Quandary

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"I'm not going to fish with somebody who doesn't have a clue how it all works and only fishes waters that have no relation to anything that I'm targetting."

Thats me knackered then.

;o)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Frothey, you say I said I was going to do some tests on leads with bacon rind etc? You sure that was me?

F

Frothey

sorry, wrong punctuation. the bit after " testing the effect of the lead on the hook" was just a way it could be done. the bacon rind bit was just an approximation of the carps lips.

you said you'd help if i needed it....just thought it would be easier for you to do it, and me post it (lol)

S

sash

Can we not just get back to Tim's question?

I for one would be interested in hearing views whoever/wherever they come from. It's been ages since there was a decent discussion which made people (if they were inclined to do so anyway) question their own fishing. The production of own bait thread (I think, involving Rik and Malcolm?) was the last one that didn't get ruined by fighting or daft comments and that was years ago!

W

Sash, nothing wrong with a bit of banter along the way.

S

sash

No there isn't Wol but the banter tends to overload the question and stops most people posting their views. I enjoy the banter as much as the next man but it would be a shame to let another decent thread dissapear wouldn't it?

C

Cheeky Monkey too

To right.

My advice to Tim would be, pack in carp fishing and join the barbel boys where we all get along nicely with one another.

Until someone mentions stillwater barbel, keepnets, barbel on boilies, braided line for barbel, barbed hoo.......

W

Yes, your right Sash.

Tim, just posting your original post up for those that might have their setting to 'last post'. Save them hoarding through the daft comments.....

I wonder what you maight think to this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have started fishing a smallish pit recently with carp upto 30 lbs.
I'm not looking to establish a bait as sessions will be sporadic and short, however have caught single carp around 4lbs on tiger nuts and fruit special, however have since found out that a going bait is the trigga ice (shelflife)which has proved much better results initially (8 fish a session)over varying sizes of pellets maize and tigers.

I am under the impression that alot of this bait has gone in to this pit and have caught small carp only from 3-6lbs in weight. the larger fish (even doubles) seem to be eluding me.

It seems I may have to rethink so the options I have come up with are as follows:

1- Stick with Trigga Ice shelflives at 14mm as they catch.

2- Purchase Trigga Ice Feezerbaits at 18mm+

3- Make my own Trigga Ice in varying shapes and sizes and/or large pasteballs.

4- Switch to particles eg. Maples, maize, nuts etc.

Any suggestions as to which option to take and reasons why would be appreciated.

S

sash

Ok, "daft comments" was the wrong choice of words when applied to this thread. It was a generalisation admittedly.

J

jason fisher

the affect on lead size required to set a hook was worked out 20 odd years ago frothey. i can remember reading it in an article years ago.

so i could save you the work of finding the info out yourself.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Just post him the article and he will......, er, sorry, strike that last piece!

Witchunt over, I love you Frothey, ok?

S

sash

Then again I can always open my big mouth and stop the thread instantly. Sod the lovin', get fighting again boys, at least there were some ideas coming forward!

;o)

W

Can we not just get back to Tim's question?

S

sash

Stu,

I appreciated your comments and thoughts, tell me more?

What did you think of my experiences for example, especially in light of yours over beds of feed and its application? Am I right to use the smaller carp to invoke a feeding frenzy quicker or should I try to bypass them to get to the big fish?