Marco Cortesi centrepin

guest61

Reaction score
You can't seriously be trying to tell us that all factories produce perfect and accurate threads and that all their cutters are sharpened to perfection and excellent and are consistent from factory to factory and country to country ...hehehe...be real.

I'm not. Those are your words.

However, being 'real' for a moment.

On the subject of problematic threads I think that the Indifferent Crucian makes a good point. On the MC reel one shouldn't be using adhesives to secure threads - I don't on mine.

I'm saying that machines will make threads more consistently than by hand. Machines need setting and from time to time the tooling will require changing - but machines 'do' repetition. (being 'real')

Even those really expensive Centre pins (mentioned many posts ago) feature components that are made on a lathe (again being 'real' - a machine)

Mark

watatoad

Reaction score
On the subject of problematic threads I think that the Indifferent Crucian makes a good point. On the MC reel one shouldn't be using adhesives to secure threads - I don't on mine.

I'm saying that machines will make threads more consistently than by hand. Machines need setting and from time to time the tooling will require changing - but machines 'do' repetition. (being 'real')

Even those really expensive Centre pins (mentioned many posts ago) feature components that are made on a lathe (again being 'real' - a machine)

Mark

I fully agree and it gets down not only to quality control but how much and how good that if any quality control exists, in so far as machines making threads more consistently than by hand I would certainly agree on a run or repetition. However all those with or planning to buy handmade reels may disagree. Then one has to consider the machines are run by men be that via a computer program or directly and engineers make mistakes, setting up any engineering machine can be an area where even basic mistakes are made.

But we drift away from the thread, I fully agree if whatever reel made by whoever is not machined and or put together properly it needs to go back, however the vast majority of anglers are not engineers and many are not mechanically minded so perhaps the experts on here would like to advise them if the engineers think I have got it all wrong.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S.Kippy and Watatoad, something is wrong if you cannot tighten your centre screws fully without the reel binding.

It sounds as though the collar behind the screw is somehow coming into contact with the bearing inner race, which it should not do. It should simply locate against the bearing outer body and stop it from moving out of its recess.

It might be that one of the bearings is not fully home in its recess, but that does seem unlikely as the bearing recesses are machined somewhat loose, with many people complainging that their bearing spins in its housing.

Like I said...this reel strikes me as one that needs a good whack to get it to work properly. In all other respects I'm perfectly happy with what I've got for my money. I expected far,far,less but having now had a go of 3 different MC's they do vary noticeably. For £30 I'm not bothered...for £200 I would be.

I'm a little surprised because [in theory] a machine ought to be capable of turning out bits to the same spec and there are not that many moving parts. Its still good value IMO and not being an engineer I do not shudder at the workmanship. If it works I'm happy...mine works.

valleybrown

Reaction score
Next you will be buying deerstalker hat, a waistcoat, a willow creel/basket and a pipe...hehehe

Hope you have a great time.

Had a great time. Haven't had a shave today and now looking on ebay for a deerstalker!

---------- Post added at 05:01 ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 ----------

Let us all know how it goes; that is my combo; and as I've still to try centre pin fishing looking forward to your reply.

Not sure who I dislike the most; Dragon Carp for the sublime Marco Cortesi or JW for his rod and DVD's! Yes I'm hooked on centrepins now. My wife will kill me.

Had a fantastic lazy sunny afternoon, creeping around the riverbank and sitting in the long grass (no doubt looking like a total pratt!) chucking out bait and watching the line gently peel off the reel. I was so entranced with watching the line come off the reel I must have missed loads of bites!

Not sure how a centrepin is supposed to perform but I was more than happy with the MC. Line pulled off easily and gently. Coped with reeling in the fish no probs.

I now need to use google to see how to cast properly!

At the moment I'm sitting at my desk practising, wiggling my thumb!

Only had one birdsnest and I blame the thistle for that! Had a right old mixture of fish. Chubb, trout and some small salmon. Must have taken the wrong turn off the Trent!

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Im new to the world of "pins" having got hold of one of these reels back in Jan of this year. Having used it for 6 months i thought id give my opinion for those that are bothered :)

Done some trotting for grayling but in the main ive used it for fishing the margins of stillwaters for crucians, tench etc.

First impressions the reel is light spins freely (timed 2mins) and is pleasing to the eye. It took me awhile to get used to casting and i have to admit that i got into far more tangles than i would using a fixed spool. Really enjoyed the "direct" control and "feel" when playing fish.

I have however had some problems with the reel, one evening whilst fishing for bits at a small pond there was an audiable "ping" and the ratchet fell out :eek:mg: still cant work out how this happened. Took the reel back to my local tackle shop and they happily exchanged it for a new one. The replacement reel only spun for half the time but the ratchet yielded line much "easier" than the original.

Overall im pleased with my pin and as others have said it is great value and a good entry level reel for newcomers to centrepin fishing. The MCs are not without there problems and there seems to be slight differences between models, but what do you expect for that price tag. Ive really enjoyed using the reel and im looking forward to giving it more use on the rivers later in the year. I think in the new year i will upgrade to a better model as i think "pin" fishing is for me, looks like the okuma range would be the obvious choice to go for next. Any suggestions from FM readers?

(a couple of pics of the MC in action, check out the worlds smallest tench :D)

005-14.jpg

211.jpg

watatoad

Reaction score
Great I am really glad it has even with a problem given you such pleasure and I hope that the replacement reel will also give you a great deal of pleasure and a lot of fun and good catches. Great post and congratulations on your catches, loved the record Tench...hehehe

chav professor

Reaction score
Bits pinging off, varaible quality control, etc etc etc....

sounds superficially good value for money, but you can see where the quality is if you buy a J W Young (which I guess would be considered an intermediately priced reel in comparison to the shed built jobs).

If you want a cheap good quality centre pin reel, i would look no further than a trudex, ambidex, mordex or Leeds.

can't wait to turn 40 this year - getting a J W Young Ray walton Rolling pin in silver........... Shiney:D

watatoad

Reaction score
Bits pinging off, varaible quality control, etc etc etc....

sounds superficially good value for money, but you can see where the quality is if you buy a J W Young (which I guess would be considered an intermediately priced reel in comparison to the shed built jobs).

If you want a cheap good quality centre pin reel, i would look no further than a trudex, ambidex, mordex or Leeds.

can't wait to turn 40 this year - getting a J W Young Ray walton Rolling pin in silver........... Shiney:D

I have had all the range of Youngs reels but these days I prefer the BJ lightweight or the very rare super lightweight for a more solid reel the Heritage is an excellent reel, did have a walton but sold it on. Still if that's your choice I hope it gives you lots of pleasure

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have had all the range of Youngs reels but these days I prefer the BJ lightweight or the very rare super lightweight for a more solid reel the Heritage is an excellent reel, did have a walton but sold it on. Still if that's your choice I hope it gives you lots of pleasure

[FONT=&quot]The BJ Lightweight does it for me – a great reel – I still like using my old Leeds from time to time, IMO these reels are so underrated.[/FONT]

valleybrown

Reaction score
Blimey guys, how do you manage to trot, set, play, land and take a photo?

I think I've got it bad...sat at home "polishing my Marco Cortesi" (should I be put on a register?) thinking about going up into the loft and getting grandads old cane rods down....

Thanks for all the advice to date.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nobodies mentioned an original Ariel yet. I've got one...never use it.

I have and use a 1915 12 spoke allcocks aerial and it's the best reel I have ! It releases line with the merest ripple of water and is a joy to use.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have and use a 1915 12 spoke allcocks aerial and it's the best reel I have ! It releases line with the merest ripple of water and is a joy to use.

That is a beautiful reel and I'm glad its still being used.Mine only gets used on special days on a Kennet Perfection...and I've not had a "cane & pin" day for ages.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That is a beautiful reel and I'm glad its still being used.Mine only gets used on special days on a Kennet Perfection...and I've not had a "cane & pin" day for ages.

I do like a lot of old reels but dislike cane rods new or old, much preferring carbon :).

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I'd rather save up a bit more coin and get an okuma. There's very often okuma centrepin reels for auction on fleebay and the sheffield (or any of them) blows a marco pin out the water...well imo it does.

I agree, initially picked up a Sheffield mint as new for £55.00, wouldn't soil my kit with one of those Martin Scorcese's or whatever the fek they call them.

The Pirate.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:44 ----------

sat at home "polishing my Marco Cortesi"

Hmmmnn, interesting, the Missus calls mine the 'Doctor', although self gratification is rarely needed in my house.

The Pirate.

ljm183

Reaction score
i bought a marco a few months ago, liked using it for lift method, then one of these came up for sale at a good price so bought it

jwyoung2.png

jwyoung.png

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i bought a marco a few months ago, liked using it for lift method, then one of these came up for sale at a good price so bought it

Now you've got a propper reel you can do the right thing and slam the marco against a wall to kill it off :eek: :D