New look Angling Times

T

The Monk

The EA want to know where all these stones are coming from, i think they might want a word with you too Terry

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

My Lord, surely it should be "Catman and lightweight Bobbin" ?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Good point old chap but it's Matts story - hope I've not spilled the beans and spoilt the plot too much

Tally Ho

G

Gary Knowles

"Has anyone read Gary's piece"

Oi Matt, dont turn this onto me...its you were all discussing here ;o)

captain carrott

Reaction score
"Has anyone read Gary's piece"

i've read it but i had to turn the lights out because of that scary bloke holding the big pike, gave me night mares it did.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I would have been in my teens when I read Walker and Stone - and only in AT. I remember it being 32p. Somewhere in the mid 80's.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

AT was 4d in 1953!

I was a member of "The Kingfisher Guild."

Editor was Colin Willock and Editorial Director was Bernard Venables.

Oh yes I remember it well!

hugh middleton

Reaction score
So do I Ron. A card on every birthday and certificates for specimen fish.

Wonder how many other Kingfisher Guild members are about?

G

Gary Knowles

I was a member of the guild as well Ron...

Gathered about a dozen certificates, no idea what I did with my little plastic wallet though !

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
"What may not be realised by some is that Mark Wintle and Matt have met..."

What may not be realised is that Mark Wintle and Bob have met. That's why I'm surprised he had a cheap pop at both Matt and the Times.

If Mark is struggling for something to write about, or anyone else who spouts the things ain't what they used to be misinformed drivel, why don't they take one copy of Angling Times from each of the past five decades (all from the same week/month) and do an editorial comparison. I believe that all back issues of the paper are archived by AT (Greg...?).

Let's back up the argument with facts, once and for all.

I reckon it will come as quite a surprise to some when they compare how 'good' it was in the sixties with how 'bad' it is in the noughties.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

You weren't in the Kingfisher Guild then Bob, I take it?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

To be as fair as possible, the old Angling Times of the 50s and 60s was nothing like the paper of today. And if you compare a quality 50s national newspaper with those of today you will see a massive difference.

Angling Times was smaller, with much less advertising. There were sections covering game and sea angling in addition to coarse. It was produced in black and white on ordinary newsprint and the photos often looked very poor indeed. Articles were written by various freelance contributors, in addition to the regular columns of **** Walker, Bernard Venables, Hugh Stoker on Sea, and people like Arthur Oglesby and Tim Wilson on game. For a period, Fred J Taylor had a regular column, There was a whole section devoted to river reports up and down the country.

The main difference was that AT invited any writer to contribute articles, and this they did on a whole range of subjects. Then EMAP launched that great magazine: "Fishing". This was done to accomodate all the excellent, in depth articles that AT did not have space for. It was an excellent magazine with superb contributions from a whole "brotherhood" of hitherto unknown angling writers. The letters page in this mag was vibrant and also full of controversy.

They also paid quite well for articles. I must have done 6 or 7 centre-spread features for AT in the 60s. I forget the amount of money I got but it was almost the same as a good weekly wage. But in those days, AT had a very large circulation, something like 300,000 a week I believe.

Then along came Angler's Mail, on green newsprint! Anyone remember that?

The editor was John Ingham

I did a great deal of stuff for AM in those days. Then along came Fred J Taylor who began a regular column, as did Bill Keal and Peter Stone.

Yes, in those days, things were different.

But were they better or worse? That is a matter of opinion.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Ron pn a centre spread - now that I'd pay money to see - did you keep your hat on or bare all Ron?

Tally Ho

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It's something we cannot help Graham as we get older. But in those days we had something we have lost today and that was boundless energy.

I wore a whole range of hats in those days Melud. I have a copy right here of one of my AT centre spreads. I am wearing a little woolly bobble hat...... :eek:)

But I never wore a baseball cap.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And do you want to know the truth?

Well I remember my old mate Steve Crawshaw being very concerned with the "image" he projected, and by crikey old Steve could churn out the articles and features too.

When I photographed Steve, he always told me I had to take the shot from his best side!

At one stage, the Old Sheffield Newspapers Angling Telegraph was called by an aquantance of mine - "The Crawshaw and Clay Gazette". By crikey did we churn out stuff for that publication?