My own personal revulsion

Deanos

Reaction score
There are loads of them in Yorkshire Skippy!

I am not going to reveal where the biggest are in case the "circus" comes to town.

Once all the barbel die out there will be millions of them...MILLIONS!

Nature is very cruel isn't it!

Along the way some mutated into big ugly things that live on luncheon meat, and make loads of blokes leather each other over who is in charge of all barbel of the universe!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Must have been a female then S.M., The male would have fed up to record size before it came back for your approval.

S.M. you silly bugger it was Sandra not Stan!!!

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I would love to have the money to own a lake, stock it with a number of carp over 60lbs and open the water on a day ticket basis.

Rules would be as follows:

1: No night fishing.

2: Only one rod allowed per angler.

3: No boilies

4: No pellets

5: No bolt rigs.

How wonder if anyone would want to fish the water and if did, how would they tackle it?</blockquote>

Mr Clay, what has all that to do with naming fish??.

Or would the 60lb carp have names?.

Bibby, Monk, Marsden?.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ron, that's certainly an empty gesture, you know full well no ultra cult carper would fish the place with the rules you impose. Christ one rod would see most in a state of near apoplexy. Never mind the boilie, pellets and no night fishing.

Morespiders asked the question, now I repeat ''what's that got to do with named fish''?

Philip

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I would love to have the money to own a lake, stock it with a number of carp over 60lbs and open the water on a day ticket basis.

Rules would be as follows:

1: No night fishing.

2: Only one rod allowed per angler.

3: No boilies

4: No pellets

5: No bolt rigs.

How wonder if anyone would want to fish the water and if did, how would they tackle it?</blockquote>

What and NOT fly only? ....Are you ill ? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Trust me if it had a 60lb carp people would fish it regardless of the rules. As for the original question, I think there have been a few threads on this. My own take on it is that I don’t particularly like names but they can serve a purpose for example keeping an eye on the growth of individual fish. Also I think in some cases it can give fish a sense of personality...Yatelys Bazil for example...it would not seem the same if it was just "the big one" for example. Also there is a sense that this is a new thing started by excessive modern anglers but people were calling fish names way back… I am sure there was a well known angler back in the 50s who called a Carp Macaroni or spaghetti or something like that/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>S.Kippy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Or someone called Morespiders ?</blockquote>
Or a kangeroo called Skippy with a Stradic up it's bottom!/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If people enjoy fishing for named; carp, barbel or whatever then I don't see it as a problem. Whatever floats your boat. This is definitely not for me.

However, indirectly it does benefit us all. The anti's can't have it all way.If catching fish is as stressful and detrimental to the welfare of the fish as they claim, then how can the same fish be caught repeatedly and be on the bank so many times that they are in danger of developing lungs, yet, with no apparent signs of damage.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

May be, just may be, a little bit of sanity is creeping back into big fish angling.

From Carp-Talk Xtra.

This week all three angling weeklies – Angling Times, Angler’s Mail and Carp-Talk – had as one of their lead stories the capture of Mid-Kent’s Two Tone. However, Carp-Talk didn’t have a photograph of the catch and its report was much smaller than those found it its two competitors’ publications. The reason Carp-Talk didn’t have a photo was quite simply because the captor asked for between £200-300 to supply one and, frankly, Carp-Talk didn’t think it was worth it. In fairness Two Tone doesn’t look much different at 67lb 14oz than when it was last caught, 14oz smaller, four months ago. And it’s been caught and reported enough times for most carp anglers to recognize it immediately. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic fish from a well-run and deserving venue, but for the vast majority of Carp-Talk readers we believe its capture yet again is a bit academic. For most carp anglers they are as likely to fish for Two Tone as they are to get a ticket for the next Space Shuttle. If they are never going to fish for Two Tone, is it possible that they are much more likely to relate to carp they will be fishing for? And won’t this mainly be in their own locality? So I suppose it’s a question of finding the right balance in news reporting. Yes, it’s a new carp record but the fact that it’s Two Tone is hardly a surprise. Does it deserve two pages, thereby reducing the amount of other news, and are we in danger of over-hyping repeat captures? There’s no getting away from the fact that the vast majority of us are ‘weight-obsessed’ in our fishing – but as **** Walker once said (and he did hold the record for two different species) "a record fish is simply a biological freak." Maybe the biggest isn’t necessarily always the best?

Just hope I haven't broken any copyright, Kevin.

You can get Carp-Talk Xtradelivered to your desktop, and its free.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ray, there's no doubt the analogy you make has its point. But isn't it more a testimony to the resilience of certain species. And with regards to no apparant damage , I think you're a bit off centre.

Like you I would avoid such venues like the plague, but for christs sake I need some mystery, some magic- don't we all?

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

...a bit early yet Matt /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Jim, It was not **** or Pete Thomas who labeled the record carp. It was in fact one of the staff at the London aquarium. Pete Thomas with tongue firmly in cheekrefered to the fish as 'Ravioli' to irritate **** i believe.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I thought it was something like that - ****ymint didn't have the IQ to come up with the name - he would have just called it Betty

Reaction score
Who is this **** Walker of whom you talk?

I am waitng for the barbel circus to leave the Dane around Fern and Dixon Farms (work that one out!) so I can return for my quest to catch Maurice the Minnow at his optimum wait...(three weeks between bites!!) /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

I have heard of Roy Walker...are they related?

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Thanks Derek, I stand corrected. I wasnt aware that it was the zoo staff that named her Clarissa but Pete Thomasdid give aher a name of sortseven if it was to wind up Mr Walker