Richard Walker - Three Glorious Decades

Reaction score
Tim,

I've just started reading your father's biography and it is captivating stuff. Thank you for taking the time to come on FM and express your thoughts.

Kind regards,

****y

Tim Walker 2

Reaction score
No problems. I hadn't picked up a rod since before **** died in 1985, but with all the fuss about the book I took the chance for a little fishing in France this year. I have a Mk IV Avon and used a Mitchell reel. I caught some tench, a fish I've always had a soft spot for. It was like stepping back in time. Now I need to find a split cane MK IV carp rod..............................

Barrie Rickards was just the bloke to do the book and he's done a great job. He and I met to discuss and quite a few occasions, and he's become a good friend. All in all, I'm delighted with the outcome.

Tim

F

Fred Bonney

A very good read Tim,the book was well put together.

Sorry,can't help with the cane!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

"Now I need to find a split cane MK IV carp rod.............................."

I know the very man who has got one. If I'm not mistaken, he is/was/goingto have it fully restored.

Ah, but if you ever wanted it you'd have to fight him for it. He gets very sentimental over old cane, building his own museum, one might say.

He'll probably post on here before long, I'd put a week's wage on it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have only just picked up on the latter parts of this thread. I was in hospital when it was started.

Many thanks Tim for contributing to this thread. I hope you got your Mk IV Avon.

Some years ago, a few of uson Fishing Magic, together with Steve Harrison of Harrison Tackle, designed a rod we called the Fishing Magic Concept.

Made from British builtcarbon fibre, the tapers were inspired by your father's Mk IV design. I am sure he would have approved.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Hey Ron,

Seems to be a bit of a controversy surrounding the Walker Biography and the Falkus one.

Malcolm Greenhalgh has been at the centre of it in Fly Tying and Fly Fishing Magazine.

Dec 07, Feb 08, Jul 08 also on this forum under **** Walker saint or Sinner. You'll need to do a search to find it.

Interested to hear your views.

Colin

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Ron,

Stop bragging about your son and get the above sorted/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sorry Colin, this site won't let me on!

There may be a reason for that.

keora

Reaction score
Merv, thanks for the extract from the flyforum, I had previously tried to view it on the website without success.

I think some of thecritics of Richard Walker are nit pickers. Yes, he could be dogmatic on occasions, yet he had an original viewpoint and used his engineering and scientificexperience to improve angling techniques and equipment. And I also thought his biography, by Barrie Rickards,was a fair portrayal of a great innovator.

His articles and books were written with clarity and humour, and they are still worth reading today, over twenty years after his death.

I notice Malcom Greenhalgh (hope the spelling is right) asked a few anglers fishing if the had heard of **** Walker, and none had. Oddly enough, Walker's biographer, Barrie Rickards wrote on this website that he did a similar survey, and found that very few anglers had heard of Walker.

I thinkthis indicates that Walker's innovations and influence have been absorbed so fully into modern angling, that relative newcomers to the sport don't realise he was the instigator - for example, the Arlesey bomb, carp techniques (bite alarms, free lining, triangular landing nets), carbon fibre rods, improved design of fixed spool reels, fly design.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There seems to be a large number of coarse fishers today who do not read about the sport, save for simple diagrams on how to tie a rig, or articles which depict "X marks the spot" in true Treasure Island style.

I get numerous e-mails from anglers all over the country. Unfortunately the vast majority of these e-mails are asking me where - almost to the number of the peg, they can catch a specific fish.

Barrie is quite right,mention **** Walker to most anglers today and they have never heard of him.

I am going to have to buy a copy of FF & FT before I can comment onwhat Greehhalgh has to say.

Regards the death of Ruth Walker nee Burdett-Holstead, the matter of her accident was investigated in depth by the police and no foulplay was found.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

I read Barrie’s book on Walker followed by the Walker Stone letters and by chance some of his letters/articles to the Chub Study Group. All of which I’ve greatly enjoyed, however, its sad but true, many young anglers have never heard of him. Walker's abilities have to be balanced with what was known and understood in the 50’s & 60’s and not against what we know now. I’m sure to some he may seem arrogant and a wee bit dogmatic, but he was honest and as generous as the day is long. It would be nice to read other correspondence between Walker and his contemporaries, I wonder if the Taylor Brothers put pen to paper or did they just sort it all out over a pint in the pub?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

The classic exchange of letters is possibly 'Drop Me A Line' where Walker and Maurice Ingham exchange views on so many topics.

Its a grand read, I think I'm on about the 9th reading.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I first read "Drop Me a Line" in 1954. It was in my school library.

I must have read it at least 50 times, and I am constantly referring to it. It is the finest angling book that was never meant to be written, and it's a pity that **** and Maurice Ingham fell out in later life.

A lot of Walker's arrogance was put on, and came through in his articles, but this was to get responses from the readership.

Have you read The Stone/Walker Letters yet John?

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Yes Ron, our Lass bought it for me at Christmas.I'd suggestif you've not read either of the books then read Barrie's Walker book first followed by the Stone/Walker Letters.

I’ll have to see if I can get hold of “Drop me a Line”

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've got both of them, including the leather bound job, and I've read them both throught about 5 times.