Starting up!

sheffields12

Reaction score
Hey guys,

trying to gather as much info as possible as i don't want to buy the wrong stuff and waste some money!

Anyway, I'm starting up, from scratch. I fished when i was about 12/13 but that's it!

I will be looking to fish on the local canal area's as well as the fisheries. What would be a good starting rod and reel? Baring in mind I don't want to spend TOO much, possibly £40-50? I've seen rod and reel deals around for this price but I want to check with you lot first.

Preferebly buy from Go Out Doors as we have a discount card there.

I've seen some of the following, would they be totally useless? Again, please bare in mind I want something to just start off, once i get into it I will start to pour my money into it!
Combo: Ron Thompson Match Combo - 10' 3-Section Rod + Rear Drag Reel | GO Outdoors

Rod: Shakespeare Omni 10 ft Feeder Rod, 2 section | GO Outdoors
Reel: Shakespeare Omni 60 Freespool Reel with Line | GO Outdoors

Edit: Forgot to add, I'm not after massive carp, I'm just wanting to go out there, fish and catch what I catch. Start off small and simple.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
What type of fishing will you be wanting to do? Float fishing or ledgering/feeder fishing?

The Shakespeare OMNI feeder rod and reel that you showed in your links looks fine for feeder and bomb work, however If you wanted to fish a light waggler float to the far shelf of a canal or close to the far bank then I would seriously give that short 10ft Ron Thompson float rod a miss and go for a rod of around the 12ft mark (11 to 13ft); which will make casting a float to the far shelf of a canal or even a couple rod lengths out on a Stillwater a lot easier to do, and a lot more accurate too.

NB: The 12ft Shakespeare OMNI float rod that they advertise on the same web site looks fine.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shakespeare-omni-12ft-match-rod-p261062

Or if you are likely to catch slightly larger fish then the Maver Abyss X Series 12ft Match 2-Piece float Rod that they advertise on that web site looks very good and is only a few pounds more and is a 2 piece rod so can be carried ready made up with a reel attached very easily.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/maver-abyss-12ft-match-2-piece-rod-p272459

I hope you find exactly what you need and you decide to take up the sport seriously, it's a great sport that will hook you for life Lol.

tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

sheffields12

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I will be float fishing to begin with as that's bow I used to do it with my Grandad as a kid.

So float fishing in the canal and the local lakes around Sheffield etc. I'm off to the go outdoors shop Sunday so any recommendations welcome and I can go with some ideas in mind!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Shakespeare rods are good value for money , I'd say a 11 or 12 ft float rod would be ok

For reels spend as much as you can afford , buying cheap reels is false economy

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
If you're starting from scratch there's far more to consider than rod and reel.
You won't want to hear this but I suggest leaving your return to fishing til next spring. And in the meantime learn all you can.

robtherake

Reaction score
Getting the absolute basics to accompany your rod and reel - which must include a reasonable landing net at the very least - will easily double your budget.

Have a look on Chapman's Angling's website - they have some good deals on reels suitable for float fishing, down from £60 to £20 or £30 in some cases. They're likely to be a step above the budget models you're currently looking at.

Here's one such example at half price: https://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/garbolino-supercaster-carbon-35fd-reel~18311.html

I've seen Chapmans' Stillwater range of rods in use and they look like serious value for money. The basic Daiwa D-Fish match rods are also well thought of.

https://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/stillwaterpro-matchstix-rods~15628.html

I wouldn't go so far as to discourage you from making a start this year, but picking a water where the fish don't run too big while you build up some skills might be a sensible thing to do.

Last edited:

sheffields12

Reaction score
Fantastic help guys, all this is really appriciated.

My brother in law used to go fishing and says he has some stuff I can use, so I may well be able to get hold of a lot of the tackle like net, box etc from him until I get my own, but the box mentioned above is something I have been looking at.

My friend also goes fishing, tagged along with him at the weekend and will be going with him a few times first, so again he will have stuff I can use (Net etc).

My intention is to get more skilled now, ready for next year.

I've been looking at the Shakespeare rods, so might go with one of them.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Shakespeare rods, so might go with one of them.

Shakespeare have always made some decent rods.

Shakespeare used to provide rods and other tackle for the England Match team back in the days when Clive Smith and Ken Giles used to help design some of their tackle.

I hope you find exactly what you need

Keith

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
One thing to remember is you don't have to be a tackle tart to catch and fish. The fish haven't a clue if you're using a £1000 rod of a £50. You will have the same fun with money still in your pocket.

sheffields12

Reaction score
I have purchased my tackle now, i have rod, reel and a box to sit on with all the others like a net, mat etc.

So I'm ready to head out on Sunday if I'm feeling confident (I'll be on my own).

I'll be heading out to a local fishery (Aston Fisheries, Sheffield). I'll probably ask the guys there for some adfvice too, but I'm wondering what bait would be best to use? I'm obviously wanting to target the smaller fish rather than the large sized carp.

oyster

Reaction score
If I was to start fishing the canal, I would consider using a whip you can get one for under a tenner. If you want to fish past the mid channel and there is flow/wind on the water a rod and reel can be challenging.

As you get more idea on where you want to fish and what you want to catch then buy something more specific.

robtherake

Reaction score
I have purchased my tackle now, i have rod, reel and a box to sit on with all the others like a net, mat etc.

So I'm ready to head out on Sunday if I'm feeling confident (I'll be on my own).

I'll be heading out to a local fishery (Aston Fisheries, Sheffield). I'll probably ask the guys there for some adfvice too, but I'm wondering what bait would be best to use? I'm obviously wanting to target the smaller fish rather than the large sized carp.

Fish maggot on a smallish hook to give the best chance of lots of smaller fish. A pinch of maggots around your float every cast should keep them interested without attracting too many of the bigger fish, although in a carp-oriented fishery the chances are high that you'll hook one every so often, so don't go too light with your hooklength and make sure your reel clutch is set so that a fish can take line without breaking you off. Most of all, just enjoy it.:)

sheffields12

Reaction score
Amazing help as always guys, you've been really helpful and that has helped keep my interest up.

I'm worried more about been on my own around other anglers, I don't want to upset anyone by doing something wrong! Hopefully I can get a peg where I'm a little out of the way. We all have to start somewhere!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Fish maggot on a smallish hook to give the best chance of lots of smaller fish. A pinch of maggots around your float every cast should keep them interested without attracting too many of the bigger fish, although in a carp-oriented fishery the chances are high that you'll hook one every so often, so don't go too light with your hooklength and make sure your reel clutch is set so that a fish can take line without breaking you off. Most of all, just enjoy it.:)

Also take a few slices of bread - small piece on the hook will get you bites - and maybe a cheap tin of sweet corn in your bag in case you need a back up bait

sheffields12

Reaction score
Me again, you sick of me yet?!

I bought some hook to nylon, size 10 but the breaking strain is 7lb.
The line on my reel is 6lb.

Am I right in thinking I needed lower breaking strain?

I have hooks that are not to nylon, is it a bad thing to just tie these to my line? That's how i used to do it, but heard to nylon are just that bit easier hence why i bought some!

I'm also congused with hook sizes... Sounds daft but are size 12 a bigger hook then size 10? Or do the sizes go the other way, e.g. lower number, bigger hook?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I bought some hook to nylon, size 10 but the breaking strain is 7lb.
The line on my reel is 6lb.

Am I right in thinking I needed lower breaking strain?

That depends on who you ask. However, to keep things simple, yes, ideally a hooklink should be of a lower breaking strain than mainline.

I have hooks that are not to nylon, is it a bad thing to just tie these to my line?

Not necessarily, plenty of people fish their mainline direct to hooks. Much depends on the circumstances. How much risk is there that a fish could end up towing your float around because your mainline broke above the float?

I'm also congused with hook sizes... Sounds daft but are size 12 a bigger hook then size 10? Or do the sizes go the other way, e.g. lower number, bigger hook?

The bigger the number the smaller the hook.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Thank you very much! That's really helpful, I'm worried as a beginner I'm going to break a few lines, and I'd like to lose as little floats as possible! I'll look for some decent hooks to nylon with a lower B/S

flightliner

Reaction score
Amazing help as always guys, you've been really helpful and that has helped keep my interest up.

I'm worried more about been on my own around other anglers, I don't want to upset anyone by doing something wrong! Hopefully I can get a peg where I'm a little out of the way. We all have to start somewhere!
Sheffields 12, hi, the perfect place for you on your visit to aston springs would be on Aleeshes pond behind the tackle shop n cafe with your back to the bypass.
It's very likely that the other ponds will be matched up with loads of bait going in and little room whereas aleeshes is left pretty empty.
It's full of small fish that should be feeding pretty good in this warm weather that are good to practice on.Take robtherakes advice a few posts back and you should do ok.
I dont live very far away and there's an offchance that I may be around for some reason or other, if I am I will look to see if anyone is on the pond and if there is I'll pop over and introduce myself.
Absolutely no promises mind, as family commitments often change my plans.:)

sheffields12

Reaction score
Sheffields 12, hi, the perfect place for you on your visit to aston springs would be on Aleeshes pond behind the tackle shop n cafe with your back to the bypass.
It's very likely that the other ponds will be matched up with loads of bait going in and little room whereas aleeshes is left pretty empty.
It's full of small fish that should be feeding pretty good in this warm weather that are good to practice on.Take robtherakes advice a few posts back and you should do ok.
I dont live very far away and there's an offchance that I may be around for some reason or other, if I am I will look to see if anyone is on the pond and if there is I'll pop over and introduce myself.
Absolutely no promises mind, as family commitments often change my plans.:)
Thank you very much!

But when on their website, i don't see any "Aleeshes" on their website. Just want to check we are talking about the same place?

Here is where I was thinking: Home | Aston Park Fisheries | Sheffield's Premier Fishery

I believe there is also another fishery around there... KJS? But they don't have a website so I can't check if that's the same one.
I need somewhere that sells bait (maggots) as I won't get chance to buy them from anywhere else as I will be at Hillsborough for football on Saturday!

Edit: having another look at the site plan, do you mean the Eliysia's pond? That appears to be behind the cafe and tackle shop :)

Last edited: