take fishing far too seriously....it's just a hobby....that's all....just a hobby matey....it's not ANYTHING serious.
That may well be the case re my fishing, But unlike you from what you’ve wrote, I like achieving my aims and objectives I set for myself each time I fish. As to it not being ANYTHING serious. Well threats to the waters I fish in are in my book very serious and I do take them more than serious. As without that seriousness, I’m old enough and live in an area, that within my lifetime, such waters were just open sewers. So I fully understand what the consequences will be if we don’t fight to maintain them in a good ecological state. Bluntly, they revert back to open sewers and the fishing’s gone! And I do mean gone! Not that you can’t catch them. I mean gone, dead, expired!
....well, not for most of us anyway.
Rather a presumptuous statement that on your part, claiming to know what most view it as!

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

I don't dispute the effect of warmed water but surely it would be quite localised , lets say the effect extends 3 miles from the Power Station ( that's just a guess obviously and may not be accurate ) then that's less than 50 miles of a very long river that would be affected.
Sorry to disappoint you Benny but it's far to simplistic that and the research over many years shows that. Eg Solar radiation (sunshine) on the upper catchments of long rivers may raise the river temperature 10 C locally. Where the lower catchment is dull overcast during the subsequent period with a lower river temperature than that of the upper catchment warming. By the time the same water reaches the low it raises that ambient water temperature by 2-3 C. The same water may have travelled over 100 miles to the lower, losing 7 - 8C on its travels. Yes it losses some heat but not all of it and therefore raises the lower’s temperature correspondingly.
The power Stations had the same effect but with a constant knock on effect every time it passed a PS outflow. I seem to recall the max temperature a PS could release outflow water at was 80F and that outflow water wasn’t a trickle it was equal to a smallish river or a large brook running constantly 24/7.

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer, but transport isn't the issue. However, I'm not that keen to go, it would only serve to give me a taste for it again. I've quite come to terms with my lot without the need to travel. I'm a lot happier, and a lot better off, for it.

OK Sam....good for you....it is good to be in that position.

....but if you ever change your mind...the offer stands indefinitely.

Maverick

maverick 7

Reaction score
Clear not versed!
You have stated on the visits you’ve made to the Trent that it’s cr*p despite other telling you its not and its now thriving with silver fish again.
I did not brush over the issue you say, but addressed my comments on the historical aspect of it, and the power stations influences. Made plain and simple by using dates and words such as 1960s, 70s, early 80s Trent hay-days.
I presume “purleeease” means please does it? Bit like my misspelling of Soar and Sour eh!
And the things you like seeing, watching and occasionally catching are all dependant on good quality ecosystems to sustain them. Even a rudimentary knowledge of how they work allows you to argue from a position of understanding. Without which you will come across as misguided or words used more strongly than that. For far to long anglers have been easy meat for the powers that be to dismiss arguing from poor understanding, entrenched misguided and at time frankly daft views. I care passionately about my fishing and the good health of the ecosystems they reside in, as should all anglers to the best of their ability. And if to do that it means learning a bit of rudimentary scientific knowledge then the powers that be can’t and won’t try to pull the wool over their, our, eyes with bull excrement. But hey if you’re happy to be a mushroom, you crack on old boy, don’t let me stop you. But for me and many others, we’ll try not to let it happen on our watch!
Agree it was a simple question when you wrote it, but to then enter the debate with comments like you have in your subsequent posts “Fish recession,” being one that comes to mind, it is no longer the simple question you asked as you are expressing what you believe are definitive views on it. So matey, those views are open to scrutiny and challenge and therefore just repeating it’s a simple question when challenged on them just doesn’t wash. That may well be the case re my fishing, But unlike you from what you’ve wrote, I like achieving my aims and objectives I set for myself each time I fish. As to it not being ANYTHING serious. Well threats to the waters I fish in are in my book very serious and I do take them more than serious. As without that seriousness, I’m old enough and live in an area, that within my lifetime, such waters were just open sewers. So I fully understand what the consequences will be if we don’t fight to maintain them in a good ecological state. Bluntly, they revert back to open sewers and the fishing’s gone! And I do mean gone! Not that you can’t catch them. I mean gone, dead, expired!Rather a presumptuous statement that on your part, claiming to know what most view it as!

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 ----------

Sorry to disappoint you Benny but it's far to simplistic that and the research over many years shows that. Eg Solar radiation (sunshine) on the upper catchments of long rivers may raise the river temperature 10 C locally. Where the lower catchment is dull overcast during the subsequent period with a lower river temperature than that of the upper catchment warming. By the time the same water reaches the low it raises that ambient water temperature by 2-3 C. The same water may have travelled over 100 miles to the lower, losing 7 - 8C on its travels. Yes it losses some heat but not all of it and therefore raises the lower’s temperature correspondingly.
The power Stations had the same effect but with a constant knock on effect every time it passed a PS outflow. I seem to recall the max temperature a PS could release outflow water at was 80F and that outflow water wasn’t a trickle it was equal to a smallish river or a large brook running constantly 24/7.

Merry Christmas mate........Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....:w...:)

Maverick

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Blimey,Maverick,you have been told now,theres a point being made in that lot,i leave it alone,i just aint in this class :eek:mg:

Yes Stan......there is a point somewhere in that lot I suppose but other than his blindingly tedious desire to show everybody on here just how paralysingly passionate he is about angling... swiftly followed by putting on a dazzling display of his hard earned knowledge of the ecosystem ........I'm afraid I can't see it.

All I want to know is if I am rubbish at fishing or if the rivers are getting worse.......followed by a few tips on improvemnet if the former proves to be the case......that's all.

BTW Bad One...with regards to your reference of my "entering the debate with comments like "Fish Recession"...QUOTE. You know I can't find anywhere on this thread where I have said the words "FISH RECESSION".....I could be wrong and missed it so can you tell me where the location is?....if not, this is the second time you have written that I have said something when I haven't.....Anyway, this is EXACTLY what I said....

"I suspect there is some kind of a "recession" as far as fishing is concerned going on in the rivers.....but that of course is just my opinion."

Really wouldn't have thought that an OPINION would upset too many people....would you?

Maverick

Last edited:

MRWELL

Reaction score
Well you know me,i don't fish Rivers so i can not comment on this thread really,just the post i have pointed out,theres nothing like having knowledge on subjects but my god thats a right lecture to what is a simple question.
My own twist on this is,the Rivers have all kind of things that can make them good or bad at any time and it takes a long time for them to over come problems,the echo system is a good point and does play a big part in how Rivers fish but it is a fragile environment and it takes very little to put it off course,i know little to nothing on this subject and i can see from both sides of this but from what i have been told by those who do fish Rivers (Severn/Stour being the ones) is that it is getting harder to find the fish these days and once hot spots are no longer,many travel miles to find new stretches to fish,maybe thats a good thing i don't know but some parts of Rivers are on a decline,why?...i guess it has been answered already,thats it from me anyway,have fun and be happy folks.

Stan.

The bad one

Reaction score
The last line of defence of a knowledge bankrupt fool is to attempt to attack those who have that knowledge and understanding. Illustrated perfectly by your last post.

Oh and the answer to your question is you’re just cr*p at fishing, best you just accept it because I doubt very much you’d accept anything any knowledgeable angler ever told you. And this one isn’t about to try, as a lost cause is always going to be so.

Happy New Year… enjoy your blissful ignorance and blanking!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Phil

I think you forgot to mention that professionally you are actually an ecologist (correct me if I'm wrong), so your knowledge and interest does extend somewhat beyond that of the common or garden angler. That bit of info does add a bit more context and rationale to your comments.

It's a bit like me saying that anyone living in this world should take an active interest in the physics of how the natural and man made world around us works - otherwise they shouldn't e living on it- but as a mechanical engineers I do have a detailed knowledge of physics and mechanics, well beyond the average guy that has a different education.

I assume you drive a car?

What are the piston rings made from? What is the coefficient of friction between the piston ring and the inside of the cylinder when fully lubricated? What is the material spec for a brake pad?

Stuff that you don't need to have an active interest in to enjoy driving a car.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Phil

I think you forgot to mention that professionally you are actually an ecologist (correct me if I'm wrong), so your knowledge and interest does extend somewhat beyond that of the common or garden angler. That bit of info does add a bit more context and rationale to your comments.

It's a bit like me saying that anyone living in this world should take an active interest in the physics of how the natural and man made world around us works - otherwise they shouldn't e living on it- but as a mechanical engineers I do have a detailed knowledge of physics and mechanics, well beyond the average guy that has a different education.

I assume you drive a car?

What are the piston rings made from? What is the coefficient of friction between the piston ring and the inside of the cylinder when fully lubricated? What is the material spec for a brake pad?

Stuff that you don't need to have an active interest in to enjoy driving a car.

All valid , of course , unless I ask why the car is running slow or why the brake pads don't last as long as they used to.

maverick 7

Reaction score
The last line of defence of a knowledge bankrupt fool is to attempt to attack those who have that knowledge and understanding. Illustrated perfectly by your last post.

Oh and the answer to your question is you’re just cr*p at fishing, best you just accept it because I doubt very much you’d accept anything any knowledgeable angler ever told you. And this one isn’t about to try, as a lost cause is always going to be so.

Happy New Year… enjoy your blissful ignorance and blanking!

Yep....bang on cue......

....and I am attacking you no more than you have attacked me and get this........I may not know as much as you do about ecology and I could indeed be cr*p at fishing but as I said it isn't as important to me as it so obviously is to you ...it's just an hobby that I love doing but despite all that....... I am far from being any kind of fool.......believe me.

PS....I notice there is no progress on the "Fish Recession" accusation of yours then?....

....didn't think there would be... How many times is it now that you have accused me of saying something that I didn't?

I reckon your rep must have gone down a few notches after this matey....

Maverick

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Oi Matt you've spoiled my fun and other people’s as well who know me by blowing the gaff on me mate! L Now I’ll have to come clean, It’s Phil H BSc and MSc in both Ecology and Freshwater Ecology. Consultant to many clubs, including the largest in the UK, Community groups and charities that work in the environmental field.
Yep....bang on cue......

....and I am attacking you no more than you have attacked me and get this........I may not know as much as you do about ecology and I could indeed be cr*p at fishing but as I said it isn't as important to me as it so obviously is to you ...it's just an hobby that I love doing but despite all that....... I am far from being any kind of fool.......believe me.

PS....I notice there is no progress on the "Fish Recession" accusation of yours then?....

....didn't think there would be... How many times is it now that you have accused me of saying something that I didn't?

I reckon your rep must have gone down a few notches after this matey....
You can play the semantics card all you want, Fish Recession or Fishing Recession by implication it’s the same thing, because you sure weren’t talking about and “Economic Fishing Recession.” You were talking about the absence of fish where you were fishing. But that just might be down to you being cr*p at it. And a more skilled, knowledgeable and competent angler would have had a different result.

I think you find my rep is very much intact, as for your... well I'll leave to others to make their minds up on that.

MRWELL

Reaction score
As a mere mortal,i hope everyone has a great new year on the Banks,i don't wish to get involved in what has become a ''i know more than you,you know nothing'' thread,petty insults and put downs has never been to my liking,i do hope people grow up and stop all this nonsense before it boils over.
Has for me,i am just a poor little angler trying to get help or give it but never mind ;)

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Oi Matt you've spoiled my fun

Phil,

Nobody doubts your knowledge and more specifically, qualifications on this subject, should belittling other members be necessary to prove your point? Given the circumstances, I feel you could have been less condescending.

Please continue to have "fun" but if you wish to dish it out, just be prepared to take it should it ever be at your expense.

Ian

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennygesserit View Post
I don't dispute the effect of warmed water but surely it would be quite localised , lets say the effect extends 3 miles from the Power Station ( that's just a guess obviously and may not be accurate ) then that's less than 50 miles of a very long river that would be affected.

Not sure whether trying to answer on my nexus will work but here goes.

I understand the thermal properties of water are often counter intuitive but look at the gulf stands etc that flow through our oceans or the fact you can use a large tub of warm water to hear a greenhouse, the effect of the sun or other ambient conditions we should temporarily assume are roughly constant for the purpose of this post and so discount them.

The thing that seems counter intuitive is that those power stations would raise the temperature of the river to a degree ( pun ) that was noticeable much further down the river, they must have been pumping out a tremendous amount of water. I can more easily accept that localised spots might provide a breeding ground for fish.

I am honestly quite open minded on this, so not looking to score any form points or anything, but TBO am I interpreting you correctly and that the presence of these power stations were that significant?

While I said discount ambient conditions that in reality might actually be a factor we might be in some cycle or other as far as weather goes.

Of course there are a lot of other factors that might affect fishing o or change fishing over the period Maverick is talking about has anyone produced the EA figures for how the fish profile has actually changed ( as far as one can measure it any way )

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Oi Matt you've spoiled my fun and other people’s as well who know me by blowing the gaff on me mate! L Now I’ll have to come clean, It’s Phil H BSc and MSc in both Ecology and Freshwater Ecology. Consultant to many clubs, including the largest in the UK, Community groups and charities that work in the environmental field. Am I supposed to be impressed...as your pal Matt says...I don't need to know how it works to enjoy it...do I? You can play the semantics card all you want, Fish Recession or Fishing Recession by implication it’s the same thing, because you sure weren’t talking about and “Economic Fishing Recession.” There you go again...I didn't say ANY of those phrases...You were talking about the absence of fish where you were fishing. I SUSPECTED the absence of fish and it was an OPINION...I made it crystal clear that I wasn't stating a fact and that it was only an opinion But that just might be down to you being cr*p at it. And a more skilled, knowledgeable and competent angler would have had a different result.....You mean one like you?
I think you find my rep is very much intact, as for your... well I'll leave to others to make their minds up on that.
...I don't have a rep on here that I have to worry or care about matey.

I think I will take Stans advice and leave you to wallow in your in your own greatness.

Maverick

cg74

Reaction score

Your reputation is indeed very much intact but do you know what people think about you?

Take me, I think you're a petty little ****, who is so desperate to win the day, you'll do anything necessary.
Like the time you asked me to prove I'd fished the river Eden (Cumbria).

It's rather a shame really because you are fairly knowledgeable on matters eco...

MRWELL

Reaction score
Well time to put this thread to rest i think before more things are said,it takes very little to ruin what was a good debated thread,in part,but when members start to let there egos get the better of them by stating they know more than anyone else and that your opinions don't hold water,it is time to start thinking is it worth saying anything at all.
Guys,this is a fishing site (am i right?) with many members who have THEIR own opinions on subjects,it might not be the right ones but there is a right way to reply and i am amazed at how a member who has so much knowledge (with what ever letters after there name) should post in such a way and by the sounds of things it is not the first time either,reputations are made and sometimes user names are a give away :wh

thecrow

Reaction score
I had an uncle that was very much the academic being a lecturer at some university or another, the thing was it mattered not how many letters he had after his name he ( I have noticed the same with other academics) had little or no common sense, strange but very true.