Nostalgia, is it a thing of the past?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I dont miss the rods & reels.They were wonderful at the time but I couldn't seriously use a 10 foot whole cane "bottom rod" and Monarch 66 no

What I really miss my firstproper keepnet.5 ft long,bright yellow cord with metal rings marinated in linseed oil.God,I how miss that smell.

Ginger

Reaction score
I`ve still got a pair of Bruce & Walker Mk 1V`s, they were the nuts in their day.

Used 300`s or 410`s with them.

Not just used for Carp fishing, but used for Pike and Barbel aswell.

Does anyone remember the Truspin reels, a pinky red colour and sold for about 14 shillings in the early to mid sixties ?

slime monster

Reaction score
My ist match rod in carbon was a diawa procaster ,on reaching the severn i threaded the line and pulled on it to admire the curve in this new fangled material ..it snapped at the tip, ...glass for another 6 months before i purchased another carbon.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ginger,

Yes, I remember those reels, and the countless weeks-worth of pocket money wasted on line that they chewed-up.

I now own a pair of Mk IV Carp rods that one day I will be taking to Redmire to fish properly, but only if I can book the 'magic' week in September.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"..it snapped at the tip, ..."

Well Slimey-one, you know what they say,:

"Life is a bitch, then you marry one, then you die, and in between . . . . . . . . you pay taxes!

'cept of course in my case . . . . . you marry 3!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

My ist match rod in carbon was a diawa procaster ,on reaching the severn i threaded the line and pulled on it to admire the curve in this new fangled material ..it snapped at the tip, ...glass for another 6 months before i purchased another carbon.</blockquote>

Wary of the same I resisted buying a carbon rod & soldiered on manfully with my Abu Feralite Mk 7& 300 for some time...until I finally took the plunge and discovered what I'd been missing.Normark 12 footer.Brilliant then & still not bad today.

Still got my matching pair of Marco Peter Stone leger rods and a B&W CTM .Dont use them but I'll never let them go.Too many memories.

Ginger

Reaction score
After the Truspin i had the Intrepid Black Prince followed by the more expensive Prince Regent.

Lost loads of bail arms on all three reels ( the bloody things used to ping off ) but my dear old Dad used to replace them with ones made from bicycle wheel spokes.

Those were the days.

Fred what have you started here ?

Ginger

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the ABU Counterstrike rod.

It had a screw off bung at the butt end and was supplied with weights that could be added to balance the rod with reel attached.

Total crap, one of my mates was unfortunate enough to have bought one of these, Counterstrike, we used to call him C***struck.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Oh Fred, what have you started!

S.Kippy raves about the Abu Feralite andhis 300 and he's right to do so. I was in my late 20s when I treated myself to the same combo. I was stationed in Chatham at the time and boy did that rod and reel account for some big bags of chub and bream on the Medway around Yalding and Barming. My first rod was a three sectioned whole cane job with fibreglass tip. Manufacturers name unknown but I do remember the Intrepid Black Prince I had. I also remember buying packets of stewed wheat from my local tackle shop, Slingsby's in Sleaford, for catching roach on the local drains.

I think the nostalgia thing is also about the way WE were in those days - not just the tackle. Anglers seemed to have more time for each other then and it was common for complete strangers to natter on the bank about baits and tactics etc. Nowadays if you ask an angler how he's doing you are just as likely to get a very curt F*** Off.

Perhaps by handling the tackle we used we can somehow transport ourselves back in time toan agewhen we seemed to be a lot more relaxed about our fishing.

F

Fred Bonney

Ah, handling your tackle, now that is an experience!!

Sorryto all those I've transported back to a better time.Reminding them of what they had rather, than what they're missing.

I think we were all more of a family in those times, today too many are now selfish individuals, who probably haven't even the ability to talk to another person,so the easy way out is to give the "curt" response.

I'm also glad I've started this up, because I now realise I'm not the only one,who thinks of the better times, when friends were indeed proper friends, and not just out for one upmanship.

Anyway, I was trying to remember if I had the IntrepidElite, I think I did, it just didn't give me specific memories, so not on my list to lookout for.

I just handled my tackle by the way, my Edgar Sealey Black Arrow, blimey that is heavy!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
As you know Fred I own and use a lot of 'vintage' tackle and have done for a number of years.

To me using vintage tackle (no jokes please) takes me back to a much more kind and gentler time in my life where the only worries were things like; where to get my bait, how to get to the river and would I have enough Tizer to last the whole day.

To watch a well-shotted quill float trotting down the stream baited with one or two of my sixpennyworth of maggots bought from old Ma Bennets tackle shop, that smelled of linseed oil and ammonia, was a great joy.

F

Fred Bonney

Some of you seem to have a fettish associated with linseed oil, I suggest you startpolishing your ...................cricket bats.

As for ammonia Peter, no comment, other than it must be an age thing/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ginger

Reaction score
My first rod ( i was 5 or 6 at the time ) was a seven foot, two piece, solid glass rod.

White in colour with red whipping, made by Milbro. ( another name from the past ).

After that came another seven footer, also two piece but this time hollow glass, can`t remember the make though.

Then moved up to twelve and thirteen footers, also glass rods, Edgar Sealey Blue match was one rod i used for many years, used to think it was the business.

Many years later, probably mid to late seventies i bought what i think was the first Boron rod to come onto the market, made by Daiwa, sold for £130.00 at the time, serious money in those days.

I`ve still got it in my shed along with all my old Mitchell reels, many still in their original black and red plastic cases.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

An old Hardy CC De France split cane fly rod with a Kingfisher dressed silk HDH line, tapered gut cast and a Wickhams Fancy bought from Walter Dawson of Holme Lane in Sheffield.

Then a 6 pence bus ride to the shores of Ladybower Reservoir.

And those little brown trout on the dry fly as evening came.

Magic!!