My own personal revulsion

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Spiders

Long wait but I knew you'd have it ! You will be pleased to know the Stradic is OFF because its just too damn white.The 300'sI willhand in at the local police station.Nasty bluddy things.

Anyway...I am now planningmy winter gudjin campaign.I have unconfirmed reports of a 3 and a half ouncer called "No Lips" only 4 hours drive away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHY6n907OE

I've had to put up with that all my life so dont you start !

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks Frothyand Yeah it was something like that…I recon Yately had some of the best names…Bazil, Arfur (tail), Heather (da leather) the big orange(no mistaking him), and so on, it gives them a personality and when you consider some of these fish were knocking on what …30 ? 40 ? years old and gave countless anglers pleasure then why not name em !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The best thing for Skippy is a .243 Hornady fired from a Wincester with scope!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

yateley in the 80's and 90's really was the stuff of legends..... proper fish and proper angling.

shame it will never be the same again.....

F

Frothey

depends on what you want fishing to be, serious men sitting around seriously, or men serious about their fishing and enjoying themselves /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

funny thing is that its the ones that enjoy themselves that seem to catch the most - Richie, Hutchy, Maylin, Allcott,etc,etc,etc

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
O.K. then Frothy a straight question, would you say with hindsight that the pressure on these top waters was as intense from the numbers perspective as it is today? And always bearing in mind some of the newer waters are being stocked with large fish the sizes of which are already known to anglers before they even wet a line. The only mystery left it seems to me is, will it be one of the thirties, forties- enough you get the picture.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I have laught for all the years i can remember at anglers giving fish names. The barbel thing followed the Carp boys and many of the barbel boys today are ex carp anglers.

I laught even more when one carp angler told me that, giving fish a name made it easy to I D the fish, when i said that you can ID carp and other fish by the markings on it he seemed a bit upset. So to rub it in a bit more, i asked him how he knew what fish he had caught, as it doesnt have a name tag, he replied, well by the markings.

There i rest my case, Brainless.

The other thing that also Pee's me off is giving swims names.

I have the other half of Ecric the half a Bee, it's name is Eric.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ray, looks like you and I and a handfull of others vs the world of angling with regard to the naming of fish. I never wanted to know the top weight of any species in any body of water I have ever fished. All I ever needed to know was that there were some good fish present, the rest as they say was up to me. And that's the magic of fishing for me!!

F

Frothey

brainless? But Ray, ok you could describe the fish, but most people would fall asleep before you finished describing the missing scales on the barbel you've just caught....

same as swim names, its just easier to say "the oaks" rather than "the thirteenth swim along, with the reeds in the margins and a bar at 30yds out - you know, the one with the large Quercus robur in it"!

pressure on the "top" waters has pretty much always been there for the last 20 years or so, a lot of waters had "residents" on them in the late 80's and no chance of getting a swim from friday midday onwards.....

i'll say it again, i just can't get that worked up about it......

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Frothy,''can't get worked up about it'' why should you? after all the thread title makes it crystal clear. ''It's my personal view''. I put it on simply to establish why those who do subscribe to fish naming explain why.

My credo is a simple one, I try wherever possible not to intrude on anyone elses fishing. I would never jump a swim discovered by anyone else knowingly. I go out to enjoy myself and behave accordingly. That we don't share the same viewpoint is not so important in the scheme of things, but the debate has been interesting.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Going back to Kevin Clifford's statement on the the latest capture of "Two Tone".

He is dead right!

Kevin is one of the big fish world's most respected commentators. And it was quite right that the story be relegated to a small part of his newspaper.

I hate to say it but Two Tone has become a Raddled Old Tart!

And the fact that the captor wanted £300 or thereabouts for giving Carp Talk permission to publish the photo is despicable in the extreme.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
I got berated on another site for sharing my loathing of naming fish- anthropomorphism, it's an insult to nature's creations to give them dumb names, isn't it??

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Frothey,

You said it yourself "thirteenth swim along" all you need is numbers.

Take someone going to a new water, now where the hell is the shades swim, if it is a number it's easy.

Like your good self i dont get worked up about it, i just think FFS mate get a life, but thats what floats some anglers boats, but not mine.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Derek,

I am happy to be one of the few, just like yourself.

Fishing for me is about enjoying myself, i am happy to try and catch the biggest, Tench, Carp, Bream etc that a water may hold, or Trot a float catching what evermaybe in the swim.

I dont even mind blanking, as long as i have enjoyed the day

F

Frothey

Derek - unless you are fishing a totally virgin, untouched water, you are always going to be in a swim discovered by someone else....

Ray - isn't "the oaks" a more inspiring name for a swim than "swim 13"? and calling it number thirteen is still naming it..... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
hahahaha, 13 is unlucky and what if there are no Oaks/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif.

each to their own as they say.

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The best thing for Skippy is a .243 Hornady fired from a Wincester with scope!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
Kipper, sorry Skippy, he's trying to shoot you now.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't want to party crash especially because discussions like this bore me, sorry Derek. There are those that like to name swims and fish and those that hate it. Bit like barbs and barbless and ne'r the twain shall meet.

However, just to piont out that it's not just carp fishing. Our old club had various named swims, the Point, the Chestnuts, Sandy Bay, the boards, Copper beech, and so on. Once you knew the swims you'd immediately knows when soemone was talking about them rather than peg 56 and then someone asking which that was, what field, how many yards along etc.

As for fish names, I've never really been a fan of it, but one barbel came out fairly regularly at one time and after a while instead of saying "... the one with the top of it's tail missing." it became Topper./members/images/6812/Gallery/McMad1_0.jpg

Here she is with Colin McMad.