Is lure fishing gaining popularity?

mikench

Reaction score
What is the eye under the lure/ shad etc used for? The nose one is for attaching to the line but not sure about the bottom one!:confused:

mikench

Reaction score
For shads and similar what would be an appropriate size hook! I have a mental block with hooks bigger than a 10 and 01 hooks and upwards just do not compute! I have a number of rubber lures from 3.5 inches to 6 !

mikench

Reaction score
I had never heard of them but their site looks very interesting. I will have a good luck! Thanks John!

steve2

Reaction score
AGM lures is addictive I managed to wean myself of this site. But not before I ended up with more soft lures than I could ever use.
I just had a quick look at the site and the temptation is coming back.

B

binka

There's no doubt about it, lure fishing is certainly becoming big...

strange-Weird-Fishing-Lures-fishing-lures-u-deanlevininfo-muskiebait-adventures-fish-just-kept-c.jpg

Imagine chucking that out on your local cut :laugh:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lures and chips, sounds good to me.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
Lures provide the versatility live bait doesn't and never has to represent anything in nature. The sheer variety of lures presents tools for any situation - even under the ice - and is comparable to a golfer knowing when to use certain clubs. Nice thing about lures is how easy they are to use and catch fish that even my 6 y.o. grandson caught fish first time he learned how to cast one. I can choose one soft plastic lure design, rig it on a light jig and catch most species that swim, anywhere, never having the need to switch to something else. But what's nice about lures is catching fish different ways on different lure designs.

I don't ever have the need to buy them having collected hundreds over the decades and ss long as the hooks are sharp and aren't rusty, lures last a lifetime.
And yes - many can be used under a float.

john step

Reaction score
I have recently bought a rod (recommended on here) and taken the plunge with those tiny rubber lures. Years ago I had given lure fishing up as a bad job.
I have now enjoyed the odd wander along the banks with minimal gear and had a few small perch, so they do work. I shall do more as it makes a pleasant change. Whether I catch anything large is not important. Even those small perch whacked the lure and sent a tingle down the rod.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

It will never be as big as in the USA because the UK is tiny.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
Whether I catch anything large is not important. Even those small perch whacked the lure and sent a tingle down the rod.

The nice thing about using ball head jigs and soft plastics is that you never know what will strike. This channel catfish that weighed plus 2 lbs. fought as hard as
any big fish species.
PpBmOZX.jpg

...that bit this:
rl6YjSd.jpg

Mud cat:
BvWADVa.jpg

Better yet, the lure doesn't have to look or move like anything though dependent on a slow retrieve to get fish to strike.

Last edited:

Finzky

Reaction score
Hi lads, I`m back on the track with lure fishing in UK and I`m shocked how people bounce me off nearly everywhere, so: I'M not a beginner and have very decent equipment and I know how to deal with predators, but at any bloody place where I`m calling to ask if I can come down I can just hear: no I don`t like spinners here, no just dead bites only, no sorry no perch and pike fishing on spinning, no jigs (fox snack bites 4cm = 5g) for perch and spinners here, we doing only carp here, carp anglers are priority so you will tangle their lines - no spinning, So out of probably 20 fisheries around me to where I was prepared to drive and pay - been bounced back.

It`s been very frustrating that even one place will tell you you are ok to come, BUT no BRAID - for flipping sake - BRAID IS THE LINE WHICH YOU SUPPOSE TO USE, how come on earth I will come with 2500 reel on lightweight rod and add on it 15lb mono(minimum)????????

I need to tell one thing, looking at all what`s happened with me in last year time, lure fishing is not just gaining popularity, but actual spinning anglers been just cut out from any fishing environment where it`s possible.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately braid and trebles in careless hands can cause all sorts of problems for fish and fellow anglers. That’s why the majority of fishery owners want nothing to do with the method.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
On a canal where I fish, there are a lot of d1cks (sorry but that's what they are) drop shotting, spinning, jigging, no landing net, no care for anything caught whatsoever, I have seen a dead jackpike in the water with a length of bright coloured braid trailing from it's mouth, sadly a few idiots who care very little for the fish they may catch have got into lure fishing with no thought of how to unhook their catch, and I can understand the mistrust of commercial operators who may tar all lure users with the same brush after witnessing similar behaviour.

Finzky

Reaction score
I agree there always will be flip side of lure fishing, but then people must be controlled more and checked if their behavior is inappropriate. Lucky me I had fisherman grandad who showed me everything and I absorbed with mothers milk that fish must be released alive and how to do it.

My point is brushing everybody with their lures under carpet, people who really know what they does been mistreated and I can't see how this type of fishing sport will progress if soon there will be left none commercial fishery for lures. Anybody seen dead bite hook damages on fish? Quite sad to see what damage those two treble hooks can do to the pike in careless hands, but that is allowed mostly everywhere.