Richard Walker - Three Glorious Decades

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I admit defeat; just scanned through 40 issues of AT from 1972 & 1974. Not one banal or mundane Walker piece. Quite a few of those from '72 were about trout, and hardly my cup of tea but all had something interesting. Walker seemed to be generally given more space in '74 often around 1500-2000 words. The sixties articles seemed shorter.

Of those around today, it was interesting to see pictures of Graham, Eddie Bibby, Barrie Rickards, and Roy Marlow.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Did you know how he used to write many of those articles Mark?

Well he didn't!!

He used to get his secretary on the telex and then dictate them direct to AT!

I am getting some copies of pieces I did for AT in the 60s Mark, a bit before your time (dodder dodder). They are coming from an old friend of mine who is still in the Barbel Catchers - John Winterbottom. He and a guy called Chris Tabbron formed the Manchester Specimen Group in the 60s.

These were the days when I helped Peter Wheat write his book - The Fighting Barbel.

He produced some good stuff did Peter, including two books called the Angler's Year I & II. Great reads they were.

Mark, Walker set the highest standards ever in angling journalism. He may have written a few things that in the light of later experiences may have been not quite accurate. And he may have written statements where he was probably mistaken from time to time. But to err is human; and Walker was certainly human.

But boring and banal?

Never!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,
Peter Wheat lives 3 miles away.

Barrie's book should be a treat though..

Now was Sheringham as good as Walker?

R

Ed in Angling Times??

Someone must have made a slip up there.

Scousers in AT - Oh Dear!!!

:eek:)

R

Sheringham was a lovely writer Mark, but in a totally different league to Walker. A different style entirely.

Sheringham was far more of a descriptive writer. His famous eulogy to float fishing went: "..... its very pleasing in appearance but even more pleasing in disappearance......"

Walker loved the writings of Hugh Tempest Sheringam. In fact he suggested that we name the National Association of Specimen Groups - "The Sheringham Society."

I am a bit light on many of Sheringham's works. Hopefully I can put that to right tommorrow.

R

Buy the way Mark, I am working on an article about some of my experiences in the 60s when the Specimen Groups were being formed.

I am gradually getting a whole set of stuff together including old photos. I'll send it to Graham in the next month or so.

I hope you won't be too bored with it.

N

Nigel Moors.

"..... its very pleasing in appearance but even more pleasing in disappearance......"

Very good!

Mark - as I said earlier your work is not in question. Since I met up with all 4 of you who attended the Clifton Hampden fish-in last year (or the year before perhaps?)I went away and as a newbie to FM looked up anything that you or Jeff had written.
I was impressed then and even more so now so no criticism aimed at you.

Not discounting Andy Nellist of course whose exploits we were all reading in the weeklies - every bloody week!

Chris - I wasn't making a pointed reference against anyone's work in particular. If you look at my original comment and take it in context it was comparing Walkers style of writing against some of the modern writers who 'over-flower' their work. It wasn't saying that all FM writers are crap, nor even saying that there were more than one or two.

But I do accept that this may be down to how interested I am in the article's subject matter. Simply saying that you don't necessarily like a writers perspective or style shouldn't mean that you need to qualify it - if we were talking about a printed book you'd just choose not to buy it and walk away....

R

By the way there does exist an exclusive club called: "The Sheringham Society"; they also have a website.

They strike me as being a bit like "The Golden Scale Club". They have regular meetings and fish-ins. They go about dressed in 20s clothes with split cane and greenheart rods, ancient centre-pin reels and wickerwork creels.

Sheringham by the way fished for all species, both game and coarse. He hated the divisions in angling which during his time had become very marked indeed.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Richard Walker was the most influential angler of the 20th Century; of that I think there is little doubt. I did not grow up with Walker - I started fishing in 1983 at about the same time he stopped writing about it. For the first few years I relied on the inferior wisdom offered in the 'Beginners Guide To Fishing' type of book, along with practical advice given by generous anglers on the bankside. Needless to say, I benefitted far more from the latter.

Then I discovered **** Walker. It was a moment of mixed emotions, because I only became aware of him when the Angling Times headline proclaimed '**** Walker is dead', that sorrowful day in 1985. There were extracts of his articles re-printed which I read and re-read. Suddenly I had found the guideance I had been looking for. I sought out his books in libraries and second hand shops and devoured every word.

Curiously, some of what he said concurred with my own limited observations; until then I assumed that, as the books all stated something quite different, I must be mistaken. But no, I was right all along - those first books were phoney. I began to trust more in my own judgement after that - and less in what other people told you was so. In many ways I owe Richard a huge debt, not just because my angling improved enormously thereafter, but because my whole outlook to life since then has been based on a reliance in my own assessment of a situation and less on received wisdom. Thanks ****.

Whether all this makes him the best angler is more difficult to define. Others have already posed the question: is the best angler the one who catches the most/biggest fish? Or the angler who is skilled in the greatest variety of techniques? Maybe the one who dominates in catching a particular species?

I suggest the best angler is none of these. The angler who truly earns the right to that title is the one who can do it all. The one who can catch big fish consistently - of all species and from all types of water, and develop tackle and techniques to suit circumstances rather than try to find suitable conditions in which to practice a specific type of fishing.

He should be able to write lucidly and intelligently about all aspects of the sport, enabling him to share his knowledge and ideas with as wide an audience as possible, so that the ordinary angler can learn and develop his own fishing. He should be approachable - able to discuss specific problems with individual anglers and help them not only to find a solution, but to cultivate a more thoughtful approach to their fishing.

Perhaps most importantly, he should demonstrate simplicity in his solutions to angling problems; no marks are awarded for over-complication.

I wonder who that might be?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Of those around today, it was interesting to see pictures of Graham, Eddie Bibby"

And the 2 of us still fish together after all those years !!
(although we forget which of us is which)

R

What you have done there Fred is describe Walker to a T.

**** was skilled in every British freshwater angling technique you can name. A true all-rounder. Put him on any type of water for any species and he could catch it. The only form of angling he never got too involved in was sea fishing. He once decribed a day he went sea fishing. He was given some bait that "Bit me bleedin' finger and looked like a giant tropical centipede".

He never went sea fishing again.

R

Just put a new thread on Mark advising of the book's availability.

Just ordered mine.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As this thread has a theme of angling writing somewhere in it I'll stick with this one. I've had a first read of The Stone-Walker Letters; I couldn't put it down, and read it through to the end last night. There is some excellent advice from Walker to Stone on angling writing that I shall have to study in depth, and anyone else that is aspiring to write on angling will find it more than useful.

This book is only the starter; the main course will be Barrie's biography...

R

I am so glad you like the book Mark. Mine should be with me early next week.

Can't wait for it.

Tim Walker 2

Reaction score
And a very good job he's made of it, too. I've spent a fair few hours with Barrie talking about my father's life and times, and checking proofs and so on. I've spoken to a lot of anglers, from Pete Thomas, to Fred J Taylor, to Chris Tarrant. All agree it's the definitive biography. And thank you all for your kind comments about my father.

Tim Walker