Own worst enemy

M

MaNick

I smoke on the bankside cakey... i put all my fag butts (ciggarette ends) in a little pile, then at the end of my session i collect them up, along with any litter in the area!....

Our club has a five meter rule, any litter in your swim within 5 meters and you get an endorsment or ban.

C

Cakey

In 50 years of fishing I have never ever seen a smoker do that so good on your club................and the rest of the time ???

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Guilty as charged, until I gave up smoking.
It worried me, but I couldn't design a pocket ashtray with a non-return valve that wouldn't spray my pocket with sparks. There's a product awaiting a designer, here.

M

MaNick

Tell me about it CAKEY!...

We have a bailiff on one of our club lakes, who shouts at the top of his voice, tells you that the lake is fishing crap and he's off up the legion, and FLICKS HIS FAG butts in MY swim!!!!!! arghhhh!!!!!!!

M

MaNick

"................and the rest of the time ???"

I was bought up not to drop litter. When i was a kid, my dad would stop the car if we chucked stuff out the windows!!!!!...
Funny, we lived on a council estate and yet i dont remember the litter being HALF as bad as it is now!

M

Martin Blackmun

Jeff,
I fish this stretch regularly and have taken many fishing partners with me. I have had Boris to 13lb 5oz, Chub to 7lb 2oz and many bags of silver fish and even more memorable days on the bank.

Did you collect the litter that the mindless idiots had left behind???

Most of the swims leading to the point are regularly fished by me when rolling and spinning. I have collected tons of litter from that stretch to avoid being tarred with the same brush; that could be why it appeared cleaner, I may have been the day before. There are rubbish bins in the car park so no excuses guys. (I personnally take all rubbish home to avoid filling the bins unnecessarily)

Don't condemn the litter louts, you are equally to blame if you leave the swim with any litter.

What really pXXXXes me off is the amount of dog poo at that venue. Again there are bins provided which some of the dog owners choose to ignore.

If you fish the stretch regularly I may have spoken to you, offered free advice or even given you some recycled hooks or weights, which I always drop in an empty bait box, which I have plenty of as that is where my groundbait, meat, cheesepaste etc. came from.

Stop moaning about the few and do something constructive. If you don't you will live to regret it!

C

Cakey

Tell me why I should take someone else's shit home with me...............I dont know where its been and whats been done to it

at least the litter baliffs have gloves and them pick up thingys

C

Cakey

All that needs to happen is mr fishery(or bailiff) owner walks round in the mornings when the lake opens then he knows the state of the swims and who was fishing them the day before.............

N

Nigel Moors 2

Martin, I think most of us know what you're saying but as Cakey says this is just not on. We all have a vested interest in our sport but carrying someone else's carp home for them is not on. No matter what I might be told about 'seeing the wider picture' etc, we are just letting the dirty lazy sh**s off the hook by clearing up behind them.

We need other measures such as Cakey mentions above although I realise that there are many miles of river that don't see a bailiff.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Sorry! That should have read someone else's CRAP, not carp! Now that would get the forum going!

C

Cakey

What you are saying is "its ok to leave litter ....the next angler HAS to take itt home with him?her"

Sorry but that is one rule I would break or choose not to fish !

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It doesn't work like that Cakey. If one angler leaves the peg clean (whoever's litter it is) the next angler in that peg will only have his own litter to clear up.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Got to agree with Graham on balance.

As Nigel points out it could be said that taking another anglers litter home absolves them of their responsibilty & means they never have to face the consequences of their behaviour.To be honest though the sort of person who leaves litter will never give a s... anyway.

If fishing gets lost on a particular stretch due to litter, not only do those who fish there lose out, but we all do as a consequence of the negative publicity such a ban inevitably attracts.

Clean ups instigated by anglers could be an ideal means of getting some positive publicity for our sport.S... that gets dumped in & by our rivers is not all from angelrs after all.Look at what Ashe Hurst has done on the River Cray.

Another point is that litter spawns litter.I would hope that for what passes for a social conscience in your average litter dropper might be slightly pricked by dropping his c... in a pristine swim than one already a pig-sty.

I do a bit of hillwalking & wouldn't dream of not picking up cans etc on the fells where I came across them.The same applies in respect of where I fish.

W

Wolfman Woody

"If you fish the stretch regularly I may have spoken to you, offered free advice or even given you some recycled hooks or weights, which I always drop in an empty bait box,......"

Martin, you don't know me well.

Offering me "recycled hooks or weights", and you would be told what to do with them - point first! No I didn't shift the rubbish. If you read a subsequent posting there was no way I could carry it and I didn't have anything to put it in let alone pick it up with.

Nigle - You have to be extremely careful of picking up cans and bottles, some of which appear to be half filled with Lucozade but bear a Coca Cola label. Believe me, their drinks do not fade in the sunlight.

S

swordsy

I choose to clear my swims on the Trent after every visit as a gesture of thanks to the river and the wildlife that have entertained me all day or night, i do not do it because the previous angler was a complete f*****G co** su***** wan*** who wouldnt know a brain cell if it appeared at his side and tried to sell him a f****** stolen car stereo. I personally view fishing as more than stats and p/b lists,I hope all the litter dropping wan***s drop dead tommorow!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Thats clear then Lee!You will have Clive after you again!

Wise words Jeff.

I remember some gizmo a while back which was like a very small tub with a bristle top into which you could put line & other waste odds & sods.The idea was that it couldn't coil out again like it sometimes does if you put it in your pocket.Seemed like a good idea if pricey.Any other practical ideas on similar lines?

S

swordsy

Ha-ha-ha , yeah probably! oh well it gives the mad old bastard a reason to live! LOL i suppose i`m doing him a favour really!!

Clive that was a joke you cantankerous old tw*t!

W

Wolfman Woody

I remember the idea Nigel and a good one too apart from one problem - - - you had to buy one!

Now if some generous manufacturer could make it for pennies and some popular magazine could include it FREE on their front cover, it might catch on.

Sadly, not even then with everyone.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just thought up a new product for huge growth market that could make a lot of money .........

Replacement asterisk keys for the likes of Lee's keyboard when he's broken them. :eek:)