Marsden's Aces V Young Chavs & Pikey's

captain carrott

Reaction score
so hows grahamski masbarovich coming along with his mega expensive superteam, i'm not kidding the lengths this bloke will go to to buy a win are unbelievable.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having had the awful realisation that all my serious match success was when I was a lot younger (faster reactions, ability to spot bites, stay awake for 5 hours and all that) just what sort of match record is Gav and Captain bringing to the contest? Match wins? Match records? Ability to catch fish in competition conditions? Club/league championships?

Better a has-been than a never-was? Or do we old 'uns just wish we were half our age again?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gav,

Then why are you all being so backwards in coming forwards?

Southern team:

PJ
Mark Wintle,
Neil Maidment
+ 1 or 2 to 'volunteer'

Any time any place young man - got the balls?

Simply put your 'Southern Team together and take us on - if we don't hear the starting whistle then I'm sure one of our nurses will :)

Leg 1 - Hampshire Avon at Britford
Leg 2 - Witherington Farm Lakes, Downton

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I am no match man mark,I am concerned for you guys falling asleep near water though .May i suggest you bring life jackets,safety first chaps.But i would like to pit my wits against the old guard.Peter I thought the midlands would be best so every one could attend.bewdley one day ,lake the next.that needs to be sorted out though,good point.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gav,

"I am no match man . . . . . "

Oh, believe me Gav, neither are we (MW, NM and myself) we just thought it might be a good 'wheeze' for us old 'uns to get out and stretch the legs, so to speak.

As to the venue, you have to remember that us old 'uns have a problem driving too far (away from the toilets that is) so a Southern and a Midlands, or Northern, leg is a very good idea.

I remember reading, a long time ago, that in matches you pay an entry fee and then something called 'optional pools' (whatever they are) but if we are going to try this match-thingy, then maybe the fee could go to the ACA and the 'optional pool' go to the winning angler or team?

Mark said:
"Or do we old 'uns just wish we were half our age again?"

Sh!te Mark, if I were half my age then I'd still get to fish with the 'seniors' - that is if I remember to go to the loo first, pack my glasses and get someone to tie a few hooks for me :-0

Now, where did I leave my Valium???????

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I also think their should be a fee for entry nothing too steep, but more a collection for a worthy cause.Ive heard of a charity sort of thing were it gets kids into fishing not sure what its called though ,but it struck accord to me.or the wheely boat trust ,im sure thers loads of good fishing related causes.Dont worry old chaps the young guns will whip up a few hook links ,they do pre stretched now you know.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"they do pre stretched now you know."

Upon my word, what will they think of next?

The young Mr. Marsden was telling me about this new fangled stuff called 'groundbait' that saves us mixing up clay balls and filling them with gentles too.
My oh my, how the fishing world has changed since our day.

I really think that you 'flatbellys' are on a real winner here - hopefully our pensions will stretch to the entry fees, after all, we've just got all that lovely winter heating allowance that is burning a hole in our cardigan pockets.

:)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
You stop rubbing it in owd fella i got grans you know,and there rolling in uncle joes at the momment.And less of the the flat bellies,i drink mans stuff real ale,not that fizzy rubbish for dieters.I wont even try explaining the boilie ,but it aint a sweet.ill show you on the day.

Deanos

Reaction score
?The young Mr. Marsden?

ha ha ha ha ha ?..ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!

Marsding is 78 if he is a flipping day!
He looks like old Berlusconi with all that dyed hair and stuff!
The truth is out there, when he goes for a leek, and it takes him half an hour to get out of his surgical corset we will see who is laughing then Peter eh! Eh! EH!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hehehehehe, watch out Gav!
I happen to know a little bit about the history of PJ, MW and NM, crafty old buggers and don't take Ron "the fig" Clay lightly either ;)

Can we make the age limit 45 please? I really want to fish with the young uns!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
You dont worry young steve,I think it is your right as one of the founder members of the young guns club to be accepted with open arms into our camp. Who do they think they are putting such pressure on a prestigious and cunning group of rod pod holders such as us.your in make no bones about it .your beer tent sounds like a good hq.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hehehe We will have to have clear heads Gav to beat that lot!

Peter, you've shown another side of yourself, I can't believe you played that card :)

I hope you know what your leading us into Gav! Or should I say "captain"?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Oh im not sure ive got the experiance to be captain steve but ill sure get us boys fired up for it.We might also pay you a visit neil just to commiserate with you.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Can't see Ron making it into the team - all those figs and he'll spend all day in the loo...

A word of caution for Gav though. Take a look at the match results in AT - see how many times you spot someone winning using boilies. Not knocking them 'cos they work but match conditions is an entirely different matter. Don't forget it's one rod only in matches.

One thing that very experienced match anglers know is how to stop the competition catching whilst still catching themselves.

Stuart J

Reaction score
"Take a look at the match results in AT - see how many times you spot someone winning using boilies. Not knocking them 'cos they work but match conditions is an entirely different matter."

Depends on the water Mark.!

P

paul williams 2

Gav.....i think the Bewdley area would indeed be a fine venue, i have spent a lot of my fishing life around there.......my back window over looks the Severn valley in that area.

Wendy...if you insist on siding with the Chavs there will be no more stories when you are bored and i won't come and rescue you!! ;)~

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
paul do you know anything about the mallards guest house come tackle shop. rooms are 15 pound per person and it holds 40 sounds like a good base camp.

P

paul williams 2

I understand anyone under 40 yrs of age is banned from Mallards because they are so miserable and shy away from the roof truss walking competions after 10 ales......