Is this common practice?

honslow

Reaction score
Sounds like a pike angler transporting farmed carp illegally.

Yes, we heard that too Mark. Evidence people, evidence.

Lee, I'd appreciate a chat about what you saw and where if you've got the time (01733 465673).

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Thats sounds really naughty, a thing like that happened last year i think, loads of em though. Ireland bounds i finks. This should be nipped in the bud early, anglers fish/fishing could be wiped out by idiots.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Usually you find this sort of thing happens through pure ignorance.

I find that a ploite quiet word in their ear is usually enough for them to admit that they didn't know that they were doing anything wrong.

Some years ago (quite a few actually) I used to fish a couple of lovely lakes in southern Norway for the Pike and Zander and there was never a problem catching bait-fish.

However, for about 6 years the lakes became very popular with German pike anglers who used to arrive in the summer in their morotised caravans bringing with them live Gudgeon.

Now, there are no Gudgeon in Norway but over these few years by releasing their unused livebaits those lakes are now stuffed full of the little blighters.

This whole process took less than 6 years to go from no gudgeon at all to lakes crammed full of them.

I

Ian Cloke

Peter, ignorance is not an excuse, anyone who wants to fish should know the rules......

Not having a dig at you Peter.

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Whittaker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Personally I don't own a keepnet.

I think they are horrible things "anglers" cram fish into .</blockquote>

Should that be: "that some anglers cram fish into"? (whilst others use them properly).

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Ian,

I agree with you totally, although we all come into contact with those less experienced anglers who need a 'gentle reminder' to supplement thier ignorance from time to time.

Graham said:

"Should that be: "that some anglers cram fish into"? (whilst others use them properly)."

Couldn't agree more Graham.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly sited and well staked-our keepnet, used correctly!

The Monk

Reaction score
uyes I do enjoy using a keepnet myself, if they are used properly they create no problem

K

Keith Williams

I think some of the remarks are unbelieveable in this thread with regard to actions of others in contravention of fishery law ( criminal law)

What canal produces uniform sized small carp in quantity?...... None that I can think of besides why weren't there any roach, perch, and othe more usuable livebaits in the bucket as well at the same time.

the phrase " Powers of deduction my dear Watson " comes to mind somehow !!

those that refer to big carp up to 30lb being affected totally miss the big picture in that all fish would be afflicted by disease in that location should an outbreak ocur from the introduction of illegally stocked fish including discarded livebaits after use which would then because of flow rates make its way to other connected waterways as for example the carp deaths in the Bridgwater canal area last year which remained unexplained for ages

The Offending anglers vehicle number should have been taken and reported immediately to the EA on the 0800 hotline as is the real fact of the matter as far as the original observer should have done at the time and as he's banned the bloke he should still report it to the EA who will take a " Statement of witness" and see if they can deal with it appropriately as the person is known! if not, how can he be banned I would ask?

As an interesting observation, it seems that in the Wolverhampton area the fact that small carp are well used for livebaits as was practised by well known anglers from that area who were caught last year... makes You wonder if the carplings were from the same source ??? maybe the EA will get to the bottom of it if they get the correct information to work with

the incident yet again gives specimen pike anglers a bad name and yet again more fodder for the anti's

When will the angling bodies develope and implement a policy of " Name & Shame" offenders one wonders and clean the sport up !

As old Meldrew would say..... " I can't believe it!"

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

What controls if any are in place with regards to the sellers of small farmed carp ? Surely they can't just knock them out to anyone who walks through the door with no fish transfer paperwork in hand.... ?

K

Keith Williams

The dealers know the law on fish sales as advised by Cefas and Defra

the industry is well aware !!!

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

My point exactly.

So what does the EA do to enforce those laws, checking / audit on numbers and sales ? Or is it just too easy for a fish farmer to blame discrepancies in numbers on fish deaths etc while they go out the backdoor in buckets ?

It's time the stakes were perhaps raised a wee bit for them. A fishfarmer or two going out of business because of licence being withdrawn might make the rest think a wee bit more carefully about the issue.

Damn shame for the undoubtedly honest and ethical majority. But the other problem is that I suspect the buggers doing the selling are exactly the sort of cheapskate slapdash bastards who would have infected fish....

K

Keith Williams

Evan

I've made my views know to those in authority in the past, its now a case of the angling community doing its bit ( like the thread poster at the beginning )

It beggars belief as to how many anglers know little or nothing about the otherside of their sport with regard to the legal side of matters and as some EA guys say... people never bother to read their licence from " Day one after Purchase" so no wonder thers so much apathy and ignorance

Everyone can get their local regional and national fishing byelaws online from the EA Efish website so theres no excuse for not knowing if your electronically connected and mentally switched on!!!

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Quite right Graham, many anglers do use keepnets responsibly.

"What controls if any are in place with regards to the sellers of small farmed carp ? Surely they can't just knock them out to anyone who walks through the door with no fish transfer paperwork in hand.... ?

Evan, you can buy small carp in most aquatic centres without paperwork.

K

Keith Williams

Morespiders.

I didn't say he was at it again.....I said it was a geographical coincidence and a point that the same sort of livebaits were seen as were detected in the case that came to light previously and dealt with previously !!

as for Tristona's thought's on Goldfish... thats a total "NO NO" as well, you can't buy livebaits and take them to a water - don't forget a lot of goldfish are imported and not of Uk origin and their use for fishing is wholly illegal and in contravention of Section 30 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

Its worth reading the attached link below and then theres no if's or buts about moving fish

http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/formsandguides/Guide%20to%20using%20Form%20FR1.pdf

"Ignore at your peril " or at the receiving fisheries are the phrase's that come to mind

In short anyone who moves fish about is a Mind boggling idiot