Starting up!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Hi KJS have the lower ponds at Aston fishery - these may well be matches on these too - there is a "snake lake" that will be matches up but there is a smaller pond behind that that will be open to fish

Also KJS has some ponds up Station Road in Killamarsh - I'll be fishing up there tonight if the weather holds - put over if you want

sheffields12

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer buddy, but I'm not available tonight!

I believe he meant the Pond Elisyas (Something like that!) at Aston, it says on their website it's aimed at coaching so I think I'll head out on there.

flightliner

Reaction score
Thank you very much!

But when on their website, i don't see any "Aleeshes" on their website. Just want to check we are talking about the same place?

Here is where I was thinking: Home | Aston Park Fisheries | Sheffield's Premier Fishery

I believe there is also another fishery around there... KJS? But they don't have a website so I can't check if that's the same one.
I need somewhere that sells bait (maggots) as I won't get chance to buy them from anywhere else as I will be at Hillsborough for football on Saturday!

Edit: having another look at the site plan, do you mean the Eliysia's pond? That appears to be behind the cafe and tackle shop :)
Yes, thats the one, and they sell bait also, you mention Hillsboro on saturday ( sharp intake of breath) , lol, we all make sacrifices :D

sheffields12

Reaction score
Let's not talk football then! =P

I'll head over there onto that pond with some maggots.

Cheers!

sheffields12

Reaction score
Well, out I went this morning, nice early start. Headed to Aston Fisheries and fished the Bills lake as advised by the guys there.

Caught quite a lot, most of them small, but a couple of them not too bad size. Only managed a few pictures! The last picture below was probably my biggest and was my first catch! Landed within 5min after casting.

Thanks for all your help guys!

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Well, out I went this morning, nice early start. Headed to Aston Fisheries and fished the Bills lake as advised by the guys there.

Caught quite a lot, most of them small, but a couple of them not too bad size. Only managed a few pictures! The last picture below was probably my biggest and was my first catch! Landed within 5min after casting.

Thanks for all your help guys!

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0905.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg
Sheffield s12, I had a walk down about 11am this morning to see you but was dissapointed to see that the lake we had talked about was temporarily closed to angling which was a little vexing.
Anyway not knowing how to find you I spent a half hour chatting to a couple of guys on the lily pond then a quick visit to see the owner of the complex in his tackle shop before legging it back home.
Seems you did ok tho by your piks so nice to see you made out ok.
Flight----:)

sheffields12

Reaction score
Yeah I was a bit gutted to see that one closed too, as I was all set to fish on that one.
But the guys in the shop pointed me in the right direction, even came over a couple of times to see if I needed any help... Very helpful guys and I'll be heading back k there that's for sure!

One thing I struggled with are greedy little ones almost swallowing the whole hook! Can be quite tricky getting out ensuring you're not hurting the buggers!

Also, any idea what fish they are in the pics? The little one looks like a baby mirror carp.

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Thank you very much! That's really helpful, I'm worried as a beginner I'm going to break a few lines, and I'd like to lose as little floats as possible! I'll look for some decent hooks to nylon with a lower B/S

There's no reason with the clutch set right and a smooth rod action you can't land a 10lb carp on 4lb line say. It's all about feeling when the fish lunges - you'll feel it through the rod. let the fish take the line without bullying it though you'll have to watch it doesn't snag you or drift over into the next blokes peg. You'll have to play it longer than a stronger line.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Yeah I've been told by a friend of mine to just let the fish swim around but keep the line tight. Let it tire itself out then reel it in.

Not caught anything too big so far, will probably aim for the bigger fish as time goes by.

Still trying to find decent places to go, I only know Aston Fishery so that's where I go at min, looking at better places to head out with a friend but he's not from round here, so neither of us are too sure.

Good to see a fellow Owl ton here too!

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Yeah I've been told by a friend of mine to just let the fish swim around but keep the line tight. Let it tire itself out then reel it in.

Not caught anything too big so far, will probably aim for the bigger fish as time goes by.

Still trying to find decent places to go, I only know Aston Fishery so that's where I go at min, looking at better places to head out with a friend but he's not from round here, so neither of us are too sure.

Good to see a fellow Owl ton here too!

Bradley's ponds at Ford, Ridgeway is a great venue. Not too big but 4 ponds to choose from. Top pond mainly smaller carp, bream, small tench, roach, crucian, perch etc. Carp up to 16lb but not many biggest I've had out of there was 9lb. Good pond for general fishing. The island pond is full of decent carp up to 18lb so only target that one if you're geared up with heavier tackle - fishes well with waggler or bomb, curried luncheon meat works best for me. There are catfish up to 60lb but I've never seen one had some small ones though. The bottom two ponds through the trees say pole only but you can fish with a rod and reel they are full of smaller carp up to 4lb lots of crucian s etc there can be a few bigger ones in too. Good pond for pellet waggler tactics Best time to go there is early morning until dinner time or after 3 or 4 till it goes dark - you'll not catch much in between. UTO

rubio

Reaction score
May not be relevant but have you been enlightened in the art of removing hooks with a disgorger?
Not a complex procedure but a very important skill to have for fish welfare.

sheffields12

Reaction score
May not be relevant but have you been enlightened in the art of removing hooks with a disgorger?
Not a complex procedure but a very important skill to have for fish welfare.

Yeah I have one :)

I might have to try Bradleys next. How much is it for a day there? Do they come and collect or do I have to get a ticket from somewhere? :)

Also, last question... Do you go with any maggots/worms? I like to fish on a Sunday, so most tackle shops are not open for me to buy some bait early on a Sunday morning!

wawaw1867

Reaction score
Yeah I have one :)

I might have to try Bradleys next. How much is it for a day there? Do they come and collect or do I have to get a ticket from somewhere? :)

Also, last question... Do you go with any maggots/worms? I like to fish on a Sunday, so most tackle shops are not open for me to buy some bait early on a Sunday morning!

It's £6 he will come and collect it from you. I usually fish the top pond with the method feeder to target the carp/tench and bream, my daughter uses maggots/casters etc. using float and rod, catching roach, perch, odd carp and tench (if you're on the bottom). Bream will go for corn and worm on the bottom. The second pond I fish with a waggler/float rod and a carp rod/bomb on the the bottom (if you're fishing the island pond with a float get some hooks with bands size 12,14 and 16 and fish with 4 or 6mm pellets feeding a few each cast or 6mm cubes of luncheon meat for bigger carp. Not really many silvers in that pond. The bottom pond is good for pellets with lots of small to average sized carp, I had a great sesion with banded hooks and casters on there.

You're probably better off on top pond to fish generally and get used to the venue etc before fishing for the bigger fish. Be ready though as you can get the odd double - when you least expect it lol. Good luck!!

The top pond is the one on you're right as you go down the track from the entrance - watch the track if you've got a low car it's very bumpy. You can park at the top and walk down if you want. Climax fishing tackle opens at 8am on a sunday I think. Remember at Bradley's it can be hard going for an hour or two in the afternoon.

Last edited: