Nostalgia, is it a thing of the past?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Steady on.....I never raved about the Abu,I just had one.I was much more taken with my B&W CTM though my mate swore by his B&W "Flyer".

Therods that take me back though are

1.A Rodrill Yellowhammer.12ft 3 piece glass and the first "proper" rod I had that wasn't cane.They did a whole range all named after birds...I remember the Dipper but not theothers.

2.A B James 11ft Avon which I got off Jack Harrigan.This was one they'd sent to Jack to test before they marketed it.The radical bit being it was 11 ft as opposed to the traditional 10ft.He lent it to me foir a trip to the Royalty and when I took it back said I could have it for {i think] about £8.I loved that rod.

Skippy

GreyFox

Reaction score
Sealey Blue match, Abu Mark 5 Zoom both twinned with Abu 506s. Best of all, an East Anglian Rod Company 9foot Auger Quivertip rod -brilliant piece of tackle that latter and I dearly wished I still had it together with the trusty Cardinal 44 Express it paired.

slime monster

Reaction score
THE original shakespeare sigma wand ..fantastic glass canal tip rod ,rodrill yes skippy lovely rods of their time i had three ..cant remember the names but wagtail may have been one ,another was silver and had the fastest taper on a rod you could imagine to a spliced tip around an inch diameter at the butt end.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Anyone remember how much intrepid black princes were

S-Kippy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>THE original shakespeare sigma wand ..fantastic glass canal tip rod ,rodrill yes skippy lovely rods of their time i had three ..cant remember the names but wagtail may have been one ,another was silver and had the fastest taper on a rod you could imagine to a spliced tip around an inch diameter at the butt end.</blockquote>

Slimey

Rodrill Wagtail...of course.I agree the original Sigma Wand was a belter on the cut.Won me no end of matches in winter.Still got mine,still use it but I waggled a Shakey Mach 3 10 ft wand t'other day and it is sublime.

Rickrod : 21/6 if memory serves me correct.I never had one but my brother did.

Apollo Taperflash anybody ?

Skippy

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Intrepid Black Prince. One of my first, dare I say it, 'proper' reels. Saw one at a car boot sale a little while ago. In its original box and for a tenner. Wish I'd bought it - not sure why though!! Is that what nostalgia is?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

What about the Peter Wheat Avonmaster .... A green fibreglass rod

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
S.Kippy,

Taperflash?

Yes, one of my first 'proper' rods.

I have a couple of them now having got lucky in an auction in London, and another on e-bay some time ago.

The e-bay one is in excellent, near mint, condition. I took it for an 'airing' at the back end of last season. Grand fun!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>What about the Peter Wheat Avonmaster .... A green fibreglass rod</blockquote>
Stop it.....I so wanted one of them but couldn't afford it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The first "proper" rod I ever owned was a 9 foot 3 piece "Boys Rod" in tonkin cane with a lancewood top. This top soon broke and was replaced with one of solid glass.

I also about the same time had a tank ariel which caught all sorts of things.

Then my Grandfather gave me a 3 piece 11 foot Sheffield style "bottom rod" built about 1921. It had a composite top of cane and split cane. The split cane bit was of 4 sections, not 6. It was never designed for hoiking tench which broke the top section. I replaced it with one of spit cane.

By1959 I was earning money so I went through a succession of rods in whole tonkin cane, spit cane and Sharpes Scotty impregnated fly rods. I started making rods for customers, although my mother didn't fancy the cork dust.If I think back, if I would have had a proper workshop, I could have made a decent living from rod building.