OBESITY

F

Frothey

tin mining's a dangerous job....

if you are going to do that comparison, you have to also take into account the available medical care.....our "average" modern diet is probably worse and people are far more sedintery, yet people live longer.... people being cured of things that killed not so long ago.

F

Frothey

and we're talking fish, not humans, which have a completely different dietary need and metabolism.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Who said 'oggies' were unhealthy then? Finest meal you can have if you can find the right oggie maker, so much better than them northern fat filled pies for sure. There used to be a guy selling oggies outside the dockyard gate in Plymouth many eons ago and they were the best oggies I have ever tasted in my whole life, wonderful works of art they were and renowned throughout the Royal Navy. Cost a shilling each if I remember right, I know they were expensive?

Protein in maggots? they are almost 100% protein.

F

Fred Bonney

So,mixed opinions then?
Can anybody identify when our fish suddenly became bigger.
The record Barbel for instance stood at 14lb 6ozs for 40 years until the early 90's.10 or so, years later,the 22lb fish arrived!
Water quality improvement then?
That must be the answer.
But,isn't it right,that some of our water is so clean that,some insect and plant life, is no longer in our rivers.
What about the small rivers then,not all rivers are powerful,like the Trent and Severn.
The Wensum,Gt Ouse and Kennet are all producing bigger fish. Do,anglers baits get washed through?
Do the fish get as much exercise?

Not a which hunt against pellets,just questions I thought, needed an answer.

I seem to remember,that hempseed was banned on some rivers,the Hampshire Avon being one.(1970's?)
The reason for this?
It was pileing up into stinking rotting masses ,on the quieter bits of the river.
Does this happen with pellets?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think the reasons are varied as to the rise in size's. More baits, global warming even the reduced flows(not as much energy expelled).

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

?Anglers of our generation can be quite happy fishing the more traditional baits. I am myself.?
What hypocrisy!!!!!!!
Didn?t see much of the traditional baits being used this summer when you bream fished with me!
Pellet on the hook and a pellet stocking. Boillie on the other!
Out of the 6 or so sessions you did with me you brought maggot twice!
The Ribble chubbing twice??.. pellet??.twice!

So you walk the talk do you?

F

Fred Bonney

Is that all you have to say about the subject, Mr Hackett?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I used Maggot or maggot and worm cock. I think you have me confused with somebody else.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Perhaps it has something to do with all the female oestrogen going into our rivers that accounts for the extra growth as well as the adverse effect on their sex. It would be interesting if there were surveys done as to how all this extra hormone affects their lifespan as well.

Then of course there are the signals that fish love so much, this is bound to be one of the primary causes of increased growth surely. Do rivers like the Severn, Teme, Warks Avon or Wye that don't suffer the signal problem produce higher weighted fish, not in my experience they don't.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The ribble is though Graham. And I don't think there are crayfish in there.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The stamp of chub that were stocked in parts of the Dane years ago have stayed around their predicted weight of 4.5 lbs. No crayfish.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
They have only climed a few pounds on the Ribble. Not on the scale of the southern rivers. This could also be down to the loss of the silverfish to the blackdeath. Therby giving more natural food left in the river. Along of with the changes i mentioned earlier.

P

Mr Bonney the discussion is a facile one and has been discussed several times before on here under many titles.
There won?t be one single reason and answer it will be a combination of the ones mentioned, and many more that haven?t.

No seals at Collingham yet? Only a matter of time, then you?ll do some bleating!

P

As per usual the Angel of death is suffering geriatric amnesia!

F

Fred Bonney

You're a miserable ol' bugger Mr Hackett.
Tell us the ones that haven't, then.

I don't fish The Circus and never have thankyou.
As for seals,too far away from the sea, and even if they were, we wouldn't make so much fuss about it.
They would be dealt with.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Here Here Fred.
By the way Fred. He has sloped back onto the seal thread. With his veery colourfull tail feathers between his legs.

P

Tidal section of any river is never to far away from the sea for any seal.
And how would they be dealt with?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You tell us, you're the expert in these matters.
And will you please stop corrupting every thread you go on. This was a sensible discussion before you came onto it.

Back to the subject in question.

F

Fred Bonney

There is far too much food for seals in the Humber, before they even reach the Trent.
They would be dealt with expertly, and quietly.