Picture 009.jpg

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>We do seem to be attracting more than our usual share of trolls and idiots. This seems to have become worse since the site has not had Graham's full attention. There also seem to be a few technical problems that have not been attended to.</blockquote>

Not sure thats relevant to this thread??</blockquote>
I think it's relevant, as when an image like this is posted then I question the motive of the person who posted it. In addition, there was a guy on here recently who was saying that he was going to pack in fishing due to the number of fish he was catching dying when they were returned. There is every chance in my opinion that the guy who posted this image knew the response it would create.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
For me, too many of the comments regarding this image are too personal/emotional.

Instead of picking fault amongst our selves over 'trivial' images, we should be working together to 'justify' and 'educate' all involved.......... both those for or against our sport.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Roberts wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>We do seem to be attracting more than our usual share of trolls and idiots. This seems to have become worse since the site has not had Graham's full attention. There also seem to be a few technical problems that have not been attended to.</blockquote>

Not sure thats relevant to this thread??</blockquote>
I think it's relevant, as when an image like this is posted then I question the motive of the person who posted it. In addition, there was a guy on here recently who was saying that he was going to pack in fishing due to the number of fish he was catching dying when they were returned. There is every chance in my opinion that the guy who posted this image knew the response it would create.</blockquote>

'in addition.'............. the chap packing in fishing has nothing to do with the photo posted!!

/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
This is a photo.

I know as much about it as everyone else...... Ie NOTHING!

Yet so far its been suggested: the fish where kept out of water too long, they were tiped back with no regard, they would have turned 'belly - up' a few yards down stream.......................

None based on any fact..................... /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've read your post Steve, no gripe with it at all.

Its the silly ones after (and ones on another thread regardin the same topic) I'm refering to.

Can you see my point?

F

Fred Bonney

Mark, whilst some do get emotional, bringing suchhandling to peoples attention in itself, must have some affect on those who read this type of thread

Or indeed, are new to the sport. At least I hope it does

Maybe they see through the emotion, and perhaps see there is a better way to handle fish than that portrayed.

The more we talk about safe handling, the better.

No doubt the photographer at least,will think about it the next time, so one more is better than none at all.

CAT

Reaction score
Hand rag for a mat ? your supposed to be keeping the fish wet not drying them off!

Well done for managing 3 Barbel on it all the same, bet they flapped like fook before you got your perfect photo, mind you thats probably why they are covered in mud and grass, i hope thats not blood from the gills, thats never good.

I'm with you Steve, Good Angling but Poor Handling.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Again in large I agree Fred, never said otherwise.........

For me a snap shot like that results in a poor photo, but in no way proves or disproves any poor handling of the fish??

Are we too sensitive?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Can you see my point?"

I can Mark, but you've also got to understand that pictures like that can anger some people, of which I am one. To anglers that love fishing and fish, that picture is disgusting, there is no grass (hardly!) it's mud and a scabby old T towel.

But, I also understand that some anglers need educating about fish welfare and handling.

So chill out, we've already got one "Grumpy Git" on this forum. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
'To anglers that love fishing and fish'

What am I then?

Read again...............<blockquote class=quoteheader><blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Playing devils advocate......... (not a good photo I agree)

Who says they've been out of the water for more than a few minutes?

Whats the problem?

Keepnet - I don't have a problem with if used sensibly

No Unhooking mat - I don't have a problem with (although usually use one myself), again if one isn't needed

I agree the towel isn't the best thing to lay them on.

Regarding the the old 'fueling the antis' argument. Show them a photo of any fish/angler and they will <u>always hate it </u>and find an argument against it. Show it to a non-angler and they will think its a picture of some fish??

The only people who are 'hyper sensitive' to a photo like that are anglers themselves.</blockquote>
</blockquote>

F

Fred Bonney

No you didn't Mark.(edit: your post above Steve's)

I think it does show poor handling though, some of the fish are covered in grass/dirt, so they've been bouncing about.(2 pictures)

Sensative? Maybe.

Over sensative? No.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
In large I agree Fred!

I've caught fish that bounce about on their own is that wrong..........

I'll say again - I think the photo is poor,

BUT!

I think our energy should be used to support each other rather than criticise...........

Most of the mones are based on things not directly related to the photo??

CAT

Reaction score
Mark, im like you i have no problem with match lads catching 80lb of lake Barbel then spilling them out on a wet plastic sheet lying behind them for a photo , the fish come to no harm and can flap all they like with out a scratch, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way.

I am not too sensitive mate i can asure you, i could not deffend that photo, its poor.

River Barbel should be rested and returned carfully.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"River Barbel should be rested and returned carfully."

What about Still Water barbel? (sorry Cat I couldn't resist that) /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark I know you are a fine angler and care for the fish you catch, but I can't understand why you are deffending this picture?

I don't think it should have made it into the FM gallery, but that's my opinion.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
As Already stated I think the photo is poor....... dispite the number of posts, no one so far has come up with a <u>justifiable</u> why?

F

Fred Bonney

Easier to control though Mark,hopefully preventing any damage.

Or better still, unhook them in the landing net whilst it's still in the water

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"River Barbel should be rested and returned carfully."

What about Still Water barbel? (sorry Cat I couldn't resist that) /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Mark I know you are a fine angler and care for the fish you catch, but I can't understand why you are deffending this picture?

I don't think it should have made it into the FM gallery, but that's my opinion.</blockquote>
I'm not defending the picture....... just trying to diffine the grounds of its critisisum....

F

Fred Bonney

My guess is that, at least two photographs were taken, at least that's all we've seen,of fish bouncing about on a potentialy damaging surface.

That would be my critisism anyway