Just what is stret-pegging?

trotter2

Reaction score
Personally I think all these methods do have there uses, and still work very well when conditions are right for the technique.
I use them often and regularly take fish which would not except a bait simply running through the swim.
Don't right it off as old fashioned, it sometimes takes some specimen fish.

trotter2

Reaction score
The modern method (if you can call it that) would be link ledgering with a quiver tip.
I would describe stret pegging and laying on as very useful additional technique to your standard way of trotting when conditions are right for it .
Its basically fishing on the bottom but with the visual attraction of being able to watch a float instead of the rod tip.
I really enjoy it, its a lovely way to fish IMO and every year accounts for some big chub on bread flake from under some willow trees I fish.
If you have never tried it give it a go :thumbs:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Out dated for me.

How on earth can it be outdated, there's no other method of legering close'ish in and in flowing water that's as effective. the fish feel very little resistance if your laying on correctly....maybe you just can't do it very well ;).

soft plastic

Reaction score
The modern method (if you can call it that) would be link ledgering with a quiver tip.
I would describe stret pegging and laying on as very useful additional technique to your standard way of trotting when conditions are right for it .
Its basically fishing on the bottom but with the visual attraction of being able to watch a float instead of the rod tip.
I really enjoy it, its a lovely way to fish IMO and every year accounts for some big chub on bread flake from under some willow trees I fish.
If you have never tried it give it a go :thumbs:
I know exactly what stret pegging is. My question was aimed at rayner. Give me a float over the tip any day. Also far easier to move the bait down the swim if needed.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Stret pegging has been taken to a more ' modern' equivalent in one way with the advent of pole fishing. The difference being you can fish the method effectively but further out with a Flat float like this innit....

flightliner

Reaction score
Back on my upper Witham days I used to be able to stret my float close up to a big decaying weedbed in the autumn time where my bait could be left to tempt some of the roach beneath, not massive fish but a super quality nontheless, plenty of pound plus fish.
Run a continuously moving bait past that weed most days , especially on cold frosty days and the bag was often leaner.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Stret-pegging to me is where the float is in front of the bait that is dragging along the bottom, usually there is a big arc of line in front of the float thus allowing the bait to be dragged along slowly.

Laying on is where the bait is held in position with a shot or shots and float is behind the bait, this can be critically balanced, if the shot is set close to the hook you can achieve the lift method.

Quiver tipping is neither of the above methods, it's legering and an easier way of fishing than up steam touch legering for those who did not have the skills to master those skills.

Bob

soft plastic

Reaction score
Seems to be a few interpretations of exactly what stret pegging is. Here's my take on it. I was shown how to do this by my father in the 60's. He was shown by his father. The float, always a quill of some description, is attached top and bottom. The shot is fixed fairly close to the hook, 6" is a good guide. The weight of the shot should be both heavy enough to just sink the float and just hold the bottom in the flow. To achieve the shot to hold bottom the float is set overdepth, often by as much as a few feet. This extra depth also stops the float from submerging due to the "overshotting." Both the weight of the shot and the depth of the float are adjusted until the bait can be held static in the flow. The rod is placed in the rest and a bow of line is allowed to develop. This also helps to present the bait properly. Pretty much the same theory as when feeder fishing in flow. People fish relatively light feeders by deliberately forming this downstream loop. On occasions the rod tip can be raised and the critical balance is broken and the float will travel down the swim until it reaches the desired spot and it can be allowed to settle again. Fantastic way to fish on a river fining down after a flood. That's my take on stret pegging, I may be wrong but that's the way I was shown.

trotter2

Reaction score
Run a continuously moving bait past that weed most days , especially on cold frosty days and the bag was often leaner.

Pleased you mentioned that I have found the same continually running a float down can spook the fish in low clear conditions.
Were laying on sometimes works better than trotting.

Good point mate.

rayner

Reaction score
Seems to be a few interpretations of exactly what stret pegging is. Here's my take on it. I was shown how to do this by my father in the 60's. He was shown by his father. The float, always a quill of some description, is attached top and bottom. The shot is fixed fairly close to the hook, 6" is a good guide. The weight of the shot should be both heavy enough to just sink the float and just hold the bottom in the flow. To achieve the shot to hold bottom the float is set overdepth, often by as much as a few feet. This extra depth also stops the float from submerging due to the "overshotting." Both the weight of the shot and the depth of the float are adjusted until the bait can be held static in the flow. The rod is placed in the rest and a bow of line is allowed to develop. This also helps to present the bait properly. Pretty much the same theory as when feeder fishing in flow. People fish relatively light feeders by deliberately forming this downstream loop. On occasions the rod tip can be raised and the critical balance is broken and the float will travel down the swim until it reaches the desired spot and it can be allowed to settle again. Fantastic way to fish on a river fining down after a flood. That's my take on stret pegging, I may be wrong but that's the way I was shown.

Your reply soft plastic is about the best reply I have read on this thread. Though I do disagree with some of what you say the method you describe is close to how I see it.
As far as I'm concerned stret pegging is about as close to fishing laid on as ledgering, unless of course you call ledgering laid on.
Every time I used the method the float was always fished down stream of the weight, if left unchecked the float would be pulled under by the flow. To prevent this the line would be tensioned against the float until it appeared on the surface IE on a tight line.
I would only use this method on a flooded river.
Rivers that were in good condition or normal levels a stick would out fish stret pegging every time.
A stick can be inched through the peg or run through at the same pace of the water, it can even be stopped to cause the bait to rise and fall. It is all down to shotting.
As stret pegging is only a variation of ledgering all be it with a float it it no where near as sensitive as a well presented quiver set up for a stationary bottom bait.
I think it's good that a few that still fish the stret pegging method are keeping the old traditional methods going but in my opinion they have had there day and other methods are far superior. I also think some have the wrong idea about fishing laid on.
Laid on is a very good tactic in fact if I fish a bait on the bottom with a float I always fish over depth or as we call it laid on. Stret pegging is ledgering with a float on moving water not laid on. I think it is however old hat.
Of course this is only my opinion, other opinions are out there I know.

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Your reply soft plastic is about the best reply I have read on this thread. Though I do disagree with some of what you say the method you describe is close to how I see it.
As far as I'm concerned stret pegging is about as close to fishing laid on as ledgering, unless of course you call ledgering laid on.
Every time I used the method the float was always fished down stream of the weight, if left unchecked the float would be pulled under by the flow. To prevent this the line would be tensioned against the float until it appeared on the surface IE on a tight line.
I would only use this method on a flooded river.
Rivers that were in good condition or normal levels a stick would out fish stret pegging every time.
A stick can be inched through the peg or run through at the same pace of the water, it can even be stopped to cause the bait to rise and fall. It is all down to shotting.
As stret pegging is only a variation of ledgering all be it with a float it it no where near as sensitive as a well presented quiver set up for a stationary bottom bait.
I think it's good that a few that still fish the stret pegging method are keeping the old traditional methods going but in my opinion they have had there day and other methods are far superior. I also think some have the wrong idea about fishing laid on.
Laid on is a very good tactic in fact if I fish a bait on the bottom with a float I always fish over depth or as we call it laid on. Stret pegging is ledgering with a float on moving water not laid on. I think it is however old hat.
Of course this is only my opinion, other opinions are out there I know.

Very good reply from you as well, rayner. Would disagree with you that a quiver tip is more sensitive than a float. Would also disagree that it is akin to a stationary legered bait. The whole ethos of stret pegging, to me at least, is that you can search out the entire swim. A conventionally presented legered bait is (usually) presented statically. Anyway, however we define it or whatever method we choose to fish, they all have their day.

soft plastic

Reaction score
I cannot see stret pegging as a form of legering, there's no run through lead?
Surely you can ledger with a fixed lead, stret peg with a running lead...and vice versa.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Surely you can ledger with a fixed lead, stret peg with a running lead...and vice versa.

I suppose so; I guess you could achieve the same action with a leger or a fixed lead if you balanced it right; but there's the problem of getting the critical balance dead right which is what stret pegging is about, not so easily achieved with a single lead I wouldn't think; maybe a shotted link leger; then you could adjust easily for the flow/depth but it wouldn't be quite the same to me..
If someone said they were legering, just laying on or stret pegging I would get three definite ideas about how they were fishing, not one. In my minds eye its different forms of fishing.

Last edited:
B

binka

Isn't there some sort of definition between legering and float fishing (where a float is used with shot laid along the bottom) for the World Championships?

I might be wrong but thought it was no more than 10% of the float's total capacity to be laid on the bottom.

**** Clegg got the England team around it in one final in, iirc, France by utilising some huge floats which would take that 10% required to hold bottom on it's own and the rest were there suspended off bottom just to meet the rule criteria.

I think eels were the target.

It could be one for Mark Wintle... The rule clarification not the eels, eels are Skip's department :)

Little to do with stret-pegging but maybe pertinent to the question of when float fishing effectively becomes legering in terms of just how much weight is on the bottom although I do think there is something of a convenience and necessity in that example whereas stret-pegging is something I will always recognise as a float method in its own right.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I cannot see stret pegging as a form of legering, there's no run through lead?

Your right, it isn't legering. Even if your bait is dragging bottom it's not legering, your just dragging bottom.

If you where legering and allowing your weight to move down river/trundle I would say you'd be rolling your rig....as in rolling meat or whatever bait your using.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Isn't there some sort of definition between legering and float fishing (where a float is used with shot laid along the bottom) for the World Championships?

I might be wrong but thought it was no more than 10% of the float's total capacity to be laid on the bottom.

**** Clegg got the England team around it in one final in, iirc, France by utilising some huge floats which would take that 10% required to hold bottom on it's own and the rest were there suspended off bottom just to meet the rule criteria.

I think eels were the target.

It could be one for Mark Wintle... The rule clarification not the eels, eels are Skip's department :)

Little to do with stret-pegging but maybe pertinent to the question of when float fishing effectively becomes legering in terms of just how much weight is on the bottom although I do think there is something of a convenience and necessity in that example whereas stret-pegging is something I will always recognise as a float method in its own right.

I know that you can't ledger in the World Champs, unless it is a ledgering competition that is. I didn't think you could hold bottom, but I may well be wrong about that. Neil Maidment may know.