Own worst enemy

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe you are carefull and take them home with you Jeff. Maybe it's a different situation where I live, but we couldn't have a us and them attitude, as regards taking cans on the water. That is the first thing real offenders would jump on, (you let him get away with it last week) It would have to be a total ban for everybody. I take a flask.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I don't belong to any syndicates yet I find very little rubbish on the waters I fish.

Last summer i visited the water i used to fish a lot as a kid and the place now has a serious litter problem even though it is only lightly fished. The problem has probably got out of control because the water is not really baliffed any more.

People are far more likley to leave litter at a water that is already has litter. People won't repect a water that is not being looked after. You have to break the cycle and the only way to do that is to clear up the water and implenmet a no tolerance policy.

S

swordsy

The stretches I fish on the trent also get trashed and this is usually done by the anglers I call the "specimen morons" they walk the banks and find out which areas are fishing well and then as sunset(they would have arrived earlier but they didnt get out of bed till six) arrives they fall on the place like a horde of locusts, poncing bait and tackle and when they leave in the morning its just an absolute shit hole. all that was once peaceful and beautiful is soiled with stella cans and meat tins the place has rats crawling through the trash and when I arrive on the bank full of love for the river and her surroundings......all I really wish from the absolute bottom of my heart and I really do mean this because I Really do love the Trent........"WHY DONT THEY JUST CURL UP IN A FU***** CORNER AND DIE!!"

Now that may sound extreme but one day one of the thick twats is going to contract weills disease off the rats that have grown fat on his left overs and instead of doing us all a favour and croaking, he will attempt sue the controlling club, local council or the EA for about half a million quid and with the help of his legal-aid parasite of a lawyer he will win his case and then the filthy bas**** will be able to spend as much time reducing beautifull river side scenes into something that looks like a council landfill site for the rest of his long, brain dead, burberry cap and big gold chain wearing life!

YES......I AM BITTER :O(

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree totally with your last sentence Andy.

But it is no good at all if the working parties are going back each month to clear more of the rubbish up. It might keep the club happy, but it does not solve the problem.
As you said, once a water has been cleaned, it is then up to the club to stamp down hard on anybody sat with litter in their swims.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Swordsy mate, and well put. I have even rollocked some anglers for sitting amongst beer cans, and food takeaway bags. All they said was, it does'nt bother us mate. Bloody scumbags.
They don't have the intelligence to think about well's disease. And this particular water is well renowned for haveing a rat problem.

S

swordsy

Baz
They really are thick as shite arnt they?
who in their right minds wants to sit in a pile of crap surrounded with rats?

sods law says it will be you or me that get weills though!

P

Phil Hackett 2

God I could write a weighty book on this subject?. Litter in society.

Litter is endemic in British society, angling represents the whole cross section of that society, ergo it follows that angling has litterlouts within its midst. Being the largest participant sport in the nation, again it follows that it will have what seems to be more than any other sport. Whether this is true on a pro-rata basis is hard to tell and no one has ever looked at it from study point of view that I know of.

From a societal point of view, the only way we will change the culture is when we give what is considered waste by the individual a ?value.? Be that value money back on bottles, paper, cans, etc, the worth of repair, or penalties for the discarding of it.

Those who have said it?s no use fining people for discarding litter, they don?t pay the fines. I?ve got news for you, as from the 1st of Jan this year the courts and councils now have the power to seize goods off those who wantonly refuse to pay fines & fixed penalties notices.
It?s to be seen now whether they use these powers??????

A practical suggestion to those seeing litter problems on council owned free stretch of water and private ones to some extent is to contact the local council, and ask them to put you through to the litter wardens office. Inform them there is a problem in that area and ask them to pay a visit in a low-key way. Once it gets on their ?hotspot? list, it?s likely to get frequent visits until the problem cesses. On private land the council can serve the owner with a Visual Disamenity Notice to have the land/site cleaned up.

You could go even one step further and become a Community Environmental Guardian, a scheme that this Govt are pushing for all Councils to adopt. This scheme was pioneered in Manchester and the ward I live in, and has been so successful that the Govt. has picked it up to be adopted nationally. I don?t give praise to MCC very often, as generally they?re siht at most things they do, but this one they?ve got right, and in my ward an officer backing up CEG who is very proactive.

For those who don?t know, M/C won the infamous title of being the dirtiest in the UK for about 3 years running. The last time being a year before Com Games. So they had to do something about it because the Global Spin, and I do mean Global, didn?t fit the image and the awards they infamously won.

At Club level they have to bring in and police heavily the rule that you are responsible for all the litter in the peg you are fishing. If the bailiff comes round and there?s litter in it, he books you. No excuses, no exceptions!
Prince Albert have this rule and have had for the nearly thirty years that I?ve been a member, and it works, their waters are the cleanest I?ve ever seen. They expel some members each year who fail to adhere to this rule. And just for Jeff, they also have a no tin rule, which also works.

F

Frothey

walk down deal beach when the cod (that is THE cod as theres only 1 left!) are in......bait papers/ squid boxes all over the place. some try to bury them, still, get lots of free bait that way.....

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Still can't agree with the tin rule. They're not dangerous and they're only as dirty as crisp bags, sandwich wrappers, groundbait bags...... If you ban tins, you should ban every other form of potential waste, which would mean that we couldn't take anything to eat at all, nor hook packets, groundbait bags, anything that can be thrown away when empty.

Perhaps why angling is worse than most sports is that with other sports, you're not at it long enough to need refreshment whilst doing it. Did I say that? Football, when the local games have been played on our rec the litter that's left after is indescribable. Far worse than I photographed from those swims, but I did photograph it one day and sent it to the Council who owns the rec. Nothing!

What Andy says is true. People are far less likely to drop litter in an area where there is no litter. Where there is litter, they will drop more. This was the case in New York (home of zero tolerance) where they just kept shifting the rubbish, scrap cars, druggies needles, graffiti and any other crap and they ended up with nice neighbourhoods that the public were proud of.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Still can't agree with the tin rule. They're not dangerous"

What rubbish!!

On the Severn I have seen a cow with a sharp luncheon meat can embedded in its foot --I went to tell the farmer,who had to call the vet to get him to remove it

the main reasons cans are banned is usually because the farmer/landowner has requested it ,as it is a cause of potential damage to cattle and livestock

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure I'd agree with you Jeff regarding tin cans.
My club have had a tin can ban for a couple of years but the reason at the time was not on the grounds of litter (although a bonus) but on the grounds that they are dangerous to the wildlife and dogs etc.

I don't think that anglers leave any more litter than, say, that found at a football ground after a match. The big problem that we face is that our litter is a damn sight more visible to Joe Public.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't thinking of cans when opened that leave sharp edges. Yes they can be dangerous to wildlife and domestic animals, but they can safely be removed by humans is what I meant.

Yes, tinned meat can be prepared and placed in a plastic pot beforehand, I do that. Sweatcorn, I sometimes carry a tin in case I need it, but may not use it and that's got a ring pull lid, leaves a safe edge around the can.

Half of these 'no tin' rules are dreamt up by some boring old windbag in the club who always take an old flask of luke-warm milky tea and wonders why people take cans of Coke. And why cans and not plastic bottles? Plastic bottles are more expensive in terms of earths resources, aluminium is plentiful.

I'm not now defending litter louts, but there are ways of dealing with them. All you lot are saying is punish yourselves, but do the louts give a toss about your rules? Why let them spoil your fun and enjoyment? They win - you lose - it's stupid!

Reaction score
Where me and Jeff fish there are just a few basic rules and you will not see any litter left by us or the other anglers. We have the caring attitude that many don't seem to have oh and its a syndicate water.

My lake however has a rubbish problem like many, which is club run, so how do we stop it.
One simple answer, stop the public from fishing it,its that simple. If by the sounds of it many rivers/lakes suffer litter from anglers then they should be shut. It maybe just a few but the wildlife that could be harmed comes first in my book before any angler. Perhaps some of these litter bin fisheries will turn to syndicate waters to stop such mess, who knows.
All I know is our sport is already in trouble and is not helped by anglers who leave litter!
I know the stretch where Jeff took the pics and I do find it hard to believe people would litter such lovely areas, they don't deserve these beauty spots.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
you only have to buy a good flask once.
You can put a hot or a cold drink in it. The only problem I have is how does the flask know whether to keep it hot or cold?

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
For as long as I can remember, annual club newsletters have made pleas to members to take their litter home. And has it made any difference...? Of course not. The only answer, as others have said, is to have unambiguous rules that are strictly enforced (without fear or favour). It's no good giving warnings; it's got to be a simple matter of: leave litter, you lose your ticket. One or two enforcements of the rule each year is all that is required - self-interest will ensure that even the cretins (well, most of them, anyway) take their rubbish away with them. They might chuck it out of the car windown on the way home but that, as they say, is another issue...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The only problem is --The cretins aren't cretinous enough to leave litter when there is anyone around --there has to be someone there to see who it is that leaves the litter for a ban to be able to be carried out

Peter Knight

Reaction score
I know that swim! (only one house like that on the Thames)

But it cetianly isn't my rubbish.

A few years ago I went up to Highley to fish on the Severn, I was amazed at the amount of crap left by people who would call themselves anglers. Anyone who leaves anything behind is a disgrace and has no understanding of what fishing is all about.

L

Les Clark

Im allway slaging my club off for this and that,but for some reason there is no litter around and no bailiffs for most of the time,must be very lucky.

woody

Very Elderly Member
Banned
Reaction score
It's the Cardboard Castle, Peter. Well known and a beauty spot, as Stuart says.

A club of mine had an old member, Bob bless him (he's dead now), but he put a board next to 3 sack full of rubbish he;d collected and left by the gate. It read something along the lines of:

"These three sacks full of rubbish were collected from swims where dirty ba**ards had been fishing. If you want to fish in a sh**house than why not cast into your own toilet, not ours. And God help you if I catch you."

We still have litter even though there are signs all over saying "Any litter no matter how small and you lose your ticket."

I can't understand it. Whenever I pack up I always spend a couple of minutes looking through the grass in case I've lost something anyway, foreceps, floats, feeders. Don't leave anything, but more importantly - is it the same as when I arrived (minus any rubbish that was already there).

T

The Monk

If you ban tins, you should ban every other form of potential waste, which would mean that we couldn't take anything to eat at all, nor hook packets, groundbait bags, anything that can be thrown away when empty.

then again we could ban anglers?