Marco Cortesi centrepin

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi,
well I ordered my pair of CL pins as an investment and I really love precision engineering that's all. I am not trying to pull anyone down by buying these cheap reels, I was just stating the fact that this sort of stuff usually drops to bits or fails after a while and IMO does not give as much pleasure as a good well made product.
I have been given 2 years before I get my reels so I have ages to save up I am not wealthy, honest!!!

guest61

Reaction score
hi,
well I ordered my pair of CL pins as an investment and I really love precision engineering that's all. I am not trying to pull anyone down by buying these cheap reels, I was just stating the fact that this sort of stuff usually drops to bits or fails after a while and IMO does not give as much pleasure as a good well made product.
I have been given 2 years before I get my reels so I have ages to save up I am not wealthy, honest!!!

Ignore my ramblings. I hope that you get tremendous enjoyment from owning such fine reels. If in a few years the bearings in my MC burn out through over use I'll upgrade, until then.

Best Regards and tight lines.

Mark

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ignore my ramblings. I hope that you get tremendous enjoyment from owning such fine reels. If in a few years the bearings in my MC burn out through over use I'll upgrade, until then.

Best Regards and tight lines.

Mark

Its ok mark, I do have a deep disregard for certain companies using VERY cheap far eastern labour. I know that most stuff is made in china these days, but it makes me shudder when I think of the poor folk that are making the really cheap goods. Its just my opinion that's all, and folk have a right to buy what they want.
hey, even the Sheffield pin that they all rave about on here is being made in a different location now and of what I have seen the quality is not as good as it was.
Since getting back into fishing I have found it harder to buy British, the diawa team match rods that I used to own are no longer made here and you have to pay upwards of £280 to get a British made diawa rod these days, it really is a shame.

good luck in the new season and tight lines

mark

watatoad

Reaction score
I though t this thread was about the Marco Cortesi centrepin reels.

Which are in my opinion not only a good entry level centrepin for any would be centrepin user who fancies trying out the discipline of centrepin fishing, before committing many pounds perhaps even several hundred pounds just on the off chance they can do it and might like it. But also something I can leave in the back of the car with a rod in case I get the chance to have a quick dabble, but with the knowledge that if stolen I am not going to be a small fortune out of pocket or a period without a reel while the insurance company drags its heels.

This thread is not about the pride or joy nor pleasure that may be found owning an excellent yet handmade reel whatever its make.

Its about a £30.00 reel which everyone and anyone can afford.

Those pin users who make such a big thing or the price or make of a reel are not anglers as much as they are showoffs and pride full. You cannot compare the to extremes its just totally unfair.

What I will say is centrepin fishing is a skill that requires dedication and effort to succeed or excel in. Not an expensive reel. Learning to cast can often be an off putting nightmare for many which is one of the reasons so many bought fixed spool reels the moment they came within their price reach back in the 1960's. I would go so far as to say if you cannot get to grips centrepin fishing with a Marco Cortesi you are unlikely to get to grips with it no matter how much you spend.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
watertoad,
I am not being a show off or bragging about how much I am paying for tackle, Its my choice to spend a big wad on a reel same as its yours to spend a small wad on a reel, I wasn't trying to make you look small, so sorry for the miss understanding mate.
by the way, the CL pins that I have ordered are not going to be used, they are going in a cabinet and saved for a rainy day....An investment for my old age!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
by the way, the CL pins that I have ordered are not going to be used, they are going in a cabinet and saved for a rainy day....An investment for my old age!!

WHAT !!...not use em, don't tell CL, he won't sell em ya LOL.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi tigger,
sorry mate, t'is me and my derbyshire wit!!!
im not going to wait 2/3 years and then just lock them away, after all you cant' take them with you when you leave this world can you.

mark

watatoad

Reaction score
watertoad,
I am not being a show off or bragging about how much I am paying for tackle, Its my choice to spend a big wad on a reel same as its yours to spend a small wad on a reel, I wasn't trying to make you look small, so sorry for the miss understanding mate.

I never took it as a personal dig perhaps because we are all different and each has his or her own way of putting things, but if you really do decide not to use your new CL's try to borrow on may make you decide to Perhaps keep one as a collectors item for investment they are very good reels. To try to be clearer I am not saying you should not, I love very nice tackle and often very expensive tackle in point of fact. But that is totally irrelevant when considering a lower priced reel. The Marco Cortesi can and should only be considered on its own merits or at most against reels around its price range.

Speaking entirely from personal experience the Marco Cortesi can be compared to reels up to and including the Okuma Aventa and most of the TFG range.

I am a great advocate of the whole concept that you do not have to spend a fortune to be able to catch good fish regularly, I realise some will just automatically assume that is because I cant afford it so I will be very open before anyone totally gets the wrong idea, which I would not like.

I have a large amount of new some are nearly a year old J W Young's of which I just bought some more rather than buying spare spools, 9 Okuma's, and numerous others, I sometimes go fishing in my Rolls Royce although I can only get my tackle in one of my two supercars I can only get a tiny fold up stool and travel rod in the other and that means no passengers...hehehe but my tackle goes well in both my Mercedes Estate 'E' class and my wife's sports car or her Volvo V70 the cars are all personally owned and all paid for in cash that is without loans or HP and that is being show off and no I have not won the lottery except for an occasional £10.00. I could easily order a dozen Chris Lythe reels without a thought.

So perhaps you can see I am not just knocking something because I cannot afford it I am simply trying to point out although expensive reels are loved by some and admired by some and they may well be fine examples of the manufacturers art they are not essential. Lovely, beautiful and a pleasure to own yes but not essential, perhaps something for some to aspire to but not as a starting point in centrepin fishing.

I for one can often be found with a complete set up costing far less than £100.00 and with some of the older tackle I use looking decidedly a bit tatty and worn...hehehe and sometimes a mix of all sorts.

Last edited:

valleybrown

Reaction score
Hi everybody thanks for looking in and thank you for the thread so far. Newbie centre pin owner here and I’ve spent the best part of an hour catching up! I’ve also read the thread on the fly forum.

I have a specific query about the Marco Cortesi centrepin and not all the other linked issues(!). I have never owned a centrepin before; I don’t have any engineering skills or my own fab/engineering workshop. So won’t be doing any mods to my MC reel.

I have recently purchased the reel and generally very happy with it. It’s not been used in pleasure yet but given the date it won’t be long!

Firstly, although I appreciate the length of time it spins isn’t the only bench mark, the one I have spins for between 15-20 secs. This is a remarkably short time compared to a lot of others on the threads and boards. As it’s my first pin, have I missed something obvious? Do I need to do something to get it to spin for these serious lengths of time?

Secondly, when spinning it, laying it your palm there is a very small amount of “wobble” on the spool. It’s less than 1mm. Is this expected for a pin of this price? Could this wobble be a reason why it spins for a very short time?

Just to add that I’ve spoken to dragoncarp and despite my inexperience they have said I can return it no probs. As I’ve always had exceptional service and always had very good quality tackle from them so I’m reluctant to send it back if there’s nothing wrong with it!

Thanks in advance.

guest61

Reaction score
Firstly, although I appreciate the length of time it spins isn’t the only bench mark, the one I have spins for between 15-20 secs. This is a remarkably short time compared to a lot of others on the threads and boards. As it’s my first pin, have I missed something obvious? Do I need to do something to get it to spin for these serious lengths of time?

Secondly, when spinning it, laying it your palm there is a very small amount of “wobble” on the spool. It’s less than 1mm. Is this expected for a pin of this price? Could this wobble be a reason why it spins for a very short time?

I would suggest sending it back - the 'wobble' is indicative of imbalance which may be why your reel doesn't spin a freely as you may be expecting.

I have one and mine doesn't wobble - I'm loathe to say that it should spin for 'x' minutes or whatever, in my view it doesn't mean much anyway, other than generate another twenty posts on the end of the thread.

Regards

Mark

valleybrown

Reaction score
Hi Mark

Thanks for the very quick reply and advice.
Sadly I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion as you. It's going to have to go back.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Another plus point of the Marco - excellent customer services. I understand they will exchange with no quibble...

Mmm, good job considerring the ammount of these reels that i've heard of being sent back :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Blackstar

Have you taken the spool off yet ? A colleague at work bought one of these which was delivered today. He's a pin novice & asked me what I thought. I loosened the central screw,took the cover & spool off,gave them a wipe & a clean,shook it & then reassembled it. Infinately better.Dry as a bone and badly needs a drop of oil but that apart its now a goodun. Be careful though....when I did that with mine the bearings fell out !

Have you tried altering the tension on the central screw ? That might make a helluva difference.It ought not too...but it does. Try taking the spool off ,oiling & re-assembling it then screw it up tight [firm not dead tight] spin the reel and then back the screw off a tiny bit. Keep doing this & see what happens. You might find that the screw is just too tight & the shaft too dry to allow the spool to rotate properly.

Yes,yes all you pin experts I know its a bearing reel but this is not a finely tuned piece of hysterical engineering & the above made a helluva difference to both my reel and my colleagues.Turned a doorstop into a pretty good entry level pin.

THough I hate to say it this reel strikes me as one that needs a good hard slap & a bit of poking to get it to work properly.

That said at this price there are bound to be a few wrong un's that get past whatever passes for quality control !
Skippy

watatoad

Reaction score
Blackstar

Have you taken the spool off yet ? A colleague at work bought one of these which was delivered today. He's a pin novice & asked me what I thought. I loosened the central screw,took the cover & spool off,gave them a wipe & a clean,shook it & then reassembled it. Infinately better.Dry as a bone and badly needs a drop of oil but that apart its now a goodun. Be careful though....when I did that with mine the bearings fell out !

Have you tried altering the tension on the central screw ? That might make a helluva difference.It ought not too...but it does. Try taking the spool off ,oiling & re-assembling it then screw it up tight [firm not dead tight] spin the reel and then back the screw off a tiny bit. Keep doing this & see what happens. You might find that the screw is just too tight & the shaft too dry to allow the spool to rotate properly.

Yes,yes all you pin experts I know its a bearing reel but this is not a finely tuned piece of hysterical engineering & the above made a helluva difference to both my reel and my colleagues.Turned a doorstop into a pretty good entry level pin.

THough I hate to say it this reel strikes me as one that needs a good hard slap & a bit of poking to get it to work properly.

That said at this price there are bound to be a few wrong un's that get past whatever passes for quality control !
Skippy

Very well put S-Kippy, it is certainly a reel I would recommend to anyone, especially newcomers to centrepin fishing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Interestingly the ratchet assembly on my colleagues MC seems to have been much improved.On my reel [bought pre Christmas] this is a wibbly wobbly ill fitting crock of sh*te made out of what looks like a bit of cut down coat hanger. I was tempted to offer to take his home tonight to "see if I can get it going properly" and swapping it for mine.

They clearly do vary a bit but still well worth a punt. Best of all...I dont care if I drop this or get it muddy.It will probably work better.

valleybrown

Reaction score
Hi everybody

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Loosened the centrepin screw off which improves the length of time it spins. Takes it up to 35-35 seconds. However the wibbly-wobbly spool gets worse.

Also taken the spool of and checked for any scratches/rub marks. All seems fine.

And very lightly oiled as advised. Still no improvement.

Looks like I'll have to take advantage of their excellent customer services. While I'm on to them I can tell them how impressed I am with my RDX2 Pellet/Waggler and order the RDX2 Barbel rod!