Standing out

daji

Reaction score
I stand out, or rather stand up due to my inability to cast whilst seated.

tonybull

Reaction score
We'll - that's the response you get when asked to provide clarity. Utter lack of respect - unfortunately, I didn't expect anything other.

May I ask the last two, what do you do for a living?

Win the Drennan Knock out Cup then your stand out.

Bagging up on a pleasure session make's you a successful all round angler to whom ?

Nothing to do with respect, just a fact in the first instance and a question in the second.

Plenty of anglers bag up on pleasure sessions, done it myself. The fish were there to be caught and that's what I done. But have no reason to start a thread on a forum to draw a debate about it.

flightliner

Reaction score
Ok Nicepix - hopefully this will conclude the thread

I will initially cover the river session I identified and then finish with some general considerations for both river and stillwater baiting. You will see from my comments that baiting is interlinked with watercraft - they go hand-in-hand.

River Session
I had never fished the stretch of river before (a river in Yorkshire), so I needed to get a bit of a feel for the water prior to fishing it.
[I think walking the banks of a new venue is far more beneficial than actually fishing it, as you can understand such aspects as
RIVERS
1) distance and terrain to walk to the swims, this will reflect the amount of gear you take - you should carry sufficent to allow at least the ability to fish feeder and float but not so much as to deter you from moving swims.
2) swim position, especially with a SW wind, if you can find a feature packed stretch which benefits from a sw wind blowing up-stream, this will massively improve your float control, as the wind will check your line and hold your float back.
3) You'll be able to check the pace of the river - also note the debrie collected on the overhanging branches - as this will gauge the typical rising river levels, you should suss out swims which may accommodate an increase in water without a detrimental impact on your fishing technique.
4) Swims with far bank overhanding trees/bushes are likely to house greater numbers of fish - especially chub, they will feel safer.
5) Well worn swims - these are likely to be fish holding and also easier to fish......stead pace, decent depth and few snags].
The day I walked the river was purposeful as there was a local match on. As I walked a particular stretch I had sussed a couple of good pegs which fitted my Q1-5 (identified above), so I then chatted to the anglers who were fishing them - about 6 anglers in total. Nothing much as being caught, but one of the blokes said he had hooked two good chub in his first 2 trots and then bumped a third. Since then, he had only had a few tentative knocks. I was 99% sure that there were many chub in his swim, but with him trotting through from word go and loosing a fish, the chub were spooked and as a result were probably located right under the far bank bushes, out of his tackle. The numbers of fish present were confirmed by him still recieving some tentertive albeit frustrating action.

The water colour was perfect (slight colouration); the level was steady and falling (I could see it had dropped around 4-6 inch, due to the smoothing of the sand next to the waters edge). The water temperature was 42 degrees and the air temperature was rising [54] this would continue to increase the water temperature, the following day. The angler also confirmed that big catches had come off the swim in previous years.

I left the river and planned to fish the following day. I arrived early to bank the swim and brought 10 pints of maggots - the quantity of bait depends on the the water temperature and population of fish in the river. Obviously, if you have a cold day, the fish may only feed for a short period within the day; if there is a small headcount of fish and you pile the food in, they will fill up!

When I arrived, I noted that he pace of the river was relatively constant across its whole - I therefore threw in some maggots in my margin to judge how fast they would sink and where they would likely hit the bed of the river - I had noted the depth of the swim from the terminal float rigs of the anglers the previous day - around 6 foot. So, I anticipated where the chub would feel safe and comfortable (under some overhanging bushes) and therefore catapulted my maggots upstream, so they would arrive on the deck, approximately at the chubs comfort zone. I kept a pouchful of maggots going in every 1-2 mins, whilst setting up my float rod and float - a big 5AAA thick waggler (this would result in an effortless cast and keep my rig steady when running through the swim). 4lb maxima mainline (treated to float) and a size 16 super spade to 4.12lb reflo hooklength. I deliberately overdepthed the rig by 18 inch, to help steady the bait.

I sat in my chair and continued to spray maggots every 1-2 min - noting any signs (flat-spots, flashes under the water, chub opening their mouths - quite easy to spot in clear water, tails flicking out of the water ect etc). This I did for 2 hours and by that time I had created a feeding frenzy, whereby probably most of the chub from 150 meters down stream were competing for maggots in my swim - probably 50-70 chub.........your adrenaline is being produced big time when you witness this.

First chuck I caught a chub. I caught another instantly on the next cast. I put the rod down and increased the feed to every 30 seconds as there were big numbers of fish in the swim. I wanted to increase the feeding frenzy and become oblivious of their brethen being pulled to my bank. I re-cast after 30 minutes to maximise the fishes confidence in increase inhibitions and caught 20 chub in the next 3 hours. I packed up, as I needed to pick up my daughters (fish still feeding hard). The bloke downstream - who was pulling his hair out, as he only had 1 trout, moved in. I gave him the remaining 3 pints of maggots, but noticed he was fishing far too shallow, his gear was too light, as was his float - he would be lucky if he caught more than 5 fish - he didn't have any whilst I was packing up.

If you want me to cover my stillwater approach, let me know - but I need to go.
Shaun, respect my friend, irrespective of whats been said here before or after your last big post I know you as a passionate angler who has had some really good catches in recant years and no doubt will continue to carry on doing the same for years to come.
Please dont be discouraged- in depth answers like the one you,ve just given are always welcome as some on FM really do need them-- its what they jion for but are at times seemingly ignore d or received in a somewhat poor light despite the good intentions that they are delivered with.
Whats important to understand is that many on here are far more experienced than you and - dare I say it even me even after sixty plus years of angling .
We all get the occasional bit of stick, it s forum world but its the way we communicate until something we know is better comes along.
In the meantime --- have a good last three months of fishing-- i may see you bankside. If not then ----keep posting !!!!!
Flight---:)

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Sorry guys but respect is earned through being bloody good at what you do added to humility.
It certainly doesn't come with a job title or to those continually blowing their own trumpet

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Shaun,

I have no axe to grind, re your approach or success's. But, quoting from your original post,''One thing that places me above ''Joe Bloggs'', and ''What stands me out in comparison to my fellow angling peers''. Comes across as arrogant to the vast majority, little wonder that you receive the reaction you are currently getting. A little modesty goes a long way. Just my opinion.

C

chefster

Shaun, respect my friend, irrespective of whats been said here before or after your last big post I know you as a passionate angler who has had some really good catches in recant years and no doubt will continue to carry on doing the same for years to come.
Please dont be discouraged- in depth answers like the one you,ve just given are always welcome as some on FM really do need them-- its what they jion for but are at times seemingly ignore d or received in a somewhat poor light despite the good intentions that they are delivered with.
Whats important to understand is that many on here are far more experienced than you and - dare I say it even me even after sixty plus years of angling .
We all get the occasional bit of stick, it s forum world but its the way we communicate until something we know is better comes along.
In the meantime --- have a good last three months of fishing-- i may see you bankside. If not then ----keep posting !!!!!
Flight---:)
Whilst i can accept that Shaun is a passionate angler,and maybe had some good pleasure bags of fish,there is a gulf between offering advice and coming on bigging yourself up,and posting up what is basically a boastful blog of a good session,come on you must expect to get some stick::D,i dont see what my profession has to do with anything though:confused:..Gazza

cg74

Reaction score
Shaun, did you really think comments like these would sit easy with members of this forum, or any other collection of anglers:
"One thing which places me above Joe Bloggs"
" I think, this is what 'stands me out' in comparison to my fellow angling peers."
"Standing out"

That aside, baiting-up/triggering a feeding response in our targets is secondary only to location. I say second and not joint first because if you use any halfway suitable bait and put it right in the face of, you'll get takes. Whereas if they ain't in your swim and can't be drawn to it, you'll blank.

Without wishing to put a downer on your catch, 100lb of chub really isn't that much of a rarity these days. Sadly you won't name the river in question, though I fully appreciate why not. But I could be underestimating the true magnitude of your catch if I knew...?
As things stand, I could name at least 6 Yorkshire rivers that are more than capable of throwing up bags like yours, especially for a pleasure angler.
Here's an indicator to the potential of one Yorkshire river:

Here's a club match result from Sunday the 7th of December:

NORTHALLERTON DAC MATCH
RIVER SWALE
(Report by Kevin Weighell)
River low for first 3hours then came up 2ft
1st Fred Hardcastle 54-11-0
18 chub wag and magg
2nd Paul Kozyra 50-7-0
18 chub wag and magg
3rd Ian Swarbeck 33-10-0
13 chub on bread
4th Lee Furness 27-10-0
9 chub
5th Pete Miller 23-8-0
7 chub
(14 double figures)

I know none of the anglers really came close to 100lb but bearing in mind, they only fished for 5hrs and were sharing the fishery with at least 18 others.
Please note I'm not saying your catch was easily achieved, just offering some perspective to it all.

Your bream haul is a far harder feat to replicate, in that there are far fewer opportunities for an angler to get to fish of that calibre.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Shaun, Thank you for your detailed explanation of that river session. I agree that local knowledge, walking the banks and taking into account wind, weather and seasons does help to maximise success. I certainly would be interested in your still water approach.

robertroach

Reaction score
Shaun stands out because he is so full of himself. He is bursting out all over with his ability and intelligence and prowess. His head is so big it towers above the rest of the crowd.
The fish must be well scared when Shaun is about.

silvers

Reaction score
Over the last 20 odd years since the net started up, I've met and fished with a lot of guys who I've met via the forums or mailing lists. Very rarely are they really poor anglers and at least 50% of them are really good anglers, because these online guys are the passionate ones. The truth is, it's pretty easy to become one of the 5% of guys who catch 95% of the fish, y'just gotta read up on it and get out there and practice for a few decades - the really tricky bit is becoming one of the top 1% and I probably only know less than a handfull of those. In fact, after Paul Garner and Dave Steuart I start scratching my head...
So, viewed from the right perspective, pretty much everyone reading this is likely to be in the top 5% too - so "head n'shoulders" above the masses. I think even I scrape in to that 5% too - nothing big-headed about it, it's just fact; the more you practice, the luckier you get ;)

Most sensible post on this thread ... by a mile!!

The things that make me stand out from other anglers on the venues I fish (the open match river circuit of the midlands -as referred to earlier by Chefster I think)?
a) kit from the 70s and 80s (ASI, Mitchell matches, ABU 507s etc)
b) a pink fleece and windproof jacket
:wh

nicepix

Reaction score
Shaun stands out because he is so full of himself. He is bursting out all over with his ability and intelligence and prowess. His head is so big it towers above the rest of the crowd.
The fish must be well scared when Shaun is about.

At least he is prepared to share some of his knowledge and methods.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of when I was a young kid growing up in Leicester when I used to fish one of the first commercially stocked carp ponds. My previous experience was fishing a polluted, red coloured running river soar and my local rothley brook(now nearly dried up) and the ashby canal.......needless to say I was not catching much on the natural venues!

My favourite tackle shop was Marks and Marlow and I was sort of embarrassed to tell them my meagre catch returns when in the shop, but when I was catching these monster carp,tench and crucians out of this new pool every time I went in the shop I had to tell them ......and it bordered onto I was this experienced angler that could catch more than most even at the age of 14!.....they took it all with a pinch of salt, advised and humoured me, one line that always came from the shop was I was a true legend in my own lunch box.

Sticks with me to this day, I catch a few, enjoy my fishing and at times work hard for it...to be honest no matter how many fish I catch I'll always be a legend in my own lunch box!

P.S. If your a Leicester lad It was Graham Barry who coined the phrase and attached It to me and it stuck for many years, not that I minded one bit!:)

laguna

Reaction score
At least he is prepared to share some of his knowledge and methods.
and sticks his head above the parapet especially with his 'here's how I did it' follow up!
Any regrets for doing so? I'm sure he has, just a shame some foster a negative attitude towards triumph (a British trait), I'm sure we all have a trumpet to blow....

except me, I prefer base guitar! :D

nicepix

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of when I was a young kid growing up in Leicester when I used to fish one of the first commercially stocked carp ponds. My previous experience was fishing a polluted, red coloured running river soar and my local rothley brook(now nearly dried up) and the ashby canal.......needless to say I was not catching much on the natural venues!

My favourite tackle shop was Marks and Marlow and I was sort of embarrassed to tell them my meagre catch returns when in the shop, but when I was catching these monster carp,tench and crucians out of this new pool every time I went in the shop I had to tell them ......and it bordered onto I was this experienced angler that could catch more than most even at the age of 14!.....they took it all with a pinch of salt, advised and humoured me, one line that always came from the shop was I was a true legend in my own lunch box.

Sticks with me to this day, I catch a few, enjoy my fishing and at times work hard for it...to be honest no matter how many fish I catch I'll always be a legend in my own lunch box!

P.S. If your a Leicester lad It was Graham Barry who coined the phrase and attached It to me and it stuck for many years, not that I minded one bit!:)

My 'handle' in **** Clegg's emporium was 'Kid's Tactics'. That came about from the one and only true open match I ever fished. I was drawn next to Cleggy with Tommy Pickering and Dennis White within 6 pegs. I won the match with 6lbs 0oz fishing 6" from the end of my 12' rod in 18" of water while Cleggy who was the only Barnsley Black who could see me fishing stuck to his long range waggler approach. Walking up to where they doshed the prizes out he told a mate of mine who was also a 'Black' that he didn't mind losing, but not to someone fishing 'kid's tactics'. My mate never let it drop, but to be fair, he mainly took the pee out of Cleggy.

I never fished another one. I peaked at that moment. Played one, won one, drawn none, lost none against three internationals. :D

flightliner

Reaction score
My 'handle' in **** Clegg's emporium was 'Kid's Tactics'. That came about from the one and only true open match I ever fished. I was drawn next to Cleggy with Tommy Pickering and Dennis White within 6 pegs. I won the match with 6lbs 0oz fishing 6" from the end of my 12' rod in 18" of water while Cleggy who was the only Barnsley Black who could see me fishing stuck to his long range waggler approach. Walking up to where they doshed the prizes out he told a mate of mine who was also a 'Black' that he didn't mind losing, but not to someone fishing 'kid's tactics'. My mate never let it drop, but to be fair, he mainly took the pee out of Cleggy.

I never fished another one. I peaked at that moment. Played one, won one, drawn none, lost none against three internationals. :D
Lol ! We used to fish for Stillwater chub into the night on a notts pit. Arrived one Sunday afternoon when a Black n rem Holland knock up had been diverted from a flooded trent. Only one guy had had a bite and took the honours. Before the weigh in I set my macky strip rigs up on two old ss7 glass rods ready for the matches end. The guy in the peg asked if I was going for pike-- "chub friend" which raised an eyebrow.
Anyway match ends and said peg occupier moved so I could get my gear in place. Cast out and in seconds had a butt ringer for a biggish chub- another a few minutes later- more raised eyebrows.
Had to smile but in truth if I'd been in the match I'd like as not been fish less.
blacks, notts fed and a few others were superb outfits in their day.

ravey

Reaction score
Trentmen were a real force in my backyard. I'd have loved to have known (still do!) what set those men apart. Neil Parkinson, Steve Clark and others were ace with roach and very versatile anglers.

flightliner

Reaction score
Trentmen were a real force in my backyard. I'd have loved to have known (still do!) what set those men apart. Neil Parkinson, Steve Clark and others were ace with roach and very versatile anglers.
Hi Ravey, I heard of a massive roach weight off the trent about three weeks back so decided to give it a go ( the rack) . The exact swim was well below in a quite eddy where the river runs across to the far bank which gives the roach some easy water, I tried to find some similar water but no joy.
Ran a stik down a treat all day without a bite!.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Baiting and waiting is a tried and tested method for river fishing...but like most on this forum....I am afraid I don't possess the necessary qualities nor do I possess the necessary patience either....to achieve catches like the opening post on this thread.

So....I just chuck in as soon as I get set up...and basically hope for the best. There was once a time when I did catch more than 100lb of chub with a couple of small barbel thrown in...it was on the Swale at Topcliffe Weir fishing from the peninsula down stream. It was no big deal or piece of good fishing from me....there was that many chub ...anybody would have caught them...great day though.

I have tried the bait and wait approach and to be honest.....it has never really worked for me......but that is nothing new to me where fishing is concerned.

....so I suppose the reason I stand out from my peers....is because I am so cr*p at fishing.

Maverick

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score

I only fished matches because it was the only way I could get to places like the Trent, Witham, Welland and North Yorkshire rivers in my teens. On the Trent I always came well down the list. Could never fish that river and one of the old timers always won by a mile. No matter what peg he drew he would run a stick float through it, Match Aerial reel on a cane and fibreglass rod. I can see him now, fawn mackintosh coat, brown trilby, pipe in mouth diligently trotting the same line over and over again. The only time I won owt on the Tent was when I drew John as partner in the pairs section. He caught enough for both of us. :D

The match I mentioned earlier was a fluke as you have probably guessed. The level of the reservoir was a lot lower than normal due to engineering works and the usual flyer pegs were high and dry. I had fished it a couple of times that week while on holiday from work and knew the best method for those conditions. It was a three hour evening match and by the time Cleggy had woken up to the fact that I was catching regularly at the rod end it was too late.

Latterly the res' became the home water for the Barnsley Blacks who had established their reputation on the big Trent matches though Tommy Pickering and Dennis White could catch fish anywhere. I don't think the Blacks ever lost a home match. There was one occasion when they were in a competition much like the FA Cup in that each team was drawn against another and fished the match at whichever venue the first team out of the hat chose. Home and away sort of thing. The Blacks drew away to some team near Selby who chose a venue with no fish in it on the basis that they had more chance in the toss of the coin than fishing against Barnsley. In the event one of the home team caught a bootlace and settled it.