Rigs and their benefits

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Jim, firstly its good to hear you are feeling much better. By the way if any of you don't know who Jim Gibbinson is, then he's a well respected carp angler and has many years of writing books and success with his fishing.

In response Jim, I never explained how the D-Rig worked just compared a point on the blow back against a standard hair.

Your statement ?its far to complicated for me? ? does that mean it won?t work then?

B

Big Rik

good point...

I don't think anybody is trying to convert anybody else (well maybe Wol in a sexual way) it's just a forum and as such it's discussion.
Discussion promotes knowledge growth and thus enhances and accentuates prowess and stimulates further discussions.

A world without discussion would suffocate and die.

and I'll echo Stus comment that it's good to hear you're feeling better.

Fancy meeting us all on Walthamstow for a chin wag?
We'll even let you supply the food.

stu

Reaction score
Which is all very well Rik if you can follow or understand all this technical stuff !!

Not because I have been given any advice on this, but I devised a simple rule for all my hair rigs. My hair length is tied such that the bait will usually be about half the distance of a baits width. So if its a 20mm boilie, then I have it about 10mm off the hook, and in most circumstances I would not want it much more than 10mm anyway. I have just stuck to this and it seems to work OK.

The only other rule I follow, nothing to do with this forum, is never use them for chub fishing.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Peedy Stu, its your rule and if it works for you that?s great, but why does it work for you? can it be improved? why can it be improved and so on and so on.

With regard to your comments "Which is all very well Rik if you can follow or understand all this technical stuff !!"

then, its good for me as a technical thinking angler to open up and engage in topics such as this, instead of the mundane normal "I've just started carp fishing and what?s the best bait to use". Always happy to engage and help out on these topics, but sometimes I like to take something out of this forum just for myself and this rocks my boat as it suits my fishing anyway!

G

Gary Knowles 2

"we are talking about the way a carp feeds, which can at times be quite clever"....

Nice one Rik, I've just got up of the floor after falling off my chair. However, I thought we were meant to restrict our jokes to the bait box section of the forum.

stu

Reaction score
I'm not knocking it Stu D, its just that for me I am still in the realms of getting to grips with more basic stuff! And I did learn through trial and error that its best to err on the short side of a hair, not long.

As for D rigs, anti eject, fixing your hair with shrink tube etc.......that is all fun to come!

LoL Barney.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Believe me Stu, it is fun too, but as wol would say, we're get you creamed up at the stow about all that mate!

M

Malcolm Bason

As long as he does the Thai Curry, I'll wear ear plugs!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Malc, you might wanna pair of these....

www.flightstore.co.uk

Almost anybody who has taken the time to talk to Roto will have wondered about what damage the dull levels of conversation can do to your brain. The answer lies in these lightweight and comfortable ear defenders from Peltor, which feature a padded headband and soft ear cups sealing rings and weigh just 140g/5oz, yet offer Roto fade-out better than some aviation headsets! Invaluable for conversation wipeout in and around Roto swim.

P

Phil Hackett 2

With respect guys the Knotless Knot is only a standard whipped hook with a piece left on for the hair.

I've been whipping eyed hooks up the shank for 40 years blood years, as it the strongest knot there is for attaching a hook. The only thing that is relatively new is the hair. And that ain't that new really is it?
So why all the fuss?

P

Phil Hackett 2

As for not using hair rigs for chub that's nonsense. Use the sliding hair with the bait tight to the back of the hook and up against the eye works everytime, fish hook themselves against the rod tip......bang! Round and round the rod goes.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Not for Chub. Strange they did'nt seem to mind last night a nice 5Ib chub obliged me by taking my 10mm boilie wrapped with past on a 20mm hair.

S

sash

"With respect guys the Knotless Knot is only a standard whipped hook with a piece left on for the hair"

Not really Phil, especially when tied with hooks having a pronounced down-turned eye. Try tieing a bit of amnesia or stiff rig material to something like a Kamasan B175 hook and see how the hook turning effect can be extended.

It's something I've played around with a lot this season tieing a variety of combi links either in accepted format with a short braid length nearest the hook or reversed with the aforementioned short 'bristle' next to the hook that is tied to a hinged or completely soft link.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Phil - but how many chub have dropped the bait without you knowing before one hooks itself ?...if fish are dropping the bait before the tip shows a bite how can you say it works every time ?

Bryan - law of averages mate. One will always hook itself eventually

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
"Phil - but how many chub have dropped the bait without you knowing before one hooks itself ?..."

err....great question Barney (cough, cough)

C.O.S.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Next time i am out i will try one rod with the set up discribed above and one with the bait tight to the hook and see what happens.

G

Gary Knowles 2

It won't work as well as just using one rod and using it all the time Bryan.

You need to feel the chub lifting the bait to give it line.