River Lune

J

john conway

Date............ 30/09/02
Fishery.......... River Lune Lansil Stretch @ Halton
Time fished..... 20:00hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather details.. Sunny all day light cloud cover in the evening, air temp 14C dropping tp 13C at midnight.
Water details ... River very low no rain for at least two weeks, no wind, very calm.
Water temperature.... 14C
Method .......... 2 rods-Quiver tip fitted with "Starlite" + Feeder. Size 8 hook with 2 pieces of sweet corn on one bread on the other.
Results ......... 6lb-6oz, 5lb-4oz & 9lb-10oz Bream
Usual ground bait. Arrived in the dark, no salmon anglers, had 3 coarse lads for company for a short while, nice to know who else is catching and where.

J

john conway

Date............ 30/09/02
Time fished..... 15:00hrs to 20:30hrs
Weather details.. Started raining late morning then very heavy shower for 2 hrs just after we had set up, air temp 12C.
Water details ... Clam with leaves on the surface, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.33M rising to 1.8M by 03:00hrs the following morning.
Water temperature.... 9C
Method .......... 2 rods-Quiver tip fitted with "Starlite" + Feeder. Size 8 hook with 2 pieces of sweet corn on one bread on the other.
Results ......... Blank
This was a trip out with Graham, Dave and Big Rik, we only had about an hour when the conditions were right and at 20:15hrs Big Rik landed the only fish of the session a lovely 10lb river bream.

J

john conway

Date............ 26/11/02
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather details.. Mild evening, overcast truning to rain by midnight, Air temp 11C, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.2M & steady.
Water temperature.... 7C
Results ......... 7lb-2oz & 9lb-10oz Bream
Missed several bites, could have done better, however, a very pleasant evening.

J

john conway

Date............ 01/12/02
Time fished..... 10:00hrs to 18:00hrs
Weather details.. Showers turning to bright periods by mid day then back to high winds and rain at dusk, Air temp 10C, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.2M & steady.
Water temperature.... 8C
Method .......... Float then ledger
Results ......... 1 salmon par & 1 small trout
This was the start of finding the big perch campaign, changed to ledger after loosing loads of hook lengths on roots and other snags. Nothing in my minnow trap, will have to catch minnows some where else on the river. Very difficult to fish, steep banks loads of trees and shrubs. Hmm I think this is going to be a long hard campaign

J

john conway

Date............ 08/12/02
Time fished..... 16:30hrs to 23:00hrs
Weather details.. Dry, very windy and cold Air temp 4C, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.33M & falling.
Water temperature.... 6C
Results ......... Blank
Missed one big bite while eating a doug-nut and drinking coffe. The river went mirror clam for an hour at low tide, also during this period there were a few bites/line bites, otherwise it was dead and very cold.

J

john conway

Date............ 04/12/02
Time fished..... 17:00hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather details.. Overcast no wind and cold Air temp 5C, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.23M & falling.
Water temperature.... 4C
Results ......... one small rainbow
Very quiet, made contact with the only bite of the night, not counting the trout, but lost it after a couple of pulls.

J

john conway

Date............ 20/12/02
Time fished..... 15:30hrs to 00:30hrs
Weather details.. Clear night very cold Air temp 2C droping to zero at midnight, Rivercall @ Caton 15:00hrs 0.1M & steady.
Water temperature.... 2C
Results ......... Blank
Very quiet, few line bites at dusk and just before midnight. Very cold as soon as it was dark the rod rings started to freeze up.

J

john conway

Date............ 08/01/03
Time fished..... 19:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather details.. Some cloud, very cold with the odd spot of rain, Air temp 1C, Rivercall @ Caton 0.1M & steady.
Water temperature.... 2C
Results ......... 4lb 8oz Bream
Very quiet, few line bites, missed two bites before connecting with one about 23:15hrs.

J

john conway

Date............ 05/02/03
Time fished..... 17:00hrs to 22:30hrs
Weather details.. Clear sky, very cold, Air temp 1C, Rivercall @ Caton 0.26M & falling.
Water temperature.... 2C
Results ......... 8lb 10oz Bream
Line bits started as soon as it went dark between long spells of nothing. Problems with casting due to rod rings icing up. Also lost another large Bream 3M form the net, nice swirl showing me her bronze dust bin side in the torch light then tat taa Mr Conway !!!!
This session seemed hard work, however, I was rewarded by one beautiful Lune Bream.

J

john conway

Date............ 17/02/03
Time fished..... 14:00hrs to 21:30hrs
Weather details.. Clear sky and full moon, very cold, Air temp 1C dropping to zero.
Water temperature.... 2C
Method .......... Quiver tip fitted with "Starlite" + Feeder. Size 8 hook & bread Flake.
Results ......... Blank
There were a few line bits as soon as it went dark between long spells of nothing. Shared the peg with a mate and he managed one bream 8.5lb.

J

john conway

Date............ 23/02/03
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 23:00hrs
Weather details.... Dull & overcast, Air temp 7C. River very low no wind.
Water temperature.... 4C
Results ......... Blank
There were a few line bites as soon as it went dark between long spells of nothing. Met two Wiggan lads coming off as I was going on, same story with them, blank with the odd line bite.

J

john conway

Date............ 16/06/03
Time fished..... 00:00hrs to 10:00hrs
Weather details.... Slight cloud cover, sunny morning with no wind to speak of. Air temp 14C dropping to 10C then back up to 19C. Rivercall @ 03:00hrs normal summer level i.e. very low.
Water temperature.... 19C
Method .......... 2 rods-Quiver tip fitted with "Starlite" + Feeder. Size 8 hook with 2 pieces of sweet corn on one bread on the other. At dawn change one rod onto maggot and feeder.
Results ......... 1 snig (very small eel), 1 small trout & 1x8lb bream.
Comments & remarks:....... Fishing with Alan after a few days baiting up the swim. Very quite except for the sea trout and salmon splashing about. Alan opened the account with a very lively 1-1/2lb sea trout. At dawn a few line bites started and for the first time in several years I saw the bream rolling, something they don’t do very often on the Lune. All my fish came between 05:15 and 06:00hrs then it went very quite again. For about two hours Alan and I had the company of two little mice availing them selves of an abandoned ball of ground bait at my feet. At dusk we saw an otter swimming towards us, the first I’ve ever seen on this part of the Lune and also the largest eel I’ve ever seem swam lazily in front of our pegs, he or she must have been about 1M long and very deep. It’s great to be back on the rivers once again, I/we love every minute of it.

J

john conway

Date............ 12/07/03
Time fished..... 20:30hrs to 01:00hrs
Weather details.... Hot and sunny all day, warm evening, full moon, Rivercall @ Caton @ 03:00hrs normal summer level i.e. very low.
Water temperature.... 18C
Results ......... 1 x 5lb Hybred & an &lb Bream.
Comments & remarks:....... On the spur of the moment trip, as it looked like our lass was going to find me something to do. Quite a few line bites and one or two which I missed, but nothing until it was going dark, not that it was very dark with a full moon. Nice to be back on the Lune though.

J

john conway

Date............ 10/08/03
Time fished..... 17:00hrs to 24:00hrs
Weather details.... Thunder storms all morning clearing to a sunny evening, Air Temp 22C droping to 17C at mid-night.
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 03:00hrs 0.02M above and steady i.e. very low and clear.
Water temperature.... 22C
Results ......... Blank
Comments & remarks:....... Another on the spur of the moment trip, thought the thunder storms may have freshened things up a wee bit but it was absolutely dead, only bites were bat bites. Still it was better than sitting in front of the tele.

J

john conway

Date............ 17/09/03
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 23:30hrs
Weather details.... Sunny end to the day, peacful and quiet, some cloud towards midnight. Air Temp 17C dropping to 12C.
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 16:00hrs 0.1M BNSL steady i.e. very low and clear.
Water temperature.... 17C
Bait........ Bread Flake & sweetcorn
Results ......... Blank
Comments & remarks:....... 19:00hrs one bream rolled over my baited area and that was it, still it was a beautiful evening and I enjoyed whatching a very large rat playing in the very posh gardens across the river.

J

john conway

Date............ 09/11/03
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 22:00hrs
Weather details.... Overcast, strong breeze down river. At 21:00hrs wind stopped and near full moon made it a very bright calm evening.
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 15:00hrs 0.1M ANSL & steady
Air Temp... 10C
Water temperature.... 8C
Results ......... 5lb Bream
Comments & remarks:....... One knock one fish, nice to be back on the Lune again, totally different river to the Ribble. The little rat from the last session was still there along with nine ducks that decided to roost up for the night around my chair. Seems they also like listening to radeo 4?

J

john conway

Date............ 16/12/03
Time fished..... 17:30hrs to 22:00hrs
Weather details.... Overcast very little wind.
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 15:00hrs 0.2M ANSL & falling
Air Temp... 6C
Water temperature.... 4C
Method .......... 2 rods, Downstream rod methode feeder upstream rod swimfeeder with liquidised breada and bread flake.
Results ......... Blank
Comments & remarks:....... Early on just a few very slight knocks but after 20:00hrs absolutely nothing. 1st time that I've never used any ground bait. There is talk that the old shoal containing the really big fish has died off however, there are still double figure bream coming out. Need to spend a wee bit more time re-locating the new shoal? There have also been some very large shoals of Roach spotted but as yet no reports of anyone bagging up on Roach?

J

john conway

Date............ 24/02/04
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 23:30hrs
Weather details.... Overcast very little wind, sky clearing towards mid-night
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 03:00hrs 0.11M ANSL & steady
Air Temp... 6C dropping to zero at dusk
Water temperature.... 4C
Results ..21:00hrs 7lb Bream on bread
21:55hrs 4lb-10oz " " "
23:30hrs 9lb-2oz " " "
Comments & remarks:...Nice to be back on the Lune chasing the big bream. Just had time to get down after work and do some depth/feature finding after the big floods a few weeks ago, before it got dark. The bottom has changed and I was able fire out a few balls of ground bait to a maker float. Just had three bites and three fish very few line bites seemed very quite, there was even a lack of ducks which are generally a pain in the neck when you’re baiting up.

J

john conway

Date............ 27/02/04Fishery.......... River Lune Lansil Stretch @ Halton
Time fished..... 18:00hrs to 22:00hrs
Weather details.... Clear sunny intervals all low level snow clearing by mid afternoon, strong breeze at first dying down after dusk.
Water coditions..... Rivercall @ Caton @ 03:00hrs NSL & steady
Air Temp... 2C dropping to zero at dusk
Water temperature.... 3C
Results ......... Blank
Comments & remarks:...Absolutely dead not a flicker on the quiver tips. With the lack of action the cold felt more intense and by 10-o-clock I’d had enough.

Gazhilla

Reaction score
Date.......16/06/04...River Lune Lansil Stretch@Halton
Time Fished......1400 to 1900hrs
Weather......dry and sunny, cool in shade
Bait.....Sweetcorn/Red maggot and groundbait.
Method......Quivertip and feeder, Size 12 hook alternating corn and bunch of red maggots.
Rersults... 1 ruffe, 1 bream vetween 10 and 11lbs.
Comments and remarks... 1st ever session on the river, bream was huge and covered in tubercules, one bite missed lots of salmon jumping, one other bream of 7lb to another angler, beautiful river.