Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

A

alan whittington

Been on the web-cam just now and looked at another site mentioning immenent flooding at Abingdon,peaking at approximately 11.45pm,sounds horrendous.:eek:

Specihunter

Reaction score
Had a small chub above oxford , but worse still watched 4 cormorants fly over my head heading further up the river.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Worse still I had no Perch or Roach bites at all.

Reaction score
I walked down the tidal Thames on Sunday from East Molesey down to well below Hampton Court. I saw 1 angler!

In my yoof...the Hampton Court stretch especially near where the Mole joins OFT was a top spot for fish of size. Saw a couple of Corms.

Just sad really

A

alan whittington

Fished last Saturday below Abingdon,blanked missed two definite chub pulls and possibly another,mate never had a touch,plenty of cormorants flying up and downstream plus three goosanders.

A

alan whittington

This must be the worst winter for actually getting good fishing conditions in many a year,if there are any fish left on the middle river they must be knackered,with the pace of it.:rolleyes:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
James

Where you thinking of going?

I've (maybe!) got a pm pass for Saturday, my heart says the river, my head says a lake!!

Not much time left now in what surely must have been a pretty patchy season for most of us? Just wait, come june 16th we'll have forgotten all about it!

A

alan whittington

On the Thames James?How high(no readings at weekend)?I blanked in tandem with you on the Ouse(two good taps on cheese).

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I actually managed a couple of chub on Saturday late pm, it was a bit of a novelty actually getting out and catching!

Cheesepaste on the hook and liquidised bread in the feeder, as some othes have noted the flow and levels are back to what I would expect with reasonably clear water conditions too so simple enough to hold to a far bank feature without getting rolled away.

Frustratingly, after catching on my first and third casts (and missing a dirty great wallop on the tip on my second) the swim went dead. Never mind, after the seaon that we've endured it was nice to have a bit of success on what will probably be my last river outing of the year.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Well done Jim. I'm hoping to employ the same tactics on our match at Sandford this Sunday

A

alan whittington

I wonder how many blanks Thames anglers have totted up this season Jim,i bet there's a lot of fishless hours,eh?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I managed to get home from work reasonably early last night.... all the kit was still set up from Saturday, bait ready. Like a muppet I thought "it will be light till after 6, I'll get down the river for the last 45mins or so..."

Same swim as Saturday. Same bait, same tactics. Not a bl**dy touch!

So maybe appropriately, the season finishes with a blank. Another one in the bag Alan!

A

alan whittington

Well,well Jim,ive been today,missed one,lost one(slipped hook),so i join you in another blank,the day was made however by having a pair of red kites mate in the trees opposite 4 times(i know im a pervert,lol)and the afore said pair mobbing a pair of buzzards,who did no more than flip over and show off their talons,noisily.:)

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Alan, if I'm not mistaken the red kites used to repopulate the chilterns (which is where I suspect the pair you saw yesterday descended from) were Spanish apparently - and one of the features they were chosen for was their legendary latin approach to all matters love-related if you get my drift!

One of the swims I fish in Abingdon often has a buzzard patrolling the far side of the river, I can never get bored of watching them soar... so much so that I've missed some corking bites as a result!

Specihunter

Reaction score
I did see a kingfisher on saturday flying past the reeds opposite the car park always makes me day seeing one of those. Did you see that the medley/sandford stretch made into to the top 50 river hot spots in Angling times.